What's new

Formula 1™ Topic

marc

CF Legend
They used different cameras last year that moved but people kept saying it made them feel sick lol. They had been used in the USA for years.

marc

CF Legend
Merc seem to have an advantage right now. If testing is accurate is merc, mclaren followed by Ferrari, Force India and Williams.

Merc have about half second advantage by sounds if it.

Again we don't know fuel loads but on a race simulation they are one second a lap faster than the Mclaren.

We could have a boring year.

Renualt are still no where.

Smithy

Strata Poster
So those in the know are suggesting Mercedes are the front-runners.

Followed by McLaren and Ferrari splitting hairs depending on upgrades before Melbourne.

Then it's Williams and Force India.

The Lotus has been impressive in it's limited running apparently, and the Red Bull has shown promise performance wise when they've pushed.

Basically, this season is going to be a case of can Vettel reel in Hamilton/Rosberg before the season is over.

marc

CF Legend
Ferrari have problems though which could count them out, in order to get near the mercs they are using too much fuel so on a race simulation they are slower as they have to turn the engine down more. Merc engine cars are doing the distance easy so they might even be able to start with less fuel. Ferrari are now trying new parts to make their cars better on fuel, but it's clear there is a problem.

Merc appear to have quite an advantage they are doing times others can only do on softer tyres. The scary thing is they only started testing new parts today so they could go even faster.

The 1st race won't really tell is much but when they get to a proper race track we will get the true order.

Renualt have yet to run full power and it could be a few races before they do.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I have never really gotten into F1 and forgive me for a perhaps stupid comment, why would you have a race at night? I know you have street lights and everything but it's dark XD sorry if I'm being stupid.

marc

CF Legend
They are doing race sims now and lewis is in the 39's no one else is close.

Lewis went off this morning due to driver error not a car problem.

Rbr are the fastest Renualt team by a long way.

They recon the Renault is 20 kph slower on the straights!

Looks like the engine freeze will be extended lol.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Jordanovichy said:
I have never really gotten into F1 and forgive me for a perhaps stupid comment, why would you have a race at night? I know you have street lights and everything but it's dark XD sorry if I'm being stupid.

They have artificial lighting to such a strength that the track is as light as it would be in daylight. The drivers wear different visors to protect them from the glare though which means you can actually see their eyes in slow-motion replays and pictures which is pretty cool.

If you're on about ''why'', part of it is marketing, part of it is to do with time-zones for key markets.

Aye thing I'm thinking Marc is that even though the Red Bull's havent had some serious running they're looked pretty quick in short bursts. I reckon at the end of this season we'll see quite a few teams looking to drop out tbh.

marc

CF Legend
The red bull is by all accounts the best car out there, but they have really pushed it and that's why they are having problems. They will be up there that's for sure, if they can lady that's another thing.

Merc are now pushing and breaking down as well so it's not looking as good for them.

First few races we could get a team that can get their cars to the end wining a race so we could see some shock results.

Also looks like Massa is lucky he got dumped by Ferrari as the Williams looks better.

Ferrari simply don't have the grip in high speed corners.

marc

CF Legend
So they recon the order is.

1. Merc
2. Williams
3. Force India
4. Ferrari
5. Mclaren
6. Rbr
7. Str
8. Virgin
9. Lotus
10. Caterham who are miles of the pace and might not even get to race.

Rbr will improve they have not really set a proper lap.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Aye Marussia have a chance to make a big leap this year. Reckon it'll be the last year for Caterham and Lotus definitely.

Lol at Maldonado dropping the Williams seat for a Lotus. Mug deserves it. Hulkenberg lucked out though too.

Force India will be the big unknown I fancy, best chance they have of race wins would be in the first few races. But frankly after shafting Di Resta I'm not arsed about them.

Ferrari and McLaren seem to have stalled in this last test.

I reckon in qualifying, barring breakdowns, we'll see Red Bull's easily make Q3 but in the race struggle.

marc

CF Legend
I missed out Sauber on that list but they are around Str.

The red bull is meant to be stunning just slow on the straight and breaks down. If they can finish a race they will be ok but they don't have the speed yet.

If they were to do quali now merc would have the top 8 slots. Nothing can compete with the merc teams on full power.

1st race is not about engine power though so who knows.

Mclaren are still in launch spec so come the first race they could be up there.

Ferrari have this fuel problem that will effect all their cars. Turn the engine up and run out of fuel. Plus anyway the Ferrari is lacking grip at the rear.

Williams have done a great job tbh as have Force India.

marc

CF Legend
Yes went to do it at the weekend but was unable to.

Just entered my team but might change it, no fully sure on one driver.

Have gone for the locked option but might change to the other one as so much is up in the air with form.