What's new

Flamingo Land | "Hero" | Zamperla Volare

Pierre

Strata Poster
Hero is open - hopefully this was just a soft opening and they're not going to open it without a bit of a song and dance...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/flamingolanduk/status/357014687172415488[/tweet]

peep

CF Legend
That tweet confuses me. It comes across as a 'why don't you know it's already open?'

I agree with Pierre that they should make a big song and dance about it opening at long last.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Re: Flamingo Land |

gavin said:
^ I'd argue that the cage is there to stop you falling out, but it doesn't really hold you in if that makes sense. The cage doesn't really touch you at all. It's more your own weight, combined with the body position, that's holding you in.

I dunno. There's not a lot of centripetal force in those rolls, and you don't get tossed around. I thought there was some kind of pad that lightly touches your back? (Jeez it's been a while since I rode any of these.)

Dan1989

Mega Poster
I have not been to Flamingo land since 2005, the year Velocity opened. I used to go every year in the caravans for a long weekend. seen the park go though many changes through t the years. It seemed as soon as I stopped going they devolved into a real top theme park. I will have to make the trip from Blackpool at some pint this summer to ride there newer coasters. This looks awesome, but I still really cant get my head those restraints???

Dan1989

Mega Poster
Just found a youtube video of the ride in operation

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NaH-NEPpcac[/youtube]

Tight turns!!!!

can somebody tell me how to link youtube vids please?

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Pierre, you're right, the launch event is on the website, and it's over 2 days.

Lemar will be on hand to open it officially on Wednesday. But the big attraction is Championship Manager legend Dean Windass, as he's way more famous than Lemar in the North East.

And then, there's another official launch day on Thursday. Some toff called Chris Eubank will be there. You'll be able to spot him by his truck which will be blocking about ten disabled spaces in the car park.
There's also former FHM 100 Sexiest Women regular Donna Air, currrently famous for hooking up with Kate Middleton's brother.

Holding out for a Hero? The wait is over…

Anyone who’s visited Flamingo Land Resort in recent weeks can’t have failed to notice that our fantastic new ride is nearing completion. Well, the countdown is almost over!

At midday on Wednesday 24th July, British R&B star Lemar will officially open Hero, our latest extreme coaster. As part of the celebrations, he’ll be joined by real life sporting heroes including Hull City legend, Dean Windass, jockey Daniel Tudhope, Yorkshire County Cricket Club, Rangers & Scotland legend Derek Johnstone, plus Olympic and World Champion athletes Chris Cook, Oliver Dingley and Chanelle McGill. But that’s not all; we’re also looking forward to welcoming Brian McDermott along with members of his Leeds United first team squad.

So, don’t miss out! Join us before 11:00 and enjoy a live performance by Lemar before Hero takes to the skies at 12:00!

However, for those of you who can’t join us on the 24th, there’s some excellent news. With Hero representing an investment of well over £8m, one launch day simply wasn’t enough. So, on Thursday 25th July, we’ll be doing it all again, this time in the company of boxing legend Chris Eubank and actress & TV presenter Donna Air.

Joining the Health Lottery ambassadors will be a whole host of both military and community heroes, from members of the Royal Air Force and British Armed Forces to our friends from the Yorkshire Air Ambulance Service.

Once again, the day kicks off at 11:00, with Hero open to the public from just after midday.

So, when the party’s over, simply climb aboard our latest white-knuckle ride and you’ll be guaranteed an unrestricted front seat view. And, as you climb the corkscrew to the launch platform, be sure to prepare for extreme turns, breathtaking falls and two heartline inversions, creating the sensation of zero gravity.

http://www.flamingoland.co.uk/theme-par ... event.html

sean

Mega Poster
owenrita121 said:
That's great news, suits the park very well if I'm honest.

In the sense that it is unthemed, ugly and is probably rough as hell?

And is being opened by Lemar!! Seriously....Lemar?!!!

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
sean said:
owenrita121 said:

I wouldn't say its ugly at all, yes the theming is minimal but its better than that wild mouse and don't judge before you ride. It's so nice to see someone so hopeful.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
It's better than the wild mouse, I'll give you that. It's not exactly leaps and bounds forwards either. Flamingo Land is one of Sean's local parks, so he knows the place all too well. It's exactly the sort of thing they've been installing of late. Cheap and cheerful, to keep people coming through the gates.

Some of us have been on a Volare before, and we know what to expect. They're not horrific, but they're nothing to write home about either. A plus one, and that's about it. Some of us are qualified to judge before we ride.

Ethan

Strata Poster
sean said:
owenrita121 said:

As said above, ride it first before making an opinion. Don't use somebody else's view.
And for the record, Lemar seems like a cool guy.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Agreed. The one at Genting Highlands was very fun and smooth. Despite being an upcharge attraction, I paid to ride it two more times AFTER my first two laps. The one at Canada's Wonderland, not so much.

Jake

Strata Poster
^ When did you go to Genting? It gave me a good beating in 2010. Canada's is a lot worse though, I'll give you that...

I actually think this one (FL) looks quite nice, for a Volare. It's going to be gross, but it's probably a good move for them anyway.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
December 9th 2005.

It's probably the only park I know that accurately because it was during a layover flying home from Langkawi, Malaysia to Japan to get married on the 17th.
:)

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Re: Flamingo Land | "Hero" | Zamperla Volare

Tomatron said:
There's also former FHM 100 Sexiest Women regular Donna Air,
For the launch event they should change her name to Donna Hero ;)

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Re: Flamingo Land | "Hero" | Zamperla Volare

It was horrible! !!

Posting from a different place in the world

Pierre

Strata Poster
I look forward to your in-depth, completely unbiased analysis once you've got your tongue out of Lightwater Valley's arse.