What's new

Favorite Woody?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^It's not just that I don't think it's the greatest coaster out there; it's that I don't think that it's actually any good at all.

There's nothing to the ride apart from that one moment (which people really over exaggerate anyway), and that's it.

Just an opinion, which I can state however I want, same as you, so there's no need to get defensive about it.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
^I have to disagree. I honestly believe that Jack Rabbit's one airtime moment is one of the most pure moments in coaster-dom.

Does it make it my favorite woody? No, not even top 10, but it is still pretty amazing considering the age and terrain.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^It could well be the dreaded "overhyping".

I genereally try to avoid listening too much to other people's opinions on coasters until I've had a chance to try them myself, but that hill on Jack Rabbit is something that continually pops up, and how amazing it is was sort of drummed into my head. I got off the ride really disappointed. That's about it really.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Jack Rabbit is dire. It's only redeeming feature is it's weird terrain. But, I honestly think it's one of the worst woodies I've been on.

Ben

CF Legend
I didn't know what Jack Rabbit did, so I just had a look.

LOL, is that ALL that's good about it (well, it does NOTHING else)... Looks dire...

Even Nash has a double-drop, big deal...

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
woodies

I would have to say El Toro in a slight victory over Boulderdash. El Toro's insane aitrime just barely takes it over Boulderdash's high-speed "dashing" through the woods.

Mike

Giga Poster
Intricks said:
to me, that one awesome moment of airtime i can't get on ANY other coaster

Cyclops?
The one moment of airtime it gives is pretty much the only thing the ride does, but what an insane bit of airtime!
Still, not enough to get it anywhere near the top for me though.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Wow, one comment on a ride and a post and a discussion is formed. Negative it seems as well, but hey, I love it lol. Interesting to see others views on it. I will admit, Jackrabbits layout is meh, but the airtime I've always gotten (haven't ridden it since a few years before it got taken over by that Spanish company...no clue on the name) has always happened every time I rode it. I will admit this, I do need to get out and explore a LOT more amusement parks, just gotta find time and money to do so ><

Kebab

Giga Poster
Surprised hardly anyone has actually mentioned Grand National, that's the best coaster in Pleasure Beach by a long-shot. There's something really special about that woodie, for an oldie the amount of air-time hills is amazing, and they're all outstanding!

Stampida wins me though, even with the KumbaK trains it just blew me away, back of the red train with a bit of slack on the lapbar provides a sensational rollercoaster experience, regardless of how much it kicks your ass or drills your spine. Brilliant!

reddude333

Giga Poster
Well clearly I haven't been on nearly as many woodies as most of the people commenting on this thread but I have to say I really liked Renegade at VF and the Beast at night is truly an unforgettable experience (I just kept doing it until after the park closed)...otherwise I still like Tremors at Silverwood, sure it's not big or even fast, but I haven't been on many (if any other) subterranean woodies so that one is really special to me, not to mention one of the first coasters I ever rode...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Kebab said:
Surprised hardly anyone has actually mentioned Grand National, that's the best coaster in Pleasure Beach by a long-shot. There's something really special about that woodie, for an oldie the amount of air-time hills is amazing, and they're all outstanding!

My issue with The Nash is that it's just not consistent enough. It varies massively in terms of air time, speed (which will be linked) and outright breaking of bones.

I've had runs where I've been lifted so far out of my seat, I landed on the seat divider (that's what? 8 inches?) Yeah, it hurt like hell, but man, what a thrill.

Then other times, I've barely lifted out of my seat and come off feeling like I'd been dumped in an industrial washing machine with a bag of angry bricks and put on the "slow, torturous pummel" cycle.

Until Boulder Dash, my best ride on The Nash was probably my best coaster ride, ever. However, it's just a single run out of hundreds (okay, most of them were very good, but not mind blowing).

So yeah, it's just too hit and miss which is a real shame. It's the coaster I cut my teeth on really and was probably my favourite until Nemesis came along (and even then, I still loved it).

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Beast wins this one, slightly edging out Zeus and Megaphobia...

I'm not even thinking of the night ride in the back as the main part of this... Just the way you pick up the speed in such a consistent fashion and have no idea really what's going to happen next makes it just superb in my view...

The first two drops are also really spectacular, not spoken about enough and seeing the track disappear into the distant woods just gives it a completely different atmosphere to any other ride I've experienced...

The helix as well is extremely fun, again using the constant speed increase to the ride's advantage and producing something that I don't think has been done to the same degree since...

All that before factoring in how it changes at night...

National just doesn't cut it for me anymore... The new trains have neutered the experience for me, as furie said it's very hit and miss and quite frankly it's more often miss than hit... It is however better than Racer at Kennywood...

Quick mention on Jack Rabbit... It's twee... Nothing else really... Just a silly little old school ride really... Thunderbolt is the best woodie there by far...

Kebab

Giga Poster
^It seems to run smooth-ish the earlier you ride it, and closer to the front, but I understand it's a very hit-and-miss woody some rides on it can be unbarably rough, but when it does have it's golden moments, it runs like a beaut!

But there again I get similar expectations with Stampida, because it can run like a beast when it wants, or it just goes on tantrums and leaves the train of riders black and blue. I still love it! :)

Artichoke

Mega Poster
Yeah, really. Friends of mine don't really think too much of it. But I like it.
Buuut, then again the Roar is also another one of my faves. I've been on that way more then GhostRider.

msep003

Roller Poster
nemesis567 said:
Tonnere de Zues @ park asterix

Tonnerre de Zeus at Parc Asterix is has become rougher and rougher year after year . They ve been working on the track every year but Parc Asterix should buy new trains for TDZ .

My favourite wooden Coasters by experience are

1) Troy in Toverland
2 ) Tonnerre de Zeus
3) Joris and De Draak