What's new

Favorite Steam Train Ride

jackdude101

Roller Poster
What's your favorite amusement park choo-choo? It doesn't have to be steam-powered, or even be in park, as train rides can be fun wherever they are located.

Knott's has my favorite train ride. It's always a charm to see the bandits scare people during the end of the ride.

I always thought the one at Port Aventura looks rather splendid.
Outside of theme parks, there's a very small one in my home town (Telford Steam Railway) which is a bit crap, but just down the road at Bridgnorth there's the Severn Valley Railway which is really nice, and it actually goes somewhere, unlike the Telford one which basically trundles up and down a 3 mile stretch of track.

That's about the extent of steam train repertoire I'm afraid :-(

Here's today's obligatory Disney post you've all been anticipating.
For me its WDW Railroad (or the one in Paris). They've both got their problems, but I really love looking at the park from a different perspective and the views of Big Thunder Mountain on both railways are fantastic. There is often a lot of screening preventing you from seeing much at times, but it makes the glimpses you get of the park more special.

EDIT: The one at Efteling was quite nice. I liked the way it went over the lake.

I think my vote goes to Dollywood Express for two reasons:

1. It is a true heritage railway with four great steamers. (White Pass #192 is my personal favorite)

2. The train run really allows for some nice, at speed passage right behind Thunderhead during the downhill pass. I love the careful ornate detail of other trains (Knott's, Cedar Point, WDW, etc.), but it is the authenticity of the Dollywood Express that is great.

Also, honorable mention to the ever corny Boneville. :razz:

443-0189.jpg

Yeah, you can't beat a real steam train that pollutes the air more than the cars in Pigeon Forge. :p

The WDW Railway is nice too.

XLR8R said:
Knott's has my favorite train ride. It's always a charm to see the bandits scare people during the end of the ride.

Their two locomotives are the oldest used on an amusement park railroad. Both were built in 1881.

Howie said:
Outside of theme parks, there's a very small one in my home town (Telford Steam Railway) which is a bit crap, but just down the road at Bridgnorth there's the Severn Valley Railway which is really nice, and it actually goes somewhere, unlike the Telford one which basically trundles up and down a 3 mile stretch of track.

You are most fortunate to be in Britain. Per extensive research, I have determined that Great Britain and England especially is the world's steam train mecca. What appears to be the most notable operation on the island are the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways, which are based in Porthmadog, Wales ~90 miles west of Telford. Interestingly, afaik, there are no longer any proper steam trains in amusement parks in Britain.

Hyde said:
I think my vote goes to Dollywood Express

That's a nice one. It would be cool to go back in time to 1961 when it was first operating as Rebel Railroad (it was literally the train, like one or two small buildings, and nothing else at that time). Instead of hillbillies harassing the passengers it's damn Yankee Civil War soldiers, Rebel Civil War soldiers eventually fight them off, and the South wins. The PC Police today would probably lose their cookies and foam at the mouth if they knew about this ride's past.

jackdude101 said:
Howie said:

You are most fortunate to be in Britain. Per extensive research, I have determined that Great Britain and England especially is the world's steam train mecca. What appears to be the most notable operation on the island are the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways, which are based in Porthmadog, Wales ~90 miles west of Telford. Interestingly, afaik, there are no longer any proper steam trains in amusement parks in Britain.

Although it is diesel, I think the Pleasure Beach Express at Blackpool is the closest you're going to get since the locos were still built c.1930's.

Also, the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland railways are fantastic. Been on them many times myself so heavily recommend them as a must-do for any visitor to the North Wales area.

Wicksteed has a train, I don't think it's steam though.

And Drayton has one <3

The Welsh Highland ones are gorgeous and they run through such an exquisite part of the World.

jackdude101 said:
Howie said:

A few of the zoos and safari parks still have steam trains. ZSL Whipsnade, West Midlands Safari Park and Longleat Safari Park come to mind. There might be a couple of others.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

jackdude101 said:
Howie said:

I lied - you just reminded me that I've been on one of the Welsh Highland Railways too. Can't remember which one, I was only a kid, but yeah it was lovely. I've also been on the one that goes up to the top of Snowdon, but can't remember whether or not it was steam-driven.

jackdude101 said:
You should see the Cass Scenic Railroad in West Virginia when they have three of their locomotives pulling one train. The whole sky gets blacked out. Absolutely glorious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUlJzfQ-Blc
Wouldn't exactly say I'm 'into' steam trains... but that video of the 3 locos? Wow....

EDIT: ^ Silver Arrow - The one that goes past West Midlands Safari Park IS the Severn Valley Railway that I mentioned earlier. It runs from Bridgnorth to Kidderminster and runs right past the animal enclosures of the Safari Park, often giving better views than if you actually paid to go in.
As far as I know, the train doesn't stop at the park and is not affiliated to it in any way.

I have little interest in trains to be honest, and I haven't actually been on it since I was a kid, but the Llangollen Railway is nice due to the location. The town is lovely. It's just a few miles away from where I grew up, and whenever I'm home, I usually try and head over for a couple of hours, usually walking since the whole area is gorgeous, especially the views from above the town.

Anyway, the railway itself now just exists as a tourist attraction. It used to part of the UK system, but was closed down in the '60s.

Cnf9apN.jpg

RqNxA1D.jpg

Hjlt3pv.jpg

B9k1dAB.jpg

yipx8tw.jpg

9kXeEGc.jpg

LjRIt15.jpg

3PBKC4H.jpg

eWm5WZq.jpg

cJIv4Ri.jpg

As Gavin has said, the Llangollen is also lovely and does deserve a mention here. Could sit and enjoy the view from Berwyn all day if I wanted. Plus, I have the bonus of volunteering there and getting free travel on the line. :)