What's new

Favorite first drops...

Not sure if this already exists since the search tool wans't the greatest help to me today, so if it is already a thing please delete it...

1. Iron Gwazi - Holy crap...sustained ejector...hyper...only a lap bar...intense pull out...essentially TC's drops stacked on top of each other
  2. X2 - What is Alan Schilke on?
  3. Hangtime - Registers around 2.2 negative g's...almost as strong as El Toro...and even steeper
  4. Tennessee Tornado - Headchoppers
  5. Twisted Colossus - So nice you do it twice
  6. Wonder Woman FOC - Odly similar to Velocicoaster's tophat
  7. Lightningrod - Great because of the launch and pre drop
  8. Indtimadator - I didn't ride Fury and I am sad...but at least I got this
  9. Mako - Intimadator but shorter...and with shorter trains
  10. Wild Eagle - Awesome, great view, sustained floater, solid pull out...VEST RESTRAINTS :mad:
  11. Shiekra - one trick pony the ride
  12. Emporer - Shiekra with a much better view
  13. Mine Blower - Great sustained flojector...just wish it was a little taller and not as rough
  14. Kentucky Rumbler - GCI straight drops are really solid
  15. White Lightning - fun little twist. Kind of like a small version of Ghostrider's with more airtime
  16. Ghostrider - mainly for the stupidly intense pull out

Last edited:

Strathven

Roller Poster
Iron Rattler, in the back row with arms up! I don't know why it hits so differently from New Texas Giant's drop, it's only a couple dozen feet taller and 2º steeper, but there's no comparison. Maybe it has to do with the way it quickly shifts over to the left as it goes down?

Matt N

CF Legend
My favourite first drop would comfortably be that of either Mako or Iron Gwazi; I find it hard to pick!

On Mako, you get such a surprising initial pull over the drop, and the sustained airtime is ludicrous; you feel like you're about to be ripped from the seat for a number of seconds, particularly towards the back!

Iron Gwazi's first drop shares similar brilliant attributes; it packs absolutely absurd sustained airtime the whole way down, and you literally feel like you're standing up for that entire drop! Perhaps controversially, I dare say that Iron Gwazi's first drop was my favourite element on the ride!

An honourable mention, though, would have to go to the Dive Coaster drops on Oblivion and SheiKra, particularly SheiKra. On these, you just fly out of the seat for seconds at a time, and it's absolutely sublime!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
In no particular order:
  • Millennium Force - one of the most magnificent views on any coaster.
  • Twister, Knoebels - great example of a large, wooden coaster drop!
  • Flying Aces and Skyrush - both have a comparable first drop with hard lateral right turn. Amazing out of the box experience for the wing train design!
  • B&M 200 ft. Dive Machines - great hang time and airtime pop abounds.
  • Steel Curtain - there’s a certain je nest cest quoi about hurtling your body, inverted, 230+ feet up.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Skyrush is my absolute favourite. Just damn.

Jersey Devil Coaster, especially at the front, is just so much fun too. Can't explain why, but it just *works*

El Toro (SFGAd) is bloody brilliant too.

Changa

Mega Poster
Millennium force - In the front row, you get the growing dread as the track gets endlessly steeper. In the back, you get launched out of your seat!

Shiekra - I found it genuinely scary to hang over the edge at that height, and the airtime is magnificent.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Shambhala. Just ridiculously good. The floatiest of the floaties.

Oblivion (and the other big dive coasters too for that matter).

Time Traveler. 90° straight down right out of the station... while  spinning? Yes please.

Hyperion. Endless. Just endless.

Kondaa. Two airtime moments in one drop, the first as you crest the lift hill, the second as you twist to the right on the way down. Both moments try to kill you.

EmmaUK

Mega Poster
In no particular order:

Twisted Timbers - an inversion on a first drop - yes please!

El toro - sheer power

Shambhala - floating goodness

Big One - the rest of the ride is a monorail, but that first drop is amazing, the way as it starts to crest all that you can see is the Irish Sea and then, if you're at the back, it pulls you over and tips to the side

RevolutionRuleZ

Mega Poster
In no particular order

Steel:

Mako
Oblivion
Shambhala
Big One
Baco (yes, that drop thats about one foot big after the launch is insane)

Wood:
Grand National