Before:

DeJYOrNX0AAlSyX.png

After:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Pipe down.

This is awful though, the Norway alley was one of the most picturesque bits of the park. I wonder what will happen tomorrow and how much of the park will be closed off.

Pear

Strata Poster
There's a very small chance this was arson or intentional in any way.

Sucks seeing the Norway area gone it was very beautiful and the rapids did look very nice as well.

iac17

Mega Poster
I'm wondering why it spread out so much?
don't they have some preventive measures to limit the spread of the flames?

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Don't they have some preventive measures to limit the spread of the flames?
There's a limit to how much they can do. The pirate boat ride is one huge building - once a fire gets into the roof space, it's going to spread. Likewise for the Norway area - it's quite a compact space, with lots of adjoined buildings. Once the fire's going, it's going to keep burning its way through the building(s) until it's extinguished or there's nothing left to burn.

Edit: Looking at the Norway area from the satellite view, the line of buildings on one side of the Norway area were actually attached to the Piraten building. Those buildings never stood a chance, and given the scale of the fire, it's not much of a gap to the other side of the "street" either.

Last edited:

James F

Hyper Poster
This is horrible! I hope the park isn't too badly effected by this. So sad.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
Well, **** me...

I was just recently having a discussion about how Europa Park basically only needs one more theme-area in that space behind Greece to be kind of "finished" in a sense of you can't expand it further and create more value for single-day guests since even now, on a normal Saturday, you mainly get to ride all rollercoasters once and some little stuff mixed inbetween, and that's it for the day. Maybe add in a Big Dipper in that new area since a compact thrill ride like that would be a perfect fit, bla bla bla...

Guess I should have kept my ****ing mouth shut. This really makes me sad and is also a huge setback for this park.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Shall be interesting to see how long it takes them to restore the area, my first visit to Europa is in late Sept, gonna be a little bit sad knowing that one of the most highly rated areas is burnt out.

Gazza

Giga Poster
A lot of attractions use carve foam for faux rock/stonework and theming.
Its cheaper and quicker than other methods, but in a fire it just burns and spreads very fast.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster

Also you gotta consider how these areas were built way in a different time, where the laws just weren't as strict about fire prevention as they are today. Batavia is from 1987, which is 13 years before the big Phantasialand-Fire. To give you a sense of how long 13 years is, that long ago Black Mamba didn't even exist. Generally speaking, the really good fire prevention regulations and therefore the really safe building/insulation methods took as long as the Mid-2000s to really come around. And this is a theme-park which means, every building is packed with tons of flammable stuff that wouldn't even be there in a regular bulding.

Since my father is working in the buliding sector for 30 years now, I can pretty much give you the sad truth: if you're living in a house from the 1990s and there's a reasonably large fire, you're ****ing screwed. People just didn't know better. You'll actually have more luck with even older buildings, as it increases the likelyhood of them having undergone renovation at higher standards.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Apparently one the park's major backstage areas is next to Pirates therefore has also been affected.

Quote from EuropaStreet forum.
The fire started in a warehouse which then spread to Pirates and then Scandinavia. There were 500 personnel involved in dealing with the fire at it's height. There's still no decision on whether or not the park will open tomorrow.

Presumably they're working on how to deal with moving guests around the park and any potential power/utilities issues before deciding on opening and if so what they can open.
Also from EuropaStreet showing the complex. Circled is the Scandinavia entrance.
EbfNkIq.png

Just devastating. Some parts of Europa are pretty generic and samey but Scandinavia was so lovely and charming. Definitely one of my favourite areas in the park. The rapids will probably be out of action for a while now.
Considering Pirates has gone I'm amazed the Dutch area seems to largely be okay or at least I've not seen anything about it being destroyed.

Last edited:

jayjay

Giga Poster
Awful news. Hopefully the news that everyone got out OK is accurate and the insurance will do something for the material/business damage.

As Piraten goes, it's not something I remember being enthralled by, but judging by the above comments, seems like it's nostalgic for many. I'm interested to know whether they'd replace it with more of the same or try something else out.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
You can see the fire at 0:28 and then how quickly the flames have spread by 2:07

Europa Park have also confirmed the unaffected parts of the park will open as normal tomorrow.

Last edited:

Flying Pilot

Mega Poster
You are flying a bove fire, how extreme illegal is that. The worst thing you can do as a drone pilot, because you are in the way for auhorisations who try to do their work.

Tulum

Mega Poster
The park is open today. Even the show "Immer wieder Sonntags" broadcasted from the Greek Area, is going as scheduled.

The arial footage might come from a helicopter? Radio mentioned yesterday that they were above the park during the fire.