What's new

Europa Park | Eatrenalin | Mack Rides Trackless Gastro-Experience | 2022

TilenB

Strata Poster
Yeah, it's kind of odd that they went with a Japanese inspired menu, considering that the rest of the resort mostly sticks with European themes. I'm guessing those sorts of dishes have been tested in similar (not ride based, but still) experiences in the East? Hopefully they can approach with a bit more of a local flare in the future of the project.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
This is something which is right up my street. The menu...less so, but something which still sounds really interesting.

At 195€ though, I'm definitely waiting to see what the reviews of the overall experience are like before I even consider it..

Dar

Hyper Poster
The thing that makes me question it is the 100 minute length, is that going to be long enough to properly enjoy your food? It's around 13 minutes a course, but what do they do if you haven't finished the previous course before it's time to move on? Do they just take your plate and give you a doggy bag at the end?

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Yeah the time also sounds rather short to me for so many courses, Intrigued to see how it works out.
As for the fishy menu - if I remember correctly Hotel Kronasar's main restaurant also started out with a very Scandinavian fish based menu; only to adapt pretty soon after after guest feedback. Wouldn't surprise me if we see the same happen to some extent with Eatrenalin's menu.

Peet

Giga Poster
This is so bizarre I love it. If it's 100 mins though you must surely be able to exit the car to go to the toilet - I wonder how that works!

Ethan

Strata Poster
This is so bizarre I love it. If it's 100 mins though you must surely be able to exit the car to go to the toilet - I wonder how that works!
I'm hoping there's a button for each person you can press when you need to go, and that all the other vehicles are made to wait outside the toilets until you're done for maximum awkwardness.

But in reality, yeah, I imagine at each scene you might be allowed to just leave, and then the cars can't move to the next scene until everyone is back in their vehicle? Interesting question tbh I'm also curious to find out!

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
EP's magazine Emotional Pur has revealed some more details and concepts for Eatrenalin.

- Five years of development, total area 1,600 sqm, opening in autumn 2022.

- Almost two-hour sensory journey with teams of 16 people departing between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m., a maximum of twelve tours per evening.

- Ride on the newly developed "Floating Chair" (not rail-bound, weighs 320 kg, consists of 2,100 parts, one and a half years of development), guests can also adjust the height and inclination.

- The guests float through the individual rooms and "sit in all possible seat combinations, such as opposite or next to each other, sometimes at round tables, sometimes in groups of four".

- In the rooms there are not only new LED screens and projections, but "among other things, rocks, wooden elements and original props".

- All senses are addressed. Custom music was developed for Eatrenalin, which underscores the choreography of the culinary journey of adventure. There are also elements such as wind, temperature and movement. Matching the different rooms, there are also specially coordinated scents.

- The food/room sequence:
"For a starter, the guests float on their "Floating Chairs" into the "Ocean" room - and thus into the depths of the sea, so to speak. While everything is still quiet here, a veritable explosion of taste takes place in the "Taste" room. The guests taste one after the other the tastes: sweet, salty, sour and bitter. The room changes and adapts to the different aromas. These can thus be experienced with all the senses. But the fifth dimension of taste is not ignored either: umami! That's what it's called by many in Asia Flavors typical of dishes that can also be recognized by the human tongue. A separate room is dedicated to it. A gong sounds and an Asian monk welcomes the gourmet travelers to a long table, where they take their first main course.

- Afterwards, the Eatrenalin visitors literally take off in the “Space” and “Universe” rooms. After a rocket launch, they find themselves in space and on the moon. What does the dessert taste like there? "Very imaginative," describes Thomas Mack. “The experience is brought to completion in the “Incarnation” room. After about two hours, the elevator takes you back to reality. In the bar, the approximately 200 guests who can experience Eatrenalin in total in one evening end their excursion through space, time, fiction and taste."

- There are already buyers interested in the concept from Shanghai, London, Paris, Lisbon, New York and Mexico.

IMG_7001.jpg

IMG_7002.jpg

Source

emoo

Hyper Poster
"...In all possible seat cominations..." They should do this and a great use of the tech. Although my awkwardness is already flaring up at the prospect of having robot chairs face me off with a new random person every now and then.

Individual seat adjustments is a neat touch for comfort of all guest sizes - and possibly a solution to the toilet question. Does it also have a loo button that discretely excuses you? It could just be a temporary stop button to pause all movement but I'd revel in it traversing me off into a private corridor/room.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Eatrenalin has opened at last

Some footage of the experience - all media has only shown off a couple of rooms, a blackout exists for the rest

Reviews so far have been very positive across the board. The menu is apparently more flexible than the website shows at first glance.

On VeeJoy a construction a behind the scenes documentary series has also started

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The thing that makes me question it is the 100 minute length, is that going to be long enough to properly enjoy your food? It's around 13 minutes a course, but what do they do if you haven't finished the previous course before it's time to move on? Do they just take your plate and give you a doggy bag at the end?
Yeah the time also sounds rather short to me for so many courses, Intrigued to see how it works out.
As for the fishy menu - if I remember correctly Hotel Kronasar's main restaurant also started out with a very Scandinavian fish based menu; only to adapt pretty soon after after guest feedback. Wouldn't surprise me if we see the same happen to some extent with Eatrenalin's menu.
Looking at the size of each course on Twitter, I don't think you'll need more than 1 minute to finish each one, never mind 13... 🙈 😂

This is definitely fine dining... I'm out... 😂😂😂

uwurawrus

Roller Poster
Just stumbled across this thread and after doing Eatrenalin in January I think it's safe to say that I absolutely ADORED my time doing it and without a shadow of a doubt my favourite use of the trackless dark ride tech out there and absolutely the coolest thing I've ever done at a theme park resort.

Thought I'd be put off by the menu but stick the food on a trackless dark ride vehicle and suddenly I'm interested. Really cool experience that I cannot recommend highly enough.

Insane.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Marketing for Eatrenalin has stepped up again and it's got me wondering... This is a fine dine experience, no? Europa toot a lot about it being one of the best food experiences the place has to offer, no? Europa have michelin stars elsewhere, no...?
soooo.....
Is this experience Michelin Star Worthy?
If so, why hasn't it got one yet?

Lofty

CF Legend
Michelin can sometimes be super pretentious when it comes to things like this. The fact that it's a 'commercial attraction', might go against it and mean that it doesn't fit into any particular criteria for them to assess it.

Also, I would say nowadays, Michelin Star restaurants are only really followed by a certain type of person - of which, I'd hazard a guess that their demographic potentially sits outside of the Eatrenalin demographic to some extent (minus general foodies).

EmmaUK

Mega Poster
Yeah, Michelin is notoriously snooty when it comes to gimmicks.

I think Ammolite at Europa is the only Michelin starred restaurant at a theme park or resort in the world. I can't think of any others off the top of my head. Many expected Victoria & Alberts at Disney World to get a couple of stars, when the only ones at Disney World that did are non-Disney. I had a meal a couple of years ago in Narcoossees which I'd have said was better than some Michelin restaurants I've been to, and Napa Rose at Disneyland certainly was good enough.

In terms of gimmicks I struggle to think of any gimmicky Michelin starred restaurants around. I've been to 30-40 Michelin starred restaurants and I don't think any have really had a gimmick (outside of restaurants where the food or its presentation is a bit of a gimmick, but that's different. Although I hated Mugaritz and its gimmicky food. But that's a story for another day).

Though I'm not sure that I agree that the demographic for Michelin restaurants sits outside of Eatrenalin. If you're the type to drop 200 euros on a meal, you're the type to drop 200 euros on a meal and I can't imagine many people doing this that aren't foodies?