What's new

Duel at Alton Towers closing on 6th September - retheme or refurbishment for 2023?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
If the ride system is staying the same, I can't imagine staff training being a particularly intensive process. Even within Merlin, the operation of an omnimover with self lowering and raising restraints will be fairly straightforward and not require a significant amount of time for staff to be trained up.

If staff are being trained on something related to the ride now, it's probably being done to ensure as quick and smooth practical training process when the ride is ready. That will mean there's a speedy turnover from ride being ready to opening.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Just gonna say that staff training for the product can happen miles before the ride is ready to be handed over from a guest experience perspective. Look at Genting Skyworlds... they trained their staff over a year ago for rides that are still not ready.
Exactly this… I / they don’t even know if it’s ‘ride specific’ training that they’re going in for. Even if it is ride specific, it doesn’t mean the ride is ready.

Extreme examples like yours aside, with Merlin, you’d like to think that them training the team now does indicate an intention to open it early season, if not opening day. 🤞

Certainly not conclusive though…

Matt N

CF Legend
The park has held a press event for a pop up doll’s house promoting the ride in London this evening, and it holds some interesting clues, by the looks of things!

Firstly, an 18th March (beginning of the season) opening is potentially being alluded to through various letters placed around the building:

There are also many pictures that could allude to things like the Grand Hall scene from the old ride potentially staying in some capacity, as well as a fireplace that guests have to walk through. Here are some pictures from Theme Park Worldwide:

Also, here’s a video from Theme Park Jam:

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
The park have now officially confirmed an 18th March opening date.

They released the following press release this morning:
An “eerie” and hair-raising new ride will be launched at a Staffordshire theme park next month after a mysterious attraction promoting it opened in London.

Alton Towers launched a haunted doll’s house on London’s Isle of Dogs to promote The Curse at Alton Manor, which is set to be opened on March 18.

Crowds of people were given a series of “supernatural clues” and teasers, including a string of sinister messages, of what awaits when the ride opens.
The experience culminated in the first sighting of Emily Alton - the child from the original haunted house, whose demonic exploits inspired the ride.
Bianca Sammut, divisional director at Alton Towers Resort, said: “The British public remain gripped by a desire to be shocked and surprised.”

“We hope we haven’t given too many people nightmares with their first taste of The Curse at Alton Manor and their introduction to Emily.”
“If visitors thought this haunted doll’s house was impressive, they will be in for a serious surprise this Spring. Our experts have been crafting new and spectacular special effects and visuals that have never been seen before from a UK theme park.”

“If you feel you’re brave enough, join us from March 18 to uncover the secrets of her transformation from a once sweet and curious child to a vessel of evil.”
As well as showcasing spectacular visuals, which the recent pop-up doll’s house alluded to, The Curse at Alton Manor will also bring special effects that will be a first for a UK theme park - from twisted projection mapping technology that transports riders into Emily’s own dollhouse, to mirrors that play tricks by blurring the line between reality and her demonic world.
That last line sounds very intriguing… the more I hear about this attraction, the more I think it sounds brilliant!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Wonder what the chances of a soft opening at the blue light events are?

Obviously if it was a shiny big new coaster there’d be no chance, but with it being more a re-theme, it might be a good publicity opportunity for them… Looking after ‘key workers’ is never a bad look.

That countdown from 30 video was released 30 days before the blue light event.

More than likely the answer is no, it won’t happen, but just throwing it out there now as a ‘possibility’ no matter how slim the chances.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
I've been going to the Towers buy out weekends since 2011 although stopped going in 2020 as the operations and ride availability were awful and way more miss than hit. In that time Sub Terra and Ice Age did not open for it in 2012 and neither did the Smiler in 2016 for it's big reopening after the accident. Wicker Man didn't open either for the weekend whichever year that was but that's more understandable as it had a big press night and what not. Also Air was shut the year it changed to Galactica. Fingers crossed for Curse this year but they never seem to treat buy out days as part of the new season.

Typing this up I'm remembering how bad the 2020 Blue Light Card day was. Wicker Man and Smiler shut all day, Rita on one train and all the other coasters breaking down as you went round the park. There was barely anyone in the park but you were still waiting over an hour for stuff like Galactica, just an awful day at Towers.

Last edited:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Typing this up I'm remembering how bad the 2020 Blue Light Card day was. Wicker Man and Smiler shut all day, Rita on one train and all the other coasters breaking down as you went round the park.

I remember that day - me & Dr Dave went. Yeah it was shoddy as f***.
Still got the ticket from that day in the sun visor of my van...
20230215_141736.jpg

... cos they said we could come back and use it again any day in 2020! And we all know how 2020 worked out.

Do you think they'd still accept it now? 🤔

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
... cos they said we could come back and use it again any day in 2020! And we all know how 2020 worked out.

Any day apart from Scarefest wasn't it? Which was the only other time I went that year. Or was that the year after, I can't remember now? I sort of forget 2020 even happened tbh.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I've been to a few buyouts myself, both as a guest and employee, the best one by far was the 2003 BT buyout... Could say it was one step beyond... But then, that was mid season, not at the beginning or the end, so a slightly unfair advantage there.

The 10k run ones at the end of the season are great. Probably because they're not smack bang at the start of the season, when there are still teething issues.

2020 sounded horrendous, I wasn't there, but in the end you got the last laugh, as you got a visit in before Covid struck... And ultimately, does it really compare to BPB's full opening day fiasco in 2019? (It was 2019 right?) That was a full park day, with an opening celebration, confetti and everything, and barely anything was actually ready to open!

These days I tend to avoid opening days, I have a reservation for AT opening day this year, but if I go, it will be purely to meet up with friends, and I'll have no expectations of getting on anything...

Back to the point I was making though, I know the chances are slim, but it 'would' be a great opportunity to soft launch the ride, iron out any wrinkles, and get some positive publicity out of it too. Not attending myself, but it would be nice for those attending on the 18th to have had this test run before the big day.

Trooper Looper

Roller Poster

I'd advise skipping to the last minute of the video, the other rest is just him Walking there in Haunted Hollow, but there's some good insight on the site of the Area, it seems that the Facade is being repainted!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Not a lot has changed on the outside then...

Makes me wonder how much has actually changed inside... Removed the guns, changed a couple of scenes into projection mapped scenes, and more emphasis on the Emily / Doll's House theme... Pretty much how we all guessed this would go right at the very beginning... And Honestly, I'm all for it. :)

Trooper Looper

Roller Poster
Not a lot has changed on the outside then...

Makes me wonder how much has actually changed inside... Removed the guns, changed a couple of scenes into projection mapped scenes, and more emphasis on the Emily / Doll's House theme... Pretty much how we all guessed this would go right at the very beginning... And Honestly, I'm all for it. :)
The only differences we can see on the facade are that it's being repainted into a more typical worn look (which Im personally not a fan of). I think the turret looks great though with the new paint, but not the actual house section which I think should've been left alone.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The only differences we can see on the facade are that it's being repainted into a more typical worn look (which Im personally not a fan of). I think the turret looks great though with the new paint, but not the actual house section which I think should've been left alone.
I don't know if that look is the final product, if you look under the upstairs bay window, on one of the small triangle sections of wall, they seem to have sampled a solid, darker colour...

Trooper Looper

Roller Poster
I don't know if that look is the final product, if you look under the upstairs bay window, on one of the small triangle sections of wall, they seem to have sampled a solid, darker colour...
Gosh I'm really hoping they don't go down that route, we've got enough buildings in the park that are either very dark colours, or just grey and black. The original Facade for the Haunted House and Duel looked wonderful and actually looked like a creepy old house you'd see, thanks to its natural look and wooden beams without any paint on the house outside the fences at the front. This addon though just feels very forced and made spooky for the sake of it, which makes it look a little cheesy IMO. Imagine how badly this will age in 10 years, it'll look horrendous and really battered. The original look of the house lasted ever since day one in 1992 and aged amazingly and still looks great. 30 years and it had no problem looks-wise anyway.

rob666

Hyper Poster
The outside of the house had been tidied and touched up in the closed season a number of times over the years I believe.
Better to see it in person, and not via a lens and computer screen, before writing the whole thing off.
I think they might possibly know what they are doing, they have had lots of experience in doing it.

spicy

Giga Poster
Love those references in the product names!

Looks amazing actually. Got some Toy Story/Ratatouille vibes going on?

Looks like the rider is shrunk down to the size of one of Emily Alton's Toys with all the oversized props?

Last edited: