What's new

Dollywood | Lightning Rod | Launched RMC

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Re: Dollywood 2016 || Teaser

owentaylor121 said:
GuyWithAStick said:
tomahawk is right, a Mack Launch is still a viable option. I know Owen said to stop comparing prices, but I just had to compare Helix. Helix cost around $23 Million USD, which fits in perfectly with the given price range. My final guess is a Mack Multi-launch coaster with a classic car theme in or around the 50s area. Maybe where the Rockin' Roadway is.
See absolutely, Helix is one of Europe's largest coasters and fits perfectly into that price range, so I don't understand how someone can say this won't be big when Wild Eagle is massive and cost less than what this will.

I never said something big wouldn't happen. I said something massive won't happen. Someone was suggesting a strata/gigacoaster on here before and you've already given Wild Eagle and Helix as examples, which are not massive.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

I'd class Wild Eagle and Helix as massive coasters for sure, Helix may not be tall but it is a long intense ride and then Wild Eagle is one of the biggest Wing Coasters around.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Put another way: Coasters bigger than Helix and Wild Eagle are usually coasters whose "gimmick" is to be huge and massive. Hypers with large hills or launchers with towering top hats, for instance. If you want a coaster to do stuff other than speed and height, they don't come much bigger than Helix or Wild Eagle.

jay37415

Mega Poster

The other day I was at Dollywood(season pass holder) ans struck up a conversation with the photo booth attendant. I asked about what she know about the new coaster her response was, "Its gonna be big, just learned about it today and its gonna be bigger than Wild Eagle." So I asked if was going to be steel or wood she replied, "I don't get how this is gonna work, but both."

I mentioned I heard it was going to be launched.. she wouldn't confirm or deny that.

So take that info and have fun with it.....

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Oh my gosh...

LAUNCHED RMC HYBRIDDDD!!!!1!1!1!!!!one1!!!!!!1!1!2!

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Ethan

Strata Poster

A photo booth worker isn't the best source of information so I'm not going to treat that as fact just yet.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster

Where is there space in Dollywood for a new ride I wonder?

Maybe they'll just remove and replace Eagle with something good.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

The most plausible area for the ride is either the area where/around the Rockin' Roadway is. It's next to a forest, so a launched coaster in the forest could be cool.

jay37415

Mega Poster

They have already taken down the gift shop next to rocking roadway. It's going to back across the street where employee parking used to be. Some rumors are that Rockin Roadway is getting taken out, but those are rumors at this point.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster

I also have some info on what this ride could/will be. I've heard from 2 different people that it will be a **Launched RMC Wooden coaster**. One from a guy from Fury 325's media day, and one from Instagram. I know they're not the most reliable sources, but it's 2 separate mentions that do line up, to an extent. My Instagram source said that he has seen the layout renderings in person, and claims that the long-rumored launched woodie is finally happening. I would expect an announcement late July/early August.

jay37415

Mega Poster

Was at the park last weeked and I had a ride op tell me that the new coaster had a $27 mil price tag on it. So if the RMC rumors are true and factoring Outlaw Run was $10 mil. This looks like it going to be a huge coaster. Pete Owens already hinted that this is going to be bigger than WE.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

^ The $10 mil. price tag was a deal RMC made to get the ball rolling. Newer RMCs are indeed more expensive.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Maverix

Mega Poster

While I'm not 100% on the $27 million, I do know for a fact that the new coaster is the largest single investment in the parks history, so for sure more than Wild Eagle.

jay37415

Mega Poster

I shared this picture in another forum but I'll put it on here also. But this pretty much confirms a RMC. I also heard from the photo booth lady that there is a bunch of track being stored behind the hill being cleared. She also said its rumored to be 87mph.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

There was a leak on the dollywood site last night that had an image advertising it as Shot Rod, the world's first launched wooden coaster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

jay37415

Mega Poster

Screamscape is reporting that Dollywood just filed for the trademark on the name, "Lightning Rod." Being the signage in front of the construction area says, "Lightning Fast." Makes you wonder...