What's new

Disneyland Paris What Will Happen?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It baffles me how the busiest park in Europe, by far, can still be so far up **** creek.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Think from what I can gather, their debt has got to such a level that they can't even manage to make the interest repayments on it. So the plan is to pump money into it and reduce the debts they owe The Walt Disney Company by transferring it into equity, with payments to be made at a later date. In reducing the debt they should be able to manage it by paying of the interest on it year on year through their own revenue.

It's an odd one, TWDC have obviously got enough faith and belief that the park is a viable operation that will eventually run at a profit, but how they've let it get to such a state without acting sooner is questionable. As Gavin said, it's baffling at how bad things are given the number of visitors they get and the prices they charge.

marc

CF Legend
The problems are from day 1 it's like Euro Tunnel. Any money made is just paying off interest and not the debt.

When the park was built they went big, loads of hotels and they could not fill them.

The park is making money but not enough.

Let's hope this works.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
gavin said:
It baffles me how the busiest park in Europe, by far, can still be so far up **** creek.
It's the French! Bloody French.

I've got a mate works for a very, very big US company which had based their European operations in the UK until a few years ago when they decided to move to the mainland - France. As a result, pretty much everything has gone wrong and they don't have the working practices to fix it, so the US are taking over again and leaving the French unit as it's own little division.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Just throwing this out there:

Even if DLP is bleeding cash, I can't see the overall company admitting defeat and cutting losses now. Way too embarrassing.

It will be interesting how this plays out, because they did essentially the same thing at least once or twice before now.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Any other theme park in the world would have closed if it had this sort of problem. It is all about saving the brand name. IMO, it's throwing good money after bad. Close the place down so European children can experience proper diverse theme parks, not this sickly sort of ****.

marc

CF Legend
^Its really not though, wdw is the place most know about Disney would do just as well without having DLP.

It would be easy to shut it down and walk away but at least they are trying to keep it going and turn it around. They would probably be better off just walking away.

If Disney was to go that whole area would just be left to rot and hotels and businesses in the area would fold. It's not just the parks that they built there.

I get it not everyone likes Disney and what they offer. But even as an adult I'd rather go there than a half arsed attempt elsewhere. I go through the gates and I'm not just at a theme park where I need to run around and get everything done as quick as I can.

peep

CF Legend
Space Mountain: Mission 2, cafe Hyperion and Videopolis to close for a 6 month refurb in January.

That is the news I've been waiting for, rumours have pointed at Space Mountain version 3 which includes new trains! Videopolis (the stage where Lion King used to perform) is rumoured to become Jedi Academy, a show where kids get to train as a Jedi.

marc

CF Legend
Yeah that's great news and what we were expecting :)

Not really interested in the Jedi thing, but it's not for us and kids in the usa love it.

Will get on Mission 2 and Eo for the last time next week.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
peep said:
Space Mountain: Mission 2, cafe Hyperion and Videopolis to close for a 6 month refurb in January.

That is the news I've been waiting for, rumours have pointed at Space Mountain version 3 which includes new trains! Videopolis (the stage where Lion King used to perform) is rumoured to become Jedi Academy, a show where kids get to train as a Jedi.

Ooooh - turd polishing!! hopefully SM won't suck quite as much with new trains!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
God that thing needs new trains (and a return to the original version's queue/theme/etc)...

Good to know they'll be doing SOMETHING with Videopolis, so much wasted space </3

marc

CF Legend
Few people at work today have come up to me and actually said they were not shocked when they saw DLP was bankrupt as the place is a **** hole. I then had to explain to them it's not closing and it's not bankrupt.

I really don't think it's as bad now as it was a few years ago but they need to try and get people to go back again.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The place was heaving when I went, and my friend went before the summer hols kicked in and said it was busy too. I think they have a lot of people going (and they can't really cope with the numbers) - it's just cash flow.

marc

CF Legend
It's all a knock on effect. To keep costs down they have less staff so when they are busy they don't have enough, this must be the reason they shut one restaurant and open another etc.

I don't blame people leaving the park to get food, I refused to spend 14 euro on a burger when I could spend 7 just outside. This is the type of thing they need to sort out to keep people in the parks.

It was dead when we went in June I think that's when we went.

We have been in the week before and it's dead but come the weekend it's so busy you cannot move.

However many are just there for the day and the reports say the hotels are not busy.

The new photo pass system they have is great, but you try and find info on their website. They also have a dining plan for hotel guests, again try and find info. It's mark ups like this they need to thrust in people's faces.

Also get Dvc involved, it will raise money to get the hotels sorted out.

It's all small things that can be done that will bring in extra income.

When they can actually invest they will be ok am sure if it. This new deal is better than before as the money is not just being used to pay off loans.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Do they have the land to expand? I know they don't have the cash, but I'm just wondering.

peep

CF Legend
Yeah, unfortunately the land terms set up with the French government meant that they needed to open the second gate by a certain date to secure the land from becoming available to other companies, the rush to secure this land clearly helped cause the huge debt increase. The land for the third gate is only secured until a certain time but the French government are being more lenient after seeing what happened with the Studios. I can't remember what the last deal that was struck was but it works well for Disney.

Both parks also have a huge amount of additional land for expansion.

marc

CF Legend
Never say never. They need to sort out the current parks first and that's going to take years.