What's new

CWOA | Mandrill Mayhem (World of Jumanji) | B&M Wing Coaster | 2023

Bowser

Mega Poster
Looks brilliant!

Seeing as it's 2023 do you think Chessington will build an actual disabled entrance? Always makes me sad my son will never get to go through the Vampire castle and misses all the theming.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I don't think it's been said yet, but it's really cool of Chessington to have done this. Doing this isn't something which is needed, but gives a really cool insight into construction and how things are going.

I'm still not a fan of the board centrepiece. The idea of needing a specific perspective to see it in a cool way sounds good on paper, but not in practice in my opinion. I'm not quite sure what they could have done - I don't think a screen is a good idea, and having a 'dice dome' also wouldn't last I reckon. The play areas are a nice touch.

The jaguar shrine looks cool and I hadn't been too bothered by the height of it being smaller than the coaster. But seeing these new perspectives, one thing which strikes me is how...narrow it looks. I know it's not a narrow structure, and it probably couldn't have been made much wider due to clearances with the ride. But it's just overshadowed by the helix's width and breadth.

The area is still pretty cool and plenty to be positive about. But still a few niggles, and a few plain weird decisions.

Swat

Mega Poster
With two months to go there is so much time for them to get the whole area looking great. The level of detail and quality seems to be a step up from the past few years which is only good for the multiple Merlin projects!

Ethan

Strata Poster
Monkeys have been... mounted. Photos by Theme Park Guide, which can be found here.

index.php

index.php

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
This ride looks bloody dull... Trying to remember the last time B&M built something that excited me. :/

Area and theming looking good though!!!

SeanN90

Roller Poster
This ride looks bloody dull... Trying to remember the last time B&M built something that excited me. :/

Area and theming looking good though!!!
You're an adult. You like coasters with a height requirement above the average size of the guests Chessington caters for. You're not meant to be excited. It's a good thing you're not excited. Remember, 'family fun' is code for 'adults pretending to have fun whilst watching their children have the times of their lives'.

Bowser

Mega Poster
You're an adult. You like coasters with a height requirement above the average size of the guests Chessington caters for. You're not meant to be excited. It's a good thing you're not excited. Remember, 'family fun' is code for 'adults pretending to have fun whilst watching their children have the times of their lives'.

I know you jest but remember lots of adults don't want to go on the most intense or scary looking rides either. And i'd argue a backwards launching wing coaster with inversions is fairly extreme for a family coaster!

My wife can't even handle The Vampire these days (tbf it's pretty rough) so no chance she'll be going on this. Fortunately that means i get to take my son on everything :D

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Erm, yeh, that would make sense if it was just 'this' B&M... Sadly it isn't. I still haven't been out to ride Monster, and I just can't motivate myself to. Pipeline (surf coaster) hardly looks groundbreaking, (though it's unfair to judge it at this stage.)

This and the surf coaster are the most innovative examples that B&M have produced in years, and that says everything.

Quality, reliability and experience count for a lot though, so you can't blame parks for going with them. 🤷‍♂️

Also, as a side note, an unimportant side note, this is not a family coaster, it has inversions and RCDB class it as 'extreme.' So unless they decide that's wrong, that's what I'll be classing it as too.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Erm, yeh, that would make sense if it was just 'this' B&M... Sadly it isn't. I still haven't been out to ride Monster, and I just can't motivate myself to. Pipeline (surf coaster) hardly looks groundbreaking, (though it's unfair to judge it at this stage.)

This and the surf coaster are the most innovative examples that B&M have produced in years, and that says everything.

Quality, reliability and experience count for a lot though, so you can't blame parks for going with them. 🤷‍♂️

Also, as a side note, an unimportant side note, this is not a family coaster, it has inversions and RCDB class it as 'extreme.' So unless they decide that's wrong, that's what I'll be classing it as too.
RCDB have got it wrong there. Having seen it test in the flesh, this is definitely a family coaster.

I do agree with your B&M comments. They're playing it too safe in a world where RMC now exist.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
RCDB have got it wrong there. Having seen it test in the flesh, this is definitely a family coaster.

I do agree with your B&M comments. They're playing it too safe in a world where RMC now exist.
Yeh I’m not sure why they have it down as extreme to be honest, my only theory is that it might be a default for any coaster with inversions?

I’d have to ride it to be sure, but it looks more like a ‘thrill’ coaster to me. I do think any coaster with inversions is probably a bit too much to be classed as family.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I think your theory is correct, anything with an inversion defaults to extreme based on Duane's criteria. From what I understand, removing the inversion would sit it under 'thrill' as it still has the launch.

I wouldn't categorise it as a family coaster however, I think it's going to be more thrilling than that.

redheadedRobin

Mega Poster
Even if it's family oriented, it's definitely a thrill coaster, not family, not extreme. Just like Maximus at Legoland DE, I find it to be a great coaster for anyone who wants to step up from family coasters with no inversions to something a bit more thrilling, and I'm sure kids are gonna love it.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Can we settle on family/thrill? Thrillamily? Familill?

Basically it's that bridge between the two. The kids' first upside down coaster.