What's new

CWOA | Mandrill Mayhem (World of Jumanji) | B&M Wing Coaster | 2023

Bowser

Mega Poster
I wonder how the throughput issue will be amended (if at all) because I can see the combination of a shuttle coaster and Chessington being a recipe for long queues...

I'm hoping at least the addition of 3 new rides has an overall positive impact across the rest of the park and there are no more 120 minute Vampire queues.

"Mandrill Mayhem - 180 minutes" 😔

ML27

Roller Poster
I wonder how the throughput issue will be amended (if at all) because I can see the combination of a shuttle coaster and Chessington being a recipe for long queues...

What John Wardley said about how he was impressed about the throughput, it’s probably been settled as the fact Merlin have put in a shuttle coaster (normally 2 per row) and made it a wing coaster therefore doubling capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lukas D

Roller Poster
What John Wardley said about how he was impressed about the throughput, he’s probably been settled as the fact Merlin have put in a shuttle coaster (normally 2 per row) and made it a wing coaster therefore doubling capacity.

That plus launches instead of chain lift.

ML27

Roller Poster
Looks slow.

Still can't believe this requires 4 launches.

Looks like it’s faster on the last video, I assume they will tweak it however, it doesn’t have much further to go up that upwards helix thing so I can’t see it getting much faster. That launch before the structure is quite pathetic

Matt N

CF Legend
That looks like it could be quite decent, actually! I have been sleeping on this a bit (I’ve been more invested in Exodus myself), but it looks to carry some decent speed, and it looks like it could be a decent family thrill coaster!

I’m not expecting this to be top 10 material or anything, but I certainly think it could be a really fun ride when I hopefully get on it later this year…

davidm

Strata Poster
Looks very solid - the helix around the statue looks a bit more interesting that I had thought it would be and that slow inversion is nice enough too.

Seems to fit the bill of what they are targetting anyway - high quality family friendly stuff, hope they theme it up nice too.

T0M

Hyper Poster
What John Wardley said about how he was impressed about the throughput, it’s probably been settled as the fact Merlin have put in a shuttle coaster (normally 2 per row) and made it a wing coaster therefore doubling capacity.

Ultimately it is a 28-seater train. I don't believe that fact it is wing means it will load faster than another 28-seat design. You could also have more seats in a different train design. No real sense in John's comments for me.

Last edited:

ML27

Roller Poster
But a normal shuttle would have been half that, with two per row. There’s only so many rows you can have to a train

JoshC.

Strata Poster
But a normal shuttle would have been half that, with two per row. There’s only so many rows you can have to a train

But look at a Vekoma junior Boomerang, for example. 10 rows of 2; 20 seater train. The looping Vekoma boomerangs seat 28 riders.

Mandrill's 28 might be more than the standard boomerangs that are built these days, but their capacity is nothing extraordinary. Couple that with the loading faff of a wing coaster, and it's hard to see how this is any better than any other boomerang.

BenJacobs

Roller Poster
But look at a Vekoma junior Boomerang, for example. 10 rows of 2; 20 seater train. The looping Vekoma boomerangs seat 28 riders.

Mandrill's 28 might be more than the standard boomerangs that are built these days, but their capacity is nothing extraordinary. Couple that with the loading faff of a wing coaster, and it's hard to see how this is any better than any other boomerang.
A better option might have been two ~20 person standard trains with a Mr Freeze style transfer track.

Bowser

Mega Poster
As a parent who only gets to go on the rides my son can go on these days this looks perfect.

The start seems.... odd though. What's the rationale in having the short reverse launch as opposed to launching straight out? I'm sure it'll be fun in terms of the experience, just seems slightly illogical!

Indy

Hyper Poster
The start seems.... odd though. What's the rationale in having the short reverse launch as opposed to launching straight out? I'm sure it'll be fun in terms of the experience, just seems slightly illogical!
It's a good way to build up speed in a really small area. It's very much akin to Schwarzkopf's Bullet; launch backwards up a spike and then let it rip when the train comes back through at speed.

This is such a bizarre ride and I'm loving it. I do have concerns that the stall while tilted 90 degrees to your side could prove to be quite uncomfortable. Time will tell.

Bowser

Mega Poster
It's a good way to build up speed in a really small area. It's very much akin to Schwarzkopf's Bullet; launch backwards up a spike and then let it rip when the train comes back through at speed.

This is such a bizarre ride and I'm loving it. I do have concerns that the stall while tilted 90 degrees to your side could prove to be quite uncomfortable. Time will tell.

That makes sense, thanks!

rctneil

Roller Poster
I'm very sure that this will be a fun ride, but I can't help feel that it may have been the wrong choice for Chessington. It's to do with the fact that Chessington is a very highly trafficked park (guest number wise), and what did they choose to purchase for it? a single train shuttle coaster!

It's quite silly I feel. I'm sure they'll do all they can to keep the throughput as high as they can, but you can only do so much with what you're given. You just know that the majority of the time, that train is going to be sat stationary in the station to allow guests to embark and disembark. A two-train operation really would help matters as when one train is dispatched, a second can start to be loaded, reducing the stationary time. BUT, this is ONLY suitable if the track length (out and back) is sufficiently long enough AND they build the infrastructure to allow multiple trains (eg, a sliding track or a switch track system). I am looking forward to riding it but overall feel it's the wrong choice for a park like Chessington. The flat rides will only do so much.

The wing coaster at Legoland Deutschland looks a much more solid ride.

Sorry, will stop being grumpy now.

As I said above, I will 100% go and ride it and i'll be the first to reverse course on my comments after i've ridden and experienced it.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
It's absolutely the wrong choice for Chessington and I'm still completely baffled why those in charge went for a shuttle.

I imagine the backwards inversion will cause more vomit stoppages than a regular coaster would too.

And it just doesn't look that good, even for a family coaster. It never really gets any momentum going. The wing coaster going in at Legoland looks better.

ML27

Roller Poster
I don’t think it’s right but also at the same time, it’s a very small area.

For me, this was always going to be the kids coaster before Exodus