What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Matt N

CF Legend
Businesses will have to follow social distancing; I think the move to guidance instead of legislation is more related to the new guidance surrounding being in people’s houses.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
All UK merlin park’s will have compulsory masks on the rides for guests over aged 6.

Seems like to visit any UK park you will need to bring a face covering with you.

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
its looking that way, Full trains means more people through the gates, means more money for Merlin, and they do like making lots of money ?

I see Spinball is missing from the list, is that cos you sit back to back ?‍♀️

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
This IMO is the best news today could have brought... I’ve witnessed first hand how much easier it is for parks to enforce masks than distancing... Honestly I’m totally over the moon :)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
its looking that way, Full trains means more people through the gates, means more money for Merlin, and they do like making lots of money ?

I see Spinball is missing from the list, is that cos you sit back to back ?‍♀️
Will be one group per train... Back to back only permits a distance of at least 1m... Back to back on that ride is not 1m

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Looking at Thorpe park, face masks are pretty much compulsory on every ride they have:

Face masks are compulsory on the following:
  • Stealth, Swarm, Nemesis Inferno, Colossus, SAW The Ride, Flying Fish, Detonator, Samurai, King Pig’s Wild Hog Dodgems, Samurai, Vortex, Zodiac, Mr Monkey’s Banana Ride, Storm in a Teacup
Which is pretty much everything which is going to be open I reckon.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
? RIP Tidal Wave then, best ride at Thorpe
Yay another tidal wave fan!!!

I love it too, not quite enough to put it at no 1, but it’s up there :) Can’t beat it in warm weather... Just need to remember to take spare clothes for the journey home... I packed them once, placed them in the boot, rode it 3 times at the end of the day, and even stood on the bridge like morons, only I hadn’t put them in the boot, I’d left the bag by the door at home... Not a nice drive back to the midlands ??

Will be missed on warm days!

JammyH

Hyper Poster
? RIP Tidal Wave then, best ride at Thorpe

The water rides will be open (I think), just masks won’t be required on them. I was saying that the list of rides where masks are required is most of the attractions which will be open.

I imagine water rides will be open. But I think indoor rides will be shut, but Thorpe haven’t confirmed the closed rides yet. I imagine walking dead, DGBT and angry birds 4d will be closed for the time being.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The water rides will be open (I think), just masks won’t be required on them. I was saying that the list of rides where masks are required is most of the attractions which will be open.

I imagine water rides will be open. But I think indoor rides will be shut, but Thorpe haven’t confirmed the closed rides yet. I imagine walking dead, DGBT and angry birds 4d will be closed for the time being.
No loss, good riddens, no loss

JoshC.

Strata Poster

They do say on their website that they recommend taking masks off on water rides so they don't get wet: https://www.thorpepark.com/about-thorpe-park/coronavirus/ (section 10).

As you say, there's no definitive list of closed rides yet. But certainly reading between the lines, one would expect Walking Dead, DBGT and Angry Birds to be closed. There's no mention either way of the Old Town rides, so it'll be interesting to see whether they simply don't need a mask, or if they're going to close that area off the help save on some running costs.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Oh dear, that can't be good. My thoughts go out to anyone affected.

Have the parks been really struggling since reopening, or have they not been pulling enough figures to warrant a certain amount of staff? Or is it just debts accumulated during lockdown coming back to bite them?
The parks should never have opened, the state should have remained locked down. They haven’t even peaked yet and recently started hitting over 3k new cases per day with a population 1/3 of the size of the UK... It’s complete madness... Unlocking before you’ve even hit that peak...

I don’t want to see where this goes if they don’t fully lock down or take some kind of serious action soon.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Take this with whatever interrogation you like (I will stress, I have taken it with basically none - other than acknowledging it's tested cases not hospital admissions or deaths, so important to remember the effect of simple doing more tests), but this chart popped up on Reddit today:
nvkxjqhzgo651.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/heglc5
If that isn't a second-wave projection, I'm not sure what is...