What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Good question! I think it all depends on what the government tells them to do; Europa Park and Phantasialand are loading full coaster trains with 1m distancing and facemasks, so I don't see why UK parks couldn't!

Also, wouldn't the 1m rule allow the parks to let in more guests if they made masks compulsory?
In Germany (Europa Park) they’re not even leaving a metre... Me and my son were put next to an elderly couple on Silver Star. And as a 3, one of us was constantly paired up with another single rider on other trains... Their risk management relies mainly on the masks it seems.

I think it all depends what exactly is said tonight. If it is made clear that smaller distances are only an option with other mitigation such as masks or back to back you may see changes in policy. Not just in parks but shops and pubs may make them mandatory too...

If it goes how I hope it goes we’ll be in a situation similar to Germany where we can operate our pub at full (seated) capacity by requiring masks away from tables, and the distances required at tables being less, as those closest from different groups will be back to back ?

I should imagine from a business point of view, parks are hoping for the same... Not just from a ride or coaster angle, but from an eatery and shopping angle too!

JammyH

Hyper Poster

According to BBC, official announcement comes up 12:30pm today. They also suggest that the new measures will involve one way systems, customers keeping 1m apart in spaced out queuelines and having to register for pubs and restaurants as part of a track and trace system. No mention of PPE in this article apart from “staff wearing face shields”.

This isn’t any different to what’s being done at the moment and practically suggests the distancing will be cut in half with no mitigating measures. I think it’s best to wait for an official announcement from the government at just after midday.

I certainly won’t be riding UK coasters if full trains are being dispatched without riders even having to wear masks or anything, would just make me feel a bit uncomfortable, given that even though the virus is retreating, it is still very much present in the uk.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Also, wouldn't the 1m rule allow the parks to let in more guests if they made masks compulsory?

In my opinion, if theme parks are told they can operate with the 1m, they should still keep to, more or less, the same numbers they would have considered under a 2m rule to start off with.

However they operate, they're not going to make as much money as they normally would. It's better to get the safety and experience for guests right first before getting the numbers up. See how it works with a number much less than you're allowed, what changes need to be made and what needs clarifying, then gradually up the capacity when you're sure what you have works and is enforceable.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

According to BBC, official announcement comes up 12:30pm today. They also suggest that the new measures will involve one way systems, customers keeping 1m apart in spaced out queuelines and having to register for pubs and restaurants as part of a track and trace system. No mention of PPE in this article apart from “staff wearing face shields”.

This isn’t any different to what’s being done at the moment and practically suggests the distancing will be cut in half with no mitigating measures. I think it’s best to wait for an official announcement from the government at just after midday.

I certainly won’t be riding UK coasters if full trains are being dispatched without riders even having to wear masks or anything, would just make me feel a bit uncomfortable, given that even though the virus is retreating, it is still very much present in the uk.
One way systems without any way of avoiding the need (masks etc) woukd effectively keep ours, and many other pub’s, indoor areas closed... How can most traditional pubs, with small pokey areas, introduce one way systems? Sure the big new build chain pubs can, but we have 4 separate small areas to our restaurant, with one way in and out.

We were just saying yesterday that the one way system would be more damaging to us than a 2m rule... As it effectively closes most of the indoors... And what happened to exposure time being a factor... Passing to go to the toilet is not 15 mins of exposure ???‍♂️

Also, even in Holland, at least they were sticking to distancing on rides... Where no masks were allowed!!!

In my opinion, if theme parks are told they can operate with the 1m, they should still keep to, more or less, the same numbers they would have considered under a 2m rule to start off with.

However they operate, they're not going to make as much money as they normally would. It's better to get the safety and experience for guests right first before getting the numbers up. See how it works with a number much less than you're allowed, what changes need to be made and what needs clarifying, then gradually up the capacity when you're sure what you have works and is enforceable.
The question is, will they make any money under current rules, or are they just minimising losses... Because I feel the second is true (it would be in pubs) And if that is the case what you’re effectively suggesting is that they ignore the rules laid out by the government, go several steps further, and continue to pay to be open / lose money, damaging the business more than is required by legislation...

Last edited:

JammyH

Hyper Poster
I have to say for me that today is the first press conference where I am genuinely nervous of the pending announcement. For me, it could restore a tiny bit of trust in the government’s strategy or I could genuinely lose all hope altogether.

I wasn’t nervous about non-essential shops reopening, because with the 2m rule the amount of customers limited to each shop was extremely limited and when inside, even if people aren’t distancing contact time is extremely low with other parties.

When talking about reopening the leisure industry, such as theme parks and cinemas and restaurants, Contact time becomes much higher. Whether it be in a theme park queueline, cinema seating or in a pub, you may be spending up to and around 2 hours within a metre of other people who aren’t in the group you’ve arrived with. That worries me, we are dramatically increasing contact time in all sorts of scenarios. If sensible mitigation measures aren’t put in then that could lead to a second outbreak, and even if it doesn’t (If the virus is seasonal or whatever), it would still make me feel uncomfortable, for example in a theme park queue or on a theme park ride, being in close proximity to others for such prolonged periods of time without mitigation factors such as face masks.

If the government don’t announce an increased use of plexiglass screens, widespread use of compulsory face coverings for the public and a track and trace strategy involving contact tracing of those from pubs and restaurants, it will make me quite uncomfortable and unfortunately I will feel compelled to stay away from public places. Unfortunately I wouldn’t be comfortable with visiting theme parks with only a 1m spacing and no masks in the current situation.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
It's hard to gauge if the decision is final but between Loopings and this badly Google translated article it seems Liseberg will not open at all during the summer.

Like I stated before Liseberg does currently have weekend (and Friday) openings scheduled starting October 3rd right up until and after Christmas with weekdays available in December too.

Matt N

CF Legend
Drayton Manor has now joined the list of parks in the UK announcing their reopening plans following the announcement made by Boris Johnson earlier today.

However, they have done it very differently to everyone else, opting for a phased reopening. Thomas Land and other select family attractions will open on 4th July, with the rest of the park following on 18th July.

What an interesting way to do it; I think they might be the first park I’ve seen that isn’t Disney or Universal opt for a phased reopening! I wonder why they went with this strategy?

It is certainly encouraging to see that they still have the financial capability to open this season, however!

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry for double posting, but upon closer inspection of the Drayton Manor website, I have been able to take a look at what will be available when the park reopens.

So, from 4th July-17th July, the following will be available:
  • Thomas Land
  • Carousel
  • Jolly Buccaneer
  • Accelerator
  • Flying Dutchman
  • Zoo
From 18th July, the following will be available:
  • Thomas Land
  • Carousel
  • Jolly Buccaneer
  • Accelerator
  • Flying Dutchman
  • Zoo
  • The Bounty
  • Maelstrom
  • Air Race
  • Shockwave
  • Polperro Express
  • Buffalo Coaster
  • Pandemonium
  • Apocalypse
  • Drunken Barrels
  • Sheriff’s Showdown
The following are closed until further notice due to COVID restrictions:
  • Dodgems
  • The Haunting
  • Emily’s Adventure Play
  • 4D Cinema
  • Bryan’s Museum
  • Thomas Exhibition
  • Spencer’s Outdoor Adventure Play
  • Stormforce 10
  • Terrence’s Driving School
  • Tiny Tots Play in the Zoo Farm
  • Reptile House
  • Zoo Experiences
  • Meerkat House
More info can be found here: https://www.draytonmanor.co.uk/tickets-and-prices/rides-20201

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
What a faff booking pass tickets for Towers :rolleyes: do they not understand people may want to visit Saturday and Sunday, ended up signing into my VPN and using a different email address as they wont let you book twice in a row

and now I feel a complete flake after all the huffing and puffing saying no way I will go on re-opening day ?

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Well boris has unfortunately put the nail in the coffin today for me visiting any UK parks this year. Only 1m distancing, and face coverings still only will be “guidance” and not mandatory. When will they understand wearing a face covering protects everyone else and not yourself? There’s no use a few people wearing them, everyone needs to be wearing them to stop the spread of this damn virus.

I will be staying away from UK hospitality unfortunately. No uk parks for me this year, hopefully I can get out to some european parks later in the summer ?

JammyH

Hyper Poster
wont all the traveling to EU parks put you more at risk than a few UK park day trips
No, planes are actually the safest mode of transport in terms of covid as fresh air is circulated into the aircraft every 3 minutes, compared to buses and tubes where the air particles are constantly recirculated. Plus, on public transport everyone wears face coverings meaning chance of transmission on public transport is now significantly lower. You can also drive to the EU (although we could talk about risks of car accidents, which are far higher than covid risks).

The covid rates are significantly lower in most EU countries compared to the UK as well.

The new legislation in this country will make me feel very uncomfortable in any uk tourist attractions. The legislation in other countries is much more well thought out, even if it isn’t adhered too.

Not to mention at most UK parks half of the attractions will be closed, especially at merlin parks. So I didn’t have much interest in going to any of them anyway. Only interest was Drayton manor, but now I fear overcrowding and no distancing and no masks.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Sorry to double post, I spoke too soon!

Face masks are compulsory at Drayton manor! 18th July here I come woohoo!! :D

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
@JammyH face coverings or alternative measures are ‘required’ if 2m is reduced to 1... Exactly as I predicted...

We now can move tables closer together, as they’re sat back to back, and will have to require face masks when not sat at the table :)

JammyH

Hyper Poster
@JammyH face coverings or alternative measures are ‘required’ if 2m is reduced to 1... Exactly as I predicted...

We now can move tables closer together, as they’re sat back to back, and will have to require face masks when not sat at the table :)
Thanks for letting me know, today’s briefing was pretty unclear what was actually happening and just seemed like all social distancing was being dropped altogether.