What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
[post edited]
Wow... Howie is a good bloke Jammy, no need for that kind of response mate :/

He also has some good points, that even Sky News and other TV outlets are beginning to touch upon live on TV.

Not saying I agree with all of it, not by a long way, but the maths, the maths doesn’t lie...

On April 2nd we hit 3800 cases... 5 days later on April 7th we hit 1037 daily deaths... Five days ago we hit 3300 yet yesterday we recorded just 21 deaths.

Spain hit their peak on March 20th for cases and April 2nd for deaths, with over 1000... less than 2 weeks apart... They hit a similar number / peak in cases 4 weeks ago, and are just now starting to see around 20% of the deaths they saw 2 weeks after the first peak.

For whatever reason, mathematically speaking, this ‘second wave’ is not looking anywhere near as deadly as the first... Whether that’s more testing, better treatments or simply less vulnerable people... The stats look overwhelmingly positive in comparison with the first wave.

That being said, put a bloody mask on @Howie The virus is still out there, and so are vulnerable people, it’s for their sake we wear them :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Thanks Nicky, it's ok, I knew Jammy would be all over that post like a rash based on his (or her?) previous comments in this thread, hence my disclaimer at the end about the verbal fisticuffs!
I'm not suggesting we all flount the rules just for the sake of being rebellious, merely that we, as a society, have an obligation to question the scale of response, and try to put it in proportion based on the level of risk, just as we do with the myriad of other potential dangers out there, viral or otherwise, that face us every single day.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I’m more than okay with some arguments and differing opinions on this forum, but I don’t think most posts here belong in the thread on COVID's “impact on theme parks” (which is a pretty sizable and important topic). I’d imagine about 20 of the 113 pages on this thread relate to theme parks.

SO, I decided to go ahead and make a thread for all these things! Go check it out Here. [REDACTED]

I don’t have much of a place in the thread's current argument. But let's keep things civil. There’s absolutely no reason to attack Howie here. I certainly disagree with multiple points (put on a mask!!!), but he's a good guy and a great member of the community. Take his post with a pinch of salt also, he admits he's talking bollocks in his own signature after all!

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Sorry Ed, but as you'll have seen in the other thread I think there is little benefit in trying to split theme park vs non-theme park at this stage.

Whether a given park is open, and if so under what sort of procedures/conditions, is linked directly to the status of the surrounding areas, which in turn is the stuff that would be reported in this thread.

We did, waaaaaay back when this thread only had about 25 pages, consider trying to split the two, but we decided it was going to be a moderation nightmare.

Let's keep it all here. It might not be perfect, but at least it's all in one place.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Have found this topic entertaining, but there have been lots of opinions stated as facts, disinformation central at times.
As an older, "occasional" smoker, in a very high risk location, surrounded by elderly clients, and a wife with a pre existing lung issue, I try to stick to the rules as best as I can.
Still done the local coasters weekly, but not at peak times.
Blackpool have done a great job of putting a system in place, but some insist on ignoring the rules...
There is no question we are into the second peak, deaths have gone down as a proportion of those with the illness, because the medical field now has experience of the virus, but it is going to hit the elderly and sick hardest, the young and well will get over it.

Deciding to go maskless is an interesting opinion, but I think it is going to put the vulnerable at greater risk overall.
We need to stick to the rules as best we can, despite some of our political leaders being foolish liars and buffoons.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Wow... Howie is a good bloke Jammy, no need for that kind of response mate

If he was really a “good bloke” he would wear a mask to protect vulnerable people in the community around him.

You can gang up against me all I want, but the virus is still out there, it’s still deadly and it’s still killing, I know 2 people who have been hospitalised by it and 1 dead, and I still know people getting sick and one with long covid. His opinion is completely inconsiderate and something that is putting the rest of society at risk.

On April 2nd we hit 3800 cases... 5 days later on April 7th we hit 1037 daily deaths... Five days ago we hit 3300 yet yesterday we recorded just 21 deaths.

Spain hit their peak on March 20th for cases and April 2nd for deaths, with over 1000... less than 2 weeks apart... They hit a similar number / peak in cases 4 weeks ago, and are just now starting to see around 20% of the deaths they saw 2 weeks after the first peak.

For whatever reason, mathematically speaking, this ‘second wave’ is not looking anywhere near as deadly as the first... Whether that’s more testing, better treatments or simply less vulnerable people... The stats look overwhelmingly positive in comparison with the first wave.

Yes, and I’m an educated person. I know we are testing more than the first wave, but Spain’s death toll has still risen to unacceptable levels. The only reason the virus isn’t killing as many as in the first wave is due to better testing, better treatment and focus on mask wearing, hand hygiene and social distancing. If we all went back to normal, stopped testing and stopped wearing a mask, the virus would kill just as many as it did in March/April. It’s a slippery slope. I’m completely aware the number of cases now are much more minimal compared to the situation back in March/April, but Spain has shown that the situation can escalate and I don’t think it’s ok to think over 200 daily deaths are acceptable, nor that 6000 deaths worldwide is acceptable. As you say, the maths doesn’t lie, and the maths shows that thousands worldwide are still suffering and losing their loved ones to this disease.

As cases rise, hospital admissions are also rising, of course at a steadier rate than in the first wave, but they are rising nonetheless, if we all stop caring and drop our principles then we will end up with as many hundreds of people dying a day as we had in March/April and then it will be too late, a national lockdown would be the only choice. It’s only because of the measures we have in place that it’s more “under control”.

I will not apologise to howie, simply because I don’t think it is fair to the greater community to stop wearing a mask and stop giving a damn, because it’s putting vulnerable people at risk and just increases the chance of more people dying and all of us being put under a second national lockdown. A lot of people blame the government during this whole time, but it’s down to the public to do their bit so we can all continue to live our lives and not have to lockdown again.

I am still deeply angered and upset by his post last night and really makes me question whether I want to be in this forum.

davidm

Strata Poster
Howie take a look at yourself fella - wearing a mask has never been about "you" its other people, about all of us, and taking this stance comes across as selfish and ignorant of other people (and its a frankly MAGA attitude).

There's no argument that Boris et al are clearly incompetent and spouting self-serving lie after lie (would not have taken a pandemic to make them behave thus, that is just standard operating practice for them) - but that's no reason to not do literally the smallest thing that you can do which might help the situation.

Disappointed mate.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
If he was really a “good bloke” he would wear a mask to protect vulnerable people in the community around him.

You can gang up against me all I want, but the virus is still out there, it’s still deadly and it’s still killing, I know 2 people who have been hospitalised by it and 1 dead, and I still know people getting sick and one with long covid. His opinion is completely inconsiderate and something that is putting the rest of society at risk.

Yes, and I’m an educated person. I know we are testing more than the first wave, but Spain’s death toll has still risen to unacceptable levels. The only reason the virus isn’t killing as many as in the first wave is due to better testing, better treatment and focus on mask wearing, hand hygiene and social distancing. If we all went back to normal, stopped testing and stopped wearing a mask, the virus would kill just as many as it did in March/April. It’s a slippery slope. I’m completely aware the number of cases now are much more minimal compared to the situation back in March/April, but Spain has shown that the situation can escalate and I don’t think it’s ok to think over 200 daily deaths are acceptable, nor that 6000 deaths worldwide is acceptable. As you say, the maths doesn’t lie, and the maths shows that thousands worldwide are still suffering and losing their loved ones to this disease.

As cases rise, hospital admissions are also rising, of course at a steadier rate than in the first wave, but they are rising nonetheless, if we all stop caring and drop our principles then we will end up with as many hundreds of people dying a day as we had in March/April and then it will be too late, a national lockdown would be the only choice. It’s only because of the measures we have in place that it’s more “under control”.

I will not apologise to howie, simply because I don’t think it is fair to the greater community to stop wearing a mask and stop giving a damn, because it’s putting vulnerable people at risk and just increases the chance of more people dying and all of us being put under a second national lockdown. A lot of people blame the government during this whole time, but it’s down to the public to do their bit so we can all continue to live our lives and not have to lockdown again.

I am still deeply angered and upset by his post last night and really makes me question whether I want to be in this forum.
Like I said mate, I don’t agree with much of his post, but I also don’t agree with personal attacks, such as those contained in your first response.

Nobody would suggest that any number of deaths are OK, But Spain’s daily figures are still lower than ours were when we started unlocking. Suggesting that with, as you rightly pointed out, proper management, this ‘second wave’ can be controlled without too many further national restrictions.

I think, I hope, that is where Howie was coming from. Of course it’s still out there, still a danger, but we need to be mindful of the severity of the current situation, and not let the media or anybody else twist is into thinking it’s worse than it is.

The Mask comment baffles me a little, does seem as though he completely forgot that mask’s weren’t to protect him. Even if he believes that they are doing little in regards to protecting others, (they definitely DO help btw,) they certainly help the vulnerable feel a little safer, and as a community that’s important.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Sorry Ed, but as you'll have seen in the other thread I think there is little benefit in trying to split theme park vs non-theme park at this stage.

Whether a given park is open, and if so under what sort of procedures/conditions, is linked directly to the status of the surrounding areas, which in turn is the stuff that would be reported in this thread.

We did, waaaaaay back when this thread only had about 25 pages, consider trying to split the two, but we decided it was going to be a moderation nightmare.

Let's keep it all here. It might not be perfect, but at least it's all in one place.

Thanks for the explanation! In retrospect, that certainly makes sense. I guess I have gotten to the point where I just get tired while reading this thread. Either that, or I'm embracing my new Gremlin persona these days :p

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
As a result of this little bout of research that I've been doing, I've come to a decision: I'm ditching the masks. I'm not gonna wear one anymore. Not indoors, not in shops, not to walk to a table in a restaurant, and definitely not to a theme park.
I know what you're thinking: "You can't do that Howie, masks are mandatory in shops n stuff".
Well, yes... unless you're exempt. And to be exempt, all you have to do is say to yourself "I'm exempt". That's it. You don't need to have any medical ailment, or breathing difficulties, or one lung, or a psychological condition, or anything at all. You just need decide for yourself if you're exempt or not. This isn't some sneaky loophole that allows you to 'get round' the law, it's the actual legal stance of the current guidelines - whether or not someone is exempt is entirely down to the individual. No documentation or written proof is required and once it's been established that you're exempt, anyone who questions that fact is themselves breaking the law. Even the police aren't permitted to challenge you any further.
The UK government has mastered the art of making laws that are unenforceable.
See for yourself, download and print your own 'I'm Exempt' badges/lanyards here:
The first statement that I have underlined is false. The second part I have underlined is true.

I cannot see any limb in the link you provided that permits a person to deem they are exempt on a whim, as you have suggested. One of the stated limbs should apply (albeit such limbs are stated to be non-exhaustive for completeness only).

The link provides that: “Those who have an age, health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering should not be routinely asked to give any written evidence of this, this includes exemption cards.” This means this discrete group is the only group that should not be routinely asked.

It also provides: “No person needs to seek advice or request a letter from a medical professional about their reason for not wearing a face covering.” Which simply means that you do not need evidence that one of the given limbs applies.

It’s would be more correct to say that you can falsely claim to be exempt and it is then extremely difficult to establish that you are not exempt.

That does not mean you are exempt if you falsely claim to be exempt.

An important distinction to make, I think.

I dislike the idea of complying with laws, regulations or guidance simply because they are laws, regulations or guidance... but there are clear public health objectives of this guidance in these circumstances.

Despite my liberal views I therefore do think it’s morally wrong to falsely claim you are exempt from guidance that is being imposed to save lives, irrespective of whether that guidance can be effectively enforced against you.

Last edited:

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
I was in Blackpool the last few days. Pleasure Beach good, most people adhering to the rules. Good weather.

However at the pier in the evening and surrounding areas no one gives a crap anymore. I can sort of understand it. People want to enjoy themselves. People too close to each other and most on the pier weren't wearing masks at all (I was wearing one Jammy, before you worry).

Businesses are making the effort with directions, mask requests etc. But how can you police it all? It's impossible. People can insult each other over this all they want to I still think it is always going to be a losing game. The virus spread from 1 person to begin with.

I hope the increase in cases is not going to lead to a national lockdown again but I worry it will.
Surely parks in the UK will be closing again?

I worry that some zoos could be dealt a death sentence soon.

The fact some politicians and tech billionaires are doing well out of this pandemic and it suits their agenda cannot be overlooked I reckon. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it is a bit fishy at times.

James F

Hyper Poster
I was in Blackpool the last few days. Pleasure Beach good, most people adhering to the rules. Good weather.

However at the pier in the evening and surrounding areas no one gives a crap anymore. I can sort of understand it. People want to enjoy themselves. People too close to each other and most on the pier weren't wearing masks at all (I was wearing one Jammy, before you worry).

Businesses are making the effort with directions, mask requests etc. But how can you police it all? It's impossible. People can insult each other over this all they want to I still think it is always going to be a losing game. The virus spread from 1 person to begin with.

I hope the increase in cases is not going to lead to a national lockdown again but I worry it will.
Surely parks in the UK will be closing again?

I worry that some zoos could be dealt a death sentence soon.

The fact some politicians and tech billionaires are doing well out of this pandemic and it suits their agenda cannot be overlooked I reckon. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it is a bit fishy at times.
Working in retail it is frustrating, as you're right, it is impossible to police. We ask people to wear masks in store, if they don't have one we ask if they're exempt, however if people want to disrespect the rules they are free to do so as we have not been given the authority to refuse entry.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Working in retail it is frustrating, as you're right, it is impossible to police. We ask people to wear masks in store, if they don't have one we ask if they're exempt, however if people want to disrespect the rules they are free to do so as we have not been given the authority to refuse entry.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk
That’s (authority) down to your company. Businesses are not ‘public’ places, and if any company wants to refuse entry to any customer for any reason they can do. As a business we do have to navigate discrimination laws, but that’s easily done with a clear policy. Anybody breaches that policy they’re not welcome. We’ve sadly had to turn away several customers who would otherwise have been good customers, but they just weren’t willing to fall in line with our covid policies.

With supermarkets it’s much harder I suppose. I remember Asda management telling me as a youngster that the average customer will spend £75,000 with them over their patronage... Losing those customers for life is not good practice.

With pubs, it’s a bit different, outside of your ‘regulars’ other customers visit far less frequently. Plus, if it’s a ‘nice family friendly’ pub, and they behave in a certain way, or have a certain attitude, having them around can be bad for business, and you’re actually better off without their custom, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

rob666

Hyper Poster
The piers in Blackpool have made little effort in ensuring compliance with the guidelines.
Packed, kids running everywhere, handwash dispensers empty for long periods.
If the entrance security fail to wear their masks correctly, what is that saying to their punters.
Beach 9/10 for effort, piers 1/10.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The piers in Blackpool have made little effort in ensuring compliance with the guidelines.
Packed, kids running everywhere, handwash dispensers empty for long periods.
If the entrance security fail to wear their masks correctly, what is that saying to their punters.
Beach 9/10 for effort, piers 1/10.
Did you post about this on the MAP facebook group?

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I went to M&S yesterday and was hoping for a tasty cream tea.

Some woman in the queue behind me joined without a mask. OK.

She starts coughing behind me.

A lot.

In the end I left the queue. It may be she has some pre-existing lung condition or illness but Jesus, if you are already ill and potentially most at risk from the virus, what the **** are you doing going to the shops without a mask.

I will have to leave open that perhaps there was some unknown reason permitting her to legitimately be there with that cough (in which case my ‘evils’ weren’t warranted) but I wasn’t taking that risk.