What's new

Cool hill-like elements

BigBad

Mega Poster
I am designing a coaster in NoLimits 2 and would like your help. It's a 400ft terarcoaster (or whatever category it should be...I say teracoaster because a terabyte comes after a gigabyte and stratacoaster seems like a word for the TTD style rather than just a height) with the B&M track style and their general idea of an out-and-back layout like Nitro or especially Diamondback. I have the "out" planned and mostly designed in FVD++. For the return trip, I'm mostly clueless. I could have a bunch of bunny hops, sure, but that's been done. They're even fun, but my mind was blown last winter when I saw what the twists and turns would be like on Fury 325. I also like the low airtime hills on Leviathan and Shambhala.

I would like your help in coming up with cool hill-like elements to include in the return trip. The more specific you are, the better. I'll get a lot out of a comment like "do a low hill like on Shambhala, but then roll slightly overbanked at the top before going into a double dip with big ejector air on the second dip." I think that we should be able to generate some fun elements.

There an RMC-style off-camber turn (banked the wrong way, so basically their wave turn) in the "out" section (as the dogleg like most of the B&M hypers have), and most of the air so far is ejector, so do not feel that you should keep your suggestions limited to what B&M has done and likely will do.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Well, how about a double-up/down, with a 75* banked turn/raised turn(like the Hades 360 turn after corkscrew), but turn only 45* from the track, then double down from turn.

That's really all I can think of. Good luck!

BigBad

Mega Poster
That's all? That's a pretty cool element! I could do that and then do some ground-hugging turns like El Toro.

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
Double reversed airtime hill like on Wicked Cyclone?
Off axis airtime hill like on Storm Chaser?
That figure 8 thing on Shambhala?
Extremely storng sustained ejector airtime hill like on El Toro?

BigBad

Mega Poster
Ayy Lmao said:
I've heard this mentioned a bunch. What is it?

Ayy Lmao said:
Is this just an air hill that's banked heavy at the top?

Ayy Lmao said:
It's a cool turnaround, but I think that it would be out of place.

Ayy Lmao said:
On the way out, I have about three seconds of more than -1Gs. There might not be enough speed to do that on the way back, though I should still be in the 70s on the way back, which is how fast El Toro is.

To clarify, that I'm working on this in NoLimits is more incidental than anything. My main interest is in hearing what are or would be fun hills or hill-like elements on a hypercoaster.

(The NL2 project isn't exactly moving quickly, either, as I'm still not very good with FVD++.)

Darren B

Giga Poster
BigBad said:
I am designing a coaster in NoLimits 2 and would like your help. It's a 400ft terarcoaster (or whatever category it should be...I say teracoaster because a terabyte comes after a gigabyte and stratacoaster seems like a word for the TTD style rather than just a height) with the B&M track style and their general idea of an out-and-back layout like Nitro or especially Diamondback. I have the "out" planned and mostly designed in FVD++. For the return trip, I'm mostly clueless. I could have a bunch of bunny hops, sure, but that's been done. They're even fun, but my mind was blown last winter when I saw what the twists and turns would be like on Fury 325. I also like the low airtime hills on Leviathan and Shambhala.

I would like your help in coming up with cool hill-like elements to include in the return trip. The more specific you are, the better. I'll get a lot out of a comment like "do a low hill like on Shambhala, but then roll slightly overbanked at the top before going into a double dip with big ejector air on the second dip." I think that we should be able to generate some fun elements.

There an RMC-style off-camber turn (banked the wrong way, so basically their wave turn) in the "out" section (as the dogleg like most of the B&M hypers have), and most of the air so far is ejector, so do not feel that you should keep your suggestions limited to what B&M has done and likely will do.

Jarrett, is that you?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Um, no.

You know why Steel Dragon 2000 had to use two different chains? They're HEAVY. That's why Intamin used cables for Millennium and I305. B&M does it but it's a huge restrictor for them, I can't see them getting there this way. It isn't feasible, it just isn't. If traditional coastersever hit 400 feet, they'll be with LSM or cable lifts. B&M won't be the first to do this, it'll likely be RMC with their single rail track or Intamin who has been pioneering structural arches in the context of coasters since 2010.

Do what you want but I advise going back to the drawing board and really thinking about how this would work if you're going for realism. But I highly doubt your product is feasible from what you're saying.

BigBad

Mega Poster
You're right that there are considerations for going up that high, but this seems like a pretty easy problem for smart engineers to solve. If someone went to B&M with the crazy idea (which I admit it is) of dropping $60 million on a ride like what I have in mind, they would make it work. There are elevators, wheels, magnets, and cable lifts; there are plastics and light metals for making a chain.

But I would have the same question if it were a giga: what are cool elements that could fit on a hyper/giga/tera? I don't just want bunny hops!

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
BigBad said:
Ayy Lmao said:
I've heard this mentioned a bunch. What is it?

Ayy Lmao said:
Is this just an air hill that's banked heavy at the top?

Ayy Lmao said:
It's a cool turnaround, but I think that it would be out of place.

Ayy Lmao said:
On the way out, I have about three seconds of more than -1Gs. There might not be enough speed to do that on the way back, though I should still be in the 70s on the way back, which is how fast El Toro is.

To clarify, that I'm working on this in NoLimits is more incidental than anything. My main interest is in hearing what are or would be fun hills or hill-like elements on a hypercoaster.

(The NL2 project isn't exactly moving quickly, either, as I'm still not very good with FVD++.)
https://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/wicked-cyclone-map.jpg[img]
Here it may show what a DRAH is.

[img]http://www.kentuckykingdom.com/_resources/presskit/stormchaser/Storm-Chaser-Features.png
Here it shows what a off axis airtime hill is. It's the element the train is traversing.

BigBad

Mega Poster
I'll take the "off-axis airtime hill" to mean the hill and not the turning drop. I don't know that I've been on one, but the idea of being tilted sideways yet floating is pretty cool, and something like that should be included.

The WC image doesn't show the element well. Is the idea that it's an off-axis airtime hill right and then left before going back down (or something like that)? I recall seeing that in the WC video and thinking that the roll might be too abrupt for my taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65vqy8Baasg

It's around 1:30, right? I could see that.

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
BigBad said:
I'll take the "off-axis airtime hill" to mean the hill and not the turning drop. I don't know that I've been on one, but the idea of being tilted sideways yet floating is pretty cool, and something like that should be included.

The WC image doesn't show the element well. Is the idea that it's an off-axis airtime hill right and then left before going back down (or something like that)? I recall seeing that in the WC video and thinking that the roll might be too abrupt for my taste.

Ok. Also you could in a wave turn

BigBad

Mega Poster
The wave turn is also appealing. If floating on your side would be fun, ejector air on your side would be cool, too. Any thoughts on how to do it in roughly a straight line rather than as almost a 180 turnaround? (I'm thinking of the wave turn that will be on Lightning Rod.)

BigBad

Mega Poster
The wave turn is also appealing. If floating on your side would be fun, ejector air on your side would be cool, too. Any thoughts on how to do it in roughly a straight line rather than as almost a 180 turnaround? (I'm thinking of the wave turn that will be on Lightning Rod.)

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
BigBad said:

Ok.You could also put in a wave turn

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
BigBad said:
Look at outlaw run's wave turn
outlaw-run-layout.jpg

BigBad

Mega Poster
That makes it look like a 90 degree turn, confirmed by a satellite photo. I suppose that it could follow/precede a Fury-style turn, though to be part of the "back" part of a hypercoaster. My favorite coaster (Diamondback) doesn't really have the "out" and "back" parallel, so maybe it's not so big of a deal.

(I'm annoyed that Google doesn't have a recent image of Carowinds. I want to see Fury from space!)

I do think that B&M should look into doing some of the off-camber turns (banked the wrong way) that RMC does. They new one they're building, Mako, has an interesting turn in the first hill, but how cool would it be to have that be a huge wave turn like on Outlaw Run? Better yet, have it low so that you go fast and can sustain ejector air (if B&M did ejector air) over a wide turn.

Edit: I found another cool one. It's around 1:47 of this video of Iron Rattler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GOv6HqYepc.