What's new

Colossus Partial Retrack (Thorpe Park)

JoshC.

Strata Poster
As I understand it, a couple of pieces of track were reaching the end of their life, and require either a lot of work or replacement. So that's what they're doing.

Peet

Giga Poster
As I understand it, a couple of pieces of track were reaching the end of their life, and require either a lot of work or replacement. So that's what they're doing.
In that case they're going to have to finally paint the whole ride, otherwise the new/refurbished bits will look really weird.

Reactions: JMW

Matt N

CF Legend
Take this with as much salt as you like, but rumours are now spreading that Taziker are handling this Colossus retrack…

Ethan

Strata Poster
New paint is all good but will still look a mess on the water feature and landscaping they ruined with concrete. It's a shame, if they replaced the trains (even if it means losing a car on each), painted the coaster/area up, landscaped and peppered some theming in, it would actually look decent. I've always thought the pathways going above and beneath the coaster always had potential.

Not sure how feasible new trains would even be, though.

INFERNOismybaby

Roller Poster
So, scrolling through TikTok to see that the track on Colussus’ heart line rolls has been removed for a partial retrack. Also done some snooping on other forums to see that this is confirmed.

I think it’s great to see that Merlin are taking care of their rides and extending the life of them.

I hope with this and Project Exodus, Thorpe Park is on an onwards and upwards trajectory.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
We have already discussed this but since Big One has its own thread, I think it's fair that Colossus can as well unless a mod disagrees. Rumour has it Taziker is the company tasked with the refurbishment, which should be interesting to see.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Happy for it to be a standalone thread, but it's not going in Ride Construction. :D

If there were any other posts on this topic, let me know and I'll move them to this dedicated thread.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Happy for it to be a standalone thread, but it's not going in Ride Construction. :D

If there were any other posts on this topic, let me know and I'll move them to this dedicated thread.
See here:-

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
Strange to not paint it fully prior to installing it, but heyho
The maintenance apprentice is running to B&Q as we speak.

But in all seriousness, it's likely to be primer as Dragons Fury at Chessington is being repainted and is the same shade of silver before the main coat goes on. I'm sure it won't take them long to re-paint the new bits.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Colossus’s new track has arrived, and is being fitted, it’s lovely to see the vibrant colour scheme back.

They’ve confirmed the primer track was the old track re-installed for them to start to commence train testing.

Source: TP AP Group.

Attachments

• C69FD980-2213-458F-8112-620C13BF86ED.jpeg
    C69FD980-2213-458F-8112-620C13BF86ED.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 28467075-E59A-4390-8F84-0DDDA1F41D0B.jpeg
    28467075-E59A-4390-8F84-0DDDA1F41D0B.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 4FEBFEF4-F83A-4220-BB0C-11B66309E2BA.jpeg
    4FEBFEF4-F83A-4220-BB0C-11B66309E2BA.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 72

spicy

Giga Poster
I am curious as to how that works I am assuming the main benefit of going to a company like Taziker rather than directly to Intamin for the track is that it's cheaper..

However... Does Intamin allow Taziker to copy their track style and retrack their coasters? Or will they frown upon Merlin using a 3rd party for the track?

I understand that Taziker have retracked the big one but Arrow are long gone, Thorpe could have just as easily gone to Intamin?

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I am curious as to how that works I am assuming the main benefit of going to a company like Taziker rather than directly to Intamin for the track is that it's cheaper..

However... Does Intamin allow Taziker to copy their track style and retrack their coasters? Or will they frown upon Merlin using a 3rd party for the track?

I understand that Taziker have retracked the big one but Arrow are long gone, Thorpe could have just as easily gone to Intamin?
Plus, making any modifications basically makes any warranty void (although I am sure Colossus' is long expired xD).

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster

I am pretty certain Thorpe and Merlin would have gone to Intamin first before going to Taziker, I feel like it was probably is more likely the case of Intamin not wanting to be involved in the project.

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
The problem is the shiny new track (which looks gorgeous) is going to make all the unpainted bits look even worse.

It's like having a facelift but only doing botox on the upper lips - it's just going to highlight the other issues.

I'm sure it's a multi-year replacement plan etc, but it will look a bit weird until it's finished.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I am pretty certain Thorpe and Merlin would have gone to Intamin first before going to Taziker, I feel like it was probably is more likely the case of Intamin not wanting to be involved in the project.
There's also a good chance that in the time frame Merlin wanted it done Intamin are fully booked up and dont have the manafacturing capacity to slot in the project. It happens on occasion and and probably more often than we think.