What's new

Coasters you can't believe people love

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Oblivion? Do people really love it though?

Don't really go for dive machines having done Oblivion and Sheikra. Sheikra was better though. The drops are scary rather than fun if that makes sense? With oblivion that's all you get and then it's over. Don't get me wrong it's good that it exists and dive machines make a good addition to a line up but not something I want to reride in a day. I did reride Sheikra but I've only done Oblivion once. I think they're a bit gimmicky.

Edit: Just seen that it has been mentioned so I second it and add a general dislike to dive machines.

Karly

Roller Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
Any other Wild Mouse, I wouldn't really consider an enthusiast's favorite.

I am glad to hear that. I have never really talked to people that are as in to roller coasters as I am. So I'm going by them. :oops: A lot of people I know love those steel ones. Honestly, I think I'd try the wooden one if I ever come across one. I'll try anything (within reason) once. It's something I was never on, so I'd have to give it a shot. I'll probably scream like a banshee, but I'll go on it. :lol:

ETA: Just watched a video of the BPB Wild mouse. I think I'd be okay on that one. It doesn't seem as wide open as the other ones.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
^Don't ride the one at Carowinds if that visual freaks you out. It's horrendously bad on Ricochet.

I'm going to go with flyers. I'm claustrophobic so I'm a tad biased (those restraints suck all the fun out of a fun, sunny day at Kings Island for me, I go all the time and haven't set foot in Firehawk's queue since 2013) but I just never found them enjoyable. The one Volare I rode was absolutely disgusting and painful, the Vekoma ones are almost as disgusting and painful as the Volares, and the B&M ones don't do squat except have a mildly bearable restraint system. Tatsu is the only flyer I've ridden I've seen make top tens and I don't get it at all. The entire ride is just gentle turn, snappy quick inversion, horrendously-paced turn, snappy inversion, boring turn, OMG PRETZEL LOOP SO INTENSE WHAT THE **** JUST HAPPENED?!?!?!?, boring turn, snappy inversion, brakes. You're just being hung in that Banshee restraint at crawling speeds instead of "flying at the speed of fear" as the ride's slogan suggests. I don't get why people don't find flyers as vile as boomerangs, standups, and most Arrow loopers but I especially don't get why some consider Tatsu world class.

I have a controversial coaster in my top three so to each their own but I could understand someone top tenning a multi-launching Intamin with plenty of good theming and terrain interaction over something that does much less with crappy restraints in a crappy riding position.

Not-so-honorable mention to Magnum XL-200 here. I enjoyed it, true, but it's not something I'd wait an hour for. I rode in the back and I found it lacking airtime and when it did have airtime at the end, it was so mechanical and robotic that it wasn't good airtime. Hope my perception of this coaster changes when I ride in the ejector seat at Coastermania!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'll step in to defend B&M Flyers. While they have a horribly cookie-cuttered past of Supermans with vile Six Flags theming to match equally lacking maintenance history; man do they pack a punch. To put it in simple terms, I love high positive g-forces, the kind that pin you into your seat and make it difficult to move a single muscle in your body. Pretzel loops are the epitome of the positive g inversion, and are one of my favorite inversions out there.

In terms of Tatsu, that is one of my top favorite B&Ms. The placement of the coaster on top of SFMM's hill gives riders great sweeping vistas on the overbanked turns, and the layout offers some of the best B&M inversions and maneuvers to be found on a coaster.

And at the end of the day, which flyer would you rather be riding: A Vekoma or B&M? ;)

I'll also step up to the plate for Magnum. Noone in their right mind would wait for this 89' classic. But it still sports a very authentic layout of nothing BUT airtime hills (plus a sweeping turn). And Ron Toomer it turns out was pretty good at guessing airtime, having never ridden any of his creations; Magnum's airtime hills are entered at high velocity with short hills, which equates to one of the top most bunny hop series. Stapling is always a threat with the 1980s Arrow lapbars, but if you can overcome that, you are in for a pretty damn good ride.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
To be honest...I found the Vekoma flyer more fun than the Superman Clones :O outside of the Pretzel, they are just forceless and while fun, not worth much of a wait, (which if I dont run to it first, ends up an hour long the entire day) while the Vekoma one just had such a whacky and crazy feel. I...liked it! Something about the turnover and going through that loop...
Agreed Tatsu was pretty awesome of course. Though even that, I wouldn't have an urge to ride more than once (unless there's like a small wait)

Agreed with Magnum 100% not worth a long wait, but honestly it's a really fun ride. I like it and the airtime is better than let's say the Morgan hypers :lol: and considering it is such an old ride and the first of the hypers, I think it's held up superbly.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Well, looking over my count I've made this lovely list of rides I've been on and found rather dumb, pointless, uneventful, or just confused as why people like/love them.

Colorado Adventure - Phantasialand - Hyped as one of the best mine train.. but it really hurt my back and was kinda... meh?
Any Vekoma Booster Bike (ridden Tover and Flamingo) - Just awkward and I found both kinda uncomfortable
Rita - Alton Towers - Come on, really.... really?
G Force - Drayton Manor - My god! Honestly, one of the worst!
Furius Baco - PortAventura - Now that Son of Beast is gone, Baco can have my #1 worst coaster spot!
Grand National - Blackpool - Was super excited to ride it... Got off shocked as to how terrible it was!
(((anything at Thrope)))
All 3 Back Lot Stunt Coaster at the Cedar Fair parks - While people might not rave about them... I found them pretty.. ZzZzz
Goliath - Six Flags Magic Mountain - Only ever ridden after they started stopping the train in the MCBR... but damn, how uninteresting
Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit - Universal Studios Florida - Just... ew.
The 3 Six Flags Superman - Ultimate Flight's - Georgia's is the best but that's still not saying much.
Shivering Timbers - Michigan's Adventure - Although you don't hear much of it anymore.. I had high expectations and found a dull ride that's too long for its own good (if it was a bit faster maybe?)
Prowler - Worlds of Fun - But I didn't think it was bad, I just wasn't blown away and failed to see how it could be better than Dash.
Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point - Really? Not that Ka is any better... but I'd rather ride so many other things in the park (same for Gadv)
Beast - Kings Island - Don't even get me started on this... Ugghhh
Verbolten - Busch Gardens Williamsburg - No thanks. Ridden front, ridden back.. Don't feel the need for a third. You can find me at Apollo.
Zeus - Mt. Olympus - Another you don't hear much of anymore... but all the hyper it had... It was in pretty terrible shape both times I've visited it.

Thought of a few.

Volcano is a coaster that most people seem to enjoy, but I found it very uncomfortable and just not that great.

Katun is another one, sort of along the same lines as Alpengeist. Absolutely huge, but just meh. I think over riding and then feeling nauseaus after didn't help either.k

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
^Considering how it's one of the two coasters that got me into the hobby, I'll defend Volcano. It has to have the strongest LSM launch on anything I've ridden (though I'll be on Thunderbird next week so that might change that from what I've heard) but I really liked it. Again, wonderful launch, some decent forces going around that first turn, and cartwheeling through those barrel rolls at a pretty decent pace around that mountan is pretty sweet. It was in the first top ten I made (though for obvious reasons has since fallen) and I wish Intamin had built more of them in the US.