What's new

Coasters you can't believe people love

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Yeah, I love Dwervelwind too. To me it was a high quality, well themed, glass smooth family coaster. Don't see why anyone would hate it. The music <3

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
ignace said:
caffeine_demon said:
Dwervelwind at Toverland - I hated every minute of it to be honest!

All 2 minutes? Why? Just curious, I love it myself.

It's difficult to put my finger on - I normally like spinning coasters, and don't mind euro mir - But my thoughts may have been swayed by:

1 - Having to have a good squish on the restraints
2 - lack of sleep and long journey catching up on me

Either way - I felt pretty dizzy afterwards!

Snoo

The Legend
I'll keep my standards low because I still feel they won't be as good as my favorites. It's not that the airtime is bad, as I do enjoy Diamondback and Goliath and let us not forget Phoenix is pretty much just floater.. but the experience is meh as well. I plan on riding Fury this year so we'll see if that changes my mind.

^ B&M Hypers are pretty uninspiring, I agree with you there for sure. They don't really DO much. I consider Leviathan and Fury in a different sort of category though, because the experiences are so different. Granted, I haven't been on Fury yet but I can tell by the layout that obviously it won't be like the regular B&M Hypers.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I have been sliding on B&M hypers of late too. Diamondback ran extremely well on its debut in 2008, and I had the chance to ride Goliath at SFOG in 2009 which was equally impressive. The feared "B&M rattle" however has really crept in on a number of seats. And it also turns out that when you have a very long train because of stadium seating - it can be difficult to do some tight elements.

So I hesitantly contend that B&M hypers are good - especially as there is nothing else truly active in the 200 ft. category with Intamin going mum - but there is still something to be desired.

andrus

Giga Poster
IntaminToWin said:
singforfood said:
Nitro at SFGAdv. I was so bored by it.

=D> =D> =D> =D> Agreed
Noo!! I do agree that B&M hypers can be a bit lackluster. But Nitro is the best of the bunch, and pretty fab to be honest! <3 Love the airtime, pacing and tight helixes, more than makes up for the quite unimaginative layout! :--D

Regarding what coasters I can't believe others love; I know it's not the first time I state this, but Exepedition GeForce. It's slow, have weak airtime and a rattle all the way around it.. I can not believe how anyone can fancy that coaster!?

ThomVD

Giga Poster
^ I think you might have had a bad run on it :wink: . When I rode it, it was fast, smooth (smoother than Goliath has ever been tbh) and had lots of airtime on every hill. Its biggest flaw seems to be that it runs quite inconsistently, but when it is running well it beats Goliath in every way (except for the lack of stengel dive).

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
IntaminToWin said:
singforfood said:

=D> =D> =D> =D> Agreed

The shame is it used to be a great ride.
It used to have strong, and sustained, floater on every hill. It also packed a decent punch.
I have no idea what happened but then I went next time and the airtime was very lacking, barely felt anything and it lacked that same punch it used to. Then next time, it was pretty good again!

The forums seemed to confirm it runs inconsistent now, which sucks, but yeah it can be a solid ride.
I will admit, it has by default become more "tame" as El Toro, Skyrush, I305 and RMCs have come out since that blow it way in terms of intensity.

singforfood

Roller Poster
JJLehto said:
IntaminToWin said:
singforfood said:

=D> =D> =D> =D> Agreed

The shame is it used to be a great ride.
It used to have strong, and sustained, floater on every hill. It also packed a decent punch.
I have no idea what happened but then I went next time and the airtime was very lacking, barely felt anything and it lacked that same punch it used to. Then next time, it was pretty good again!

The forums seemed to confirm it runs inconsistent now, which sucks, but yeah it can be a solid ride.
I will admit, it has by default become more "tame" as El Toro, Skyrush, I305 and RMCs have come out since that blow it way in terms of intensity.

It's an issue I have with B&M coasters in general, especially of that era. Until quite recently, B&M didn't make anything with sustained speed, just fast top speeds. They're constantly traveling into or out of an inversion / hill, with very little transition space, so you almost never get to actually feel any of the speed the ride builds up before climbing upward and decelerating into the next element. I was glad to see the work they did on Fury, Leviathan, and Shambhala by giving them some speedy sections.

I think the fact that the coaster wars escalated so quickly to the practical limits of height and speed (and budget) is going to be a good thing. It seems to have forced designers ditch world records as a lazy way of creating an "exciting" ride and challenged them to get more creative with layouts, pacing, direction changes, and g-forces to deliver a rush. RMC has been a great example of this... the stats on their rides are pretty modest as far as coasters go, but they're still thrilling.

mouse

Giga Poster
The big one, it's not loved as such but I guess it's not hated :?
The first drop is ok with good views, but the rest of it is rough, dull and forceless. I would get the same amount of enjoyment sitting on a pneumatic road drill for a few minutes.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
mouse said:
The big one, it's not loved as such but I guess it's not hated :?
The first drop is ok with good views, but the rest of it is rough, dull and forceless. I would get the same amount of enjoyment sitting on a pneumatic road drill for a few minutes.

I haven't ridden it, but looking at POV's it strikes me as incredibly bizarre that the first half stays so high in the air, it never has any really tall hills. It just kind of stays tall.

FanThemePark

Roller Poster
I can't believe that people love Ghostrider at Knott's Berry Farm so much. It's so rough and painful. I'll ride it once each time I visit, but no more than that or I'll get a headache! An Iron Horse treatment would be so awesome for this coaster.

3Dimensions

Mega Poster
ignace said:
Saw gave me an headache, but I like it for all the reasons mentioned above.

Gives me a headache every time I go on it now too. However, I do find it the most thrilling ride in the park. The indoor section is incredible especially if you are in the first car. It blew my head off the first time I rode it - the scenery in the section before the drop is just unreal. The bit after the brake run takes me by surprise every time I ride it, I think it is the last inversion that creates the headache for me (although the loud screens and air blasts add to it too).

Snoo

The Legend
FanThemePark said:
I can't believe that people love Ghostrider at Knott's Berry Farm so much. It's so rough and painful. I'll ride it once each time I visit, but no more than that or I'll get a headache! An Iron Horse treatment would be so awesome for this coaster.

I've heard almost NOTHING but the opposite for GR. I didn't find it as bad as everyone said as it actually was decent but not good nor horrifying as some say.

Karly

Roller Poster
I guess I should be embarrassed by this but, any Wild Mouse. They scare the crud out of me. I laugh when people say they are afraid to ride any coaster with inversions because they are scared it will fall off the track. But that is exactly the thing that freaks me out about the Wild Mouse.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^ I guess you're referring to people's love for the BPB Wild Mouse. It is actually wooden, and is a lot crazier than other Wild Mice. The cars tilt a bit, and you can literally hit your head on the lift. Any other Wild Mouse, I wouldn't really consider an enthusiast's favorite.