What's new

Coasters with moments of utter insanity

Gazza

Giga Poster
The bottom drop and sharp turn into the brakes on on Green Lantern at SFMM. On my ride were head first when on the lowest pont of the track at the bottom of the drop...Most intense coaster moment ever.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Only one that I can think of that stands out would be Nemesis' last inversion as it comes out of nowhere.

Minor ones would be Oblivions holding brake, Khan's zero-g or Tomahawk in general.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
Skyrush's...well, everything, but mostly that right-left transition over itself before the last airtime hill.
That bit <3
Phoenix's last 3 bunny hills to end the ride.
The entire back half of Magnum XL-200.
The drops on Fahrenheit and Maverick.
Thunderhead's fly-through, mostly the part where it kicks back to the ground right after the station.
Finally, pretzel loops. There isn't enough of them.

bladeboy

Roller Poster
- The drop after the launch on Furius Baco.
- The drop on Oblivion.
- The speed hill on Shambhala.
- The red vortex finale on Space Mountain: Mission 2.

Alastair

Roller Poster
One which no one on here has probably said yet...the amazing airtime hill on the red side of Dragon Challenge. Probably my favourite moment on any invert!

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Alastair said:
One which no one on here has probably said yet...the amazing airtime hill on the red side of Dragon Challenge. Probably my favourite moment on any invert!

That moment was insane when they were dueling and Ice was doing an inline twist below your feet. It was the best near miss moment of any ride I have been on so far.

Now, it has had its balls cut off.

Hulk's launch into zero-g is still insane.

Phantom's Revenge second drop might still be my favorite drop on a ride ever, the head choppers going under thunderbolt are pretty insane.

Alastair

Roller Poster
rtotheizzo17 said:
Alastair said:

That moment was insane when they were dueling and Ice was doing an inline twist below your feet. It was the best near miss moment of any ride I have been on so far.

Phantom's Revenge second drop might still be my favorite drop on a ride ever, the head choppers going under thunderbolt are pretty insane.

I can only imagine...only rode it after they stopped the duelling. Still, as an element it's one which is pretty rare among inverts (usually a loop is followed by a Zero-G/Immelman), and I feel that King's Island are missing a trick by not including one on Banshee.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Alastair said:
rtotheizzo17 said:
Alastair said:

I can only imagine...only rode it after they stopped the duelling. Still, as an element it's one which is pretty rare among inverts (usually a loop is followed by a Zero-G/Immelman), and I feel that King's Island are missing a trick by not including one on Banshee.

I don't remeber much airtime on that element, or is there another reason you think it is so good.

Alastair

Roller Poster
CookieCoasters said:
I don't remeber much airtime on that element, or is there another reason you think it is so good.

I think the fact that it was so good was because it was so unexpected, and also because I've never experienced airtime on an invert (ie. with legs dangling) before. I think it makes for a different sensation to normal sitdown airtime.

gforce

Roller Poster
-Dodonpa's launch and airtime hill
-Tennessee Tornado going into the brakes
-X2's Raven Turn
-Dauling Dragon's "high five" element
-The second half of Boulder Dash
-El Toro's hill over Rolling Thunder
-Expedition GeForce's second airtime hill
-Furius Baco's launch and airtime bit
-Outlaw Run's "wave turn"
-The first drop on T Express
-Krake's chain release
-Any zero-g roll on a B&M Winged Coaster

Alastair

Roller Poster
The high speed mini camelback on Shambhala, and (although I haven't ridden it) the same on Leviathan.

CheeseBoy8

Roller Poster
The airtime on the hill over Rolling Thunder on El Toro is absolutely RIDICUOUS.
Other moments of insanity include just about all of Skyrush, and the heartline roll out of the station on Hydra.
I also thought that the pain on Desperado at Buffalo Bill's was pretty insane...

Hobbes

Mega Poster
rtotheizzo17 said:

That was definitely awesome, and one of my favorite coaster moments...but I wouldn't classify it as insanity. More like pure genius :p

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit's Non-Inverting loop was definitely one of those "wtf just happened!?" kinda moments, especially on my first ride.

I thought the pretzel loop on Superman was pretty crazy.

When Impulse coasters stop on the vertical spike, its pretty insane in the back row.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
El Toro's "secret drop" over Rolling Thunder is absolutely rediculous.

Skyrush overall is crazy intense. So much AIRTIME!!!

Storm Runner's flying snake dive has some good whip to it.

jokerman

Giga Poster
Hobbes said:
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit's Non-Inverting loop was definitely one of those "wtf just happened!?" kinda moments, especially on my first ride.

That ride is barely worthy of a mention in any topic, let alone this one.

Unless the moment of insanity you mean was the moment they decided it would be a good ride to actually build.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
jokerman said:
Hobbes said:

That ride is barely worthy of a mention in any topic, let alone this one.

Unless the moment of insanity you mean was the moment they decided it would be a good ride to actually build.

HA!

+1

Kebab

Giga Poster
Usually moments on coasters cause me to see stars. Ones that I can think of from the top of my head are...

- Furius Baco's launch into a drop and 80mph helices.
- Finale of Wild Mouse (Pleasure Beach)
- Nemesis helix and Zero-G
- Stampida's insane lateral G final turn into the station
- Vortex (Siam Park City) surprisingly forceful final helix.

Those are the only ones I can recall (nearly) greying out to.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
La Vibora with 6 grown men leaning on each turn.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p68GTUoFhUo[/youtube]