What's new

CoasterForce's Favourite Roller Coasters - 2021 Edition

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I've ridden all of the European coasters on that list apart from 1, and the only surprises there for me are that Hyperion and RTH are so low.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
and the only surprises there for me are that Hyperion and RTH are so low.
In the case of the latter, why wouldn't it be? Not very many people have had the chance to ride it. It is ranked very highly among those who have, but it only figured in two of the submitted lists.

Hyperion is a bit more "accessible" as it has been around for longer, but still ... of all the places our various members have gone, Poland is not necessarily the most common.

You could change it, though! If your list had been posted in the thread, Taron would have booted Lightning Rod out of the Top 3, Untamed would have risen above El Toro and taken #8, and Ride to Happiness ... uhh, would have plummeted ten places because it's your #5 while the other two guys had ranked it #1.5 on average.

Still, every list counts, so head to the thread and post your list, everybody!

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
In the case of the latter, why wouldn't it be? Not very many people have had the chance to ride it. It is ranked very highly among those who have, but it only figured in two of the submitted lists.

Hyperion is a bit more "accessible" as it has been around for longer, but still ... of all the places our various members have gone, Poland is not necessarily the most common.

You could change it, though! If your list had been posted in the thread, Taron would have booted Lightning Rod out of the Top 3, Untamed would have risen above El Toro and taken #8, and Ride to Happiness ... uhh, would have plummeted ten places because it's your #5 while the other two guys had ranked it #1.5 on average.

Still, every costs, so head to the thread and post your list, everybody!
That'll teach me to keep my list up to date!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to check how my late list would have affected things, seriously appreciate that, it's interesting to know.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hyperion's not top ten material, either. :D

It's first three elements are, definitely, but the rest isn't really Top 30 stuff when compared to the likes of stuff that beat it. I think 10th place is actually pretty respectable, given that. It's #15 for me personally - if it kept up the vigour for the second half it'd be a Top 5 coaster, but sadly it doesn't.

Top 15 is also a mighty respectable place to be, though.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Still, every list counts, so head to the thread and post your list, everybody!
Out of curiosity, I ran a quick correlation comparison of our historic polls. With correlation, the computer is comparing how likely "column A" and "column B" are to move together (for instance, temperature and likelihood to wear shorts are very correlated, as you'll be more likely to wear shorts as temperature increases). A perfect correlation is 1.00 - this would mean each cell of each column is moving perfectly lockstep - and 0 is a perfect uncorrelation.

Year
Correlation

The takeaway - there was a wider variety of opinion for what was "the best" roller coaster this year, which is why the 2021 correlation is at 0.67, down 3 percentage points from last year.

As @Pokemaniac has emphasized - this can be due to having a smaller sample size (which means each ballot/ranking is worth more), and can also be due to there being a wider variety of good coasters in the world.

Honestly, I am super interested to see how Ride to Happiness and Zadra play out in 2022; both have marks to crack into the top 5 and #1 slot respectively. VelociCoaster? I feel it's going to general nestle near the #5-#7 slot (see my trip report for rationale) as more folks get to ride it. But in turn, Iron Gwazi and Pantheon will be interesting new additions to the field this year, making the top 25 even busier.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

It's first three elements are, definitely, but the rest isn't really Top 30 stuff when compared to the likes of stuff that beat it. I think 10th place is actually pretty respectable, given that. It's #15 for me personally - if it kept up the vigour for the second half it'd be a Top 5 coaster, but sadly it doesn't.

Well when you put it like that, with such a balanced and well thought out argument, that is both logical and makes sense, then I have to admit... You're just wrong!

DelPiero

Strata Poster

hit-the-nail-on-the-head-gif.gif

And it shakes like a 💩ing dog.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm interested to see if Flying Aces in the UAE could be a top 10 coaster. I've only heard good things about it
It is very, very good (especially the non-inverting loop), but is much less intense than Skyrush. I reckon a combination of the two (basically just Skyrush with inversions) would be outstanding. Sadly, I don't expect we'll see Intamin creating many of those...

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm interested to see if Flying Aces in the UAE could be a top 10 coaster. I've only heard good things about it
It's extremely good but not quite top 10 worthy (for me). Sits in the low teens though.
@Hixee is right about the intensity, the airtime hills just don't do what Skyrush does, there's only one comparable hill and it meanders a little in the middle of the ride. The non inverting loop is a total wtf moment though, like the first time you ride Hyperion's turnaround in an edge seat.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I just came back here to say that it's getting worse... :( Definitely slipping down my rankings (which are not in the slightest bit up to date in my sig)

Seems ok in the middle seats still, but the wing seats are basically unrideable, so much so that even a lot of locals seem to be avoiding them!!!
Massive shame as the layout is great. I guess it's now happening on both trains, I wonder if it's the trains which need an overhaul or if the track is at fault.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Massive shame as the layout is great. I guess it's now happening on both trains, I wonder if it's the trains which need an overhaul or if the track is at fault.
Well, the park was dead on all but our first half day of the 4 days we were there, and coasters were walk on every day (and often waiting for guests) so they only had one train on. Therefore I cannot say for certain it's on both trains.

It's definitely worse on at least one train though, it's not great avoiding wing seats constantly when you're in a group of more than 2... So we just didn't ride as often as we normally would have done over the 4 days. :(

It's 100% affected by the weather though, as I've suspected in the past. We got both types of weather on this trip. First 2 days were very warm and sunny, last 2 days were cold and windy. It was vastly rougher on the colder windier days. And noticeably slower too. That floater hill in the sun offers decent sustained floater, akin to a B&M hill. On the colder windier days it noticeably slows down and offers next to nothing at all, almost seeming to struggle to even crest it.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
It's 100% affected by the weather though, as I've suspected in the past. We got both types of weather on this trip. First 2 days were very warm and sunny, last 2 days were cold and windy. It was vastly rougher on the colder windier days. And noticeably slower too. That floater hill in the sun offers decent sustained floater, akin to a B&M hill. On the colder windier days it noticeably slows down and offers next to nothing at all, almost seeming to struggle to even crest it.
This is interesting, maybe as it's running faster the train is having less time to shuffle as it's hitting the next part of the track earlier. Would indicate it's a train issue rather than the track.
Just cements Zadra as the better of the two ;)
Next time I head back to the park I'll obviously ride it again, and hope it's a sunny day and I can snag a middle seat - that's a depressing sentence :(