What's new

Coasterforce Quiz!!!

A

Anonymous

^That's practicing beforehand furie - Is it allowed? And have you read book one?

I was sad enough to look at Wikipedia for the plot this dinnertime and it just makes NO SENSE.

I did pick up that there are seven books and lots of parallel universes and the second book has three in the title, then after the woman with multiple personalities and parrot talking wombat/dog/monkey/possum thing, matching beam guards and Robert Browning it was going blurry.

Maybe I'll try doing the quiz with the screen turned off like gavin is this month.

Six?! Ew! I know a lot about animals but these questions were sort of tricky. Heck, I don't even know what the heck an ocelot is.

Ah well, I'm not last, so that's a plus.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^^ I know! I don't know what the hell is wrong with me this month. Last month I played every day either drunk or hungover on holiday, and now that I'm sober and concentrating I'm doing crap.

There's still time though...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The literature quiz is pathetic, it's all about Dark Tower. Not fair in the slightest. If it was about literature in general then it would be fine, but it's unfair to ask about specific books.

So yeah, I won't be playing the CF Quiz, (or restickying this topic) until Literature is removed.

[/sour loser]

bazpa

Hyper Poster
^Same here, I was doing okay I think then got 3 Dark Tower Questions and just turned it off. Like Ian I've no problem with Literature as a subject, but it shouldn't be always about 1 book or Author - not unless its a round about Stephen King.
No score from me.

Ben

CF Legend
I like the literature quiz...

And at least I only got ONE Dark Tower question. Which I got wrong. I just guessed Father Callahan cause I know he's in King's books, and that Dark Tower features characters from his other books.

The only other one on Stephen King was about The Stand and The Shining, which I know well.

Then two questions on Fables, an easy one on Hamlet and the rest (like, five) on Romeo and Juliet.

9/10. Currently first.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I agree actually. Easier literature shouldn't contain quotes from very obscure Stephen King books (in this case, the Bachman books).

I had 4 King Questions! One about the Bachman books, one "first lines", and two Dark tower. I'm a Stephen King fan and have read all his books over the years except maybe a handful, plus the Dark Tower series. That's easily over 20 books over the last 20 years. The ones mentioned in the quiz aren't his most popular books, they're the bland trash you read and forget.

Having it in the "easier" set is just plain wrong.

The Shakespeare, I can cope with as it's general story knowledge. Likewise, the "who wrote such and such a famous book", or "what is the literary name for this kind of story". That's fine, it's good literature general knowledge.

The problem is the way in which the quiz is set up. It's a site filled with "specific knowledge" quizzes. You can click on the original quizzes all our questions are taken from. So there is a 10 question "Dark Tower book 7" quiz. It's in the literary section, and because they're easy questions about book 7, it's classed as easy. However, they're not easy questions in general, so they're actually misfiled for the general quizzes.

The problem seems to be that there are lots of King quizzes, all falling into this category - which is why we end up with such a high ratio of those questions. Either the quiz people need informing (by Ollie) that their system is deeply flawed in this way, or the literature questions need ditching. It's a shame, because I think that the general literature questions are actually pretty good.

Oh, and 8/10 :(

[edit]Just checked actually, I've read 35 of Stephen King's novels, and several of them multiple times (I read IT every 18 months or so for instance). So I could probably do relatively well in an "all King" quiz, but not some of the random questions here.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
2 Dark Tower questions = 8/10

It is really annoying, but take those questions out and the literature rounds are actually pretty good. As Furie said though, it's not like someone is hand picking 10 questions. I think the selection is supposed to be pretty random, but there's just a disproportionately large amount of Dark Tower quizzes to choose from.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
gavin said:
2 Dark Tower questions = 8/10

It is really annoying, but take those questions out and the literature rounds are actually pretty good. As Furie said though, it's not like someone is hand picking 10 questions. I think the selection is supposed to be pretty random, but there's just a disproportionately large amount of Dark Tower quizzes to choose from.

I looked on the site, and checked out the literary section. There are more literary quizzes based on King than Shakespeare, more on King than any other literary section!

If you then look into it, there are only a handful of "general" King questions sets on easy, but the muppets who created the Dark Tower quizzes put them mostly (around 250 of them) on 'easy'. That's why there are a disproportionatley large number of Dark Tower questions.

There should be a way of getting them to re-evaluate the questions...

Rach

Giga Poster
I got 4 today.

I would be fine with the Literature questions if there weren't so many Steven King questions in there.

Ugh.

David

Mega Poster
7/10.

Helps if you're familiar with Stephen King, unfortunately I am not.

I am, it doesn't - furie

Emmmerrrr

Mega Poster
5/10.

I think I got one Dark Tower question and out of the rest of them I think I actually knew 2, so I did kind of alright I suppose.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Never heard of the Dark Tower series, so that didn't help things.
And I've never read a Stephen King...

6/10 is still respectable, though, I suppose.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I'm with Furie and Ian. Get rid of the literature quizzes, they're really unfair and stupid.

I got 4/10 anyway.

Also, have you made any progress on my quiz?