What's new

Coaster Count Accuracy

So after spending a few hours writing my coaster count by hand because I'm old school like that, not to mention almost screaming in frustration trying to figure out certain creds I may have missed, it made me wonder what the accuracy of some people's counts are. Obviously, as enthusiasts, we keep track of our counts, but what about as kids? Are there some fairground creds you may have picked up unknowingly as a child? Has your memory ever eluded you to the point where you couldn't figure out if you actually even had a cred or not? Is your coaster count 100% accurate or is it a few off? Personally I think mine is a few off because of the carnival creds I probably picked up as a kid that I never bothered to count, but other than that I think I did a decent job figuring it out.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I usually just count ones I have some memory of going on. However, there is one coaster I count, where I can't actually recall going on it. I went to Parc Asterix quite a lot when i was very young, so I think to myself I must of ridden Ronde de Rondins (or whatever the little coaster is called), but I technically have no memory of riding it. The fact I have started counting relatively early in my life probably helps me recall most creds from when I was a kid.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I think my count is very accurate. Luckily my parents took photos of every ride that I went on as a child. There are some rollercoaster ones and I'm in those photos. Therefore I think my count is accurate.

therick311

Mega Poster
I'm very casual about my count. I will only occasionally log into a counting website, usually if I'm bored and curious about it.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
If I don't remember riding a coaster I don't count it. Mum insists I've ridden coasters on Clacton Pier for example. I don't remember them so I don't count them. My first 20 coasters are in a pretty vague order, and I have dated them roughly. I'm grateful ATTACKHAMMER got me interested in coasters so early, so from creeds 21 to the dizzying heights of 92 are all 100% accurate with accurate dates and, in the case of parks with multiple creds, in order of which I first rode them so I'm happy with my list!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I don't count fair/carnival coasters except the major ones (Olympia Looping, Alpinabahn, etc.), so I'm not worried about those missing from my list.

bmac

Giga Poster
I actually had something like this happen to me. Back when I was first running through my count I had many parks missing on my list, enough to add up to about 40 coasters that I just flat out did not remember I went to when I was younger. It was so bad that it actually moved my 100th coaster from the Cyclone in 2012 to one of Cedar Point's coasters way back in 2010. As of now to my knowledge I am 100% up to date with 165 coasters and 35 parks on my count.

Hutch

Strata Poster
For the most part, I think my coaster count is pretty accurate. I may have forgotten about a fair coaster or something I rode when I was little, but I can't really remember and that probably would've been one of my first coasters.

Snoo

The Legend
^That guy.

Last year in Texas I added about 15 but I haven't had a huge leap in my count in quite a while and last time I did, I was quite on top of the game.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
When I became a goon I got an app that allows you to check off your coasters and I got 49 that I had ridden in the past and I just went from there and added it when I rode it. Mine's lower if anything as the initial 49 didn't include the first traveling dragon wagons I rode as a young child.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I Think mine's pretty accurate - as I don't think we'd have been in places with too many traveling coasters when I was very young - Mum tells me we went to blackpool when I was about 2, but I doubt if they'd have taken me on virginia reel or cyclone, which are the only creds there then which I haven't got since!

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I think mine is pretty accurate the only coaster I don't have photo proof and I didn't remember riding at first was Barnstormer at Magic Kingdom. When I really looked at it and I remembered riding with my cousin Tyler. Dragon Challenge might be a little off because I felt like crap that day and I had to ask my friend which side we rode because I couldn't remember. After watching the pov I started to remember but other than those two my count is pretty accurate because I didn't really ride that many coasters before becoming a enthusiast.

Then there's also the other issue of what counts and what doesn't. So consistency really. I have a hard time wanting to count Steeplechase as three creds, but then I realize I have to because I count racing coasters and such as two creds. Same with fair creds, I don't wanna count kiddie fair creds but I would count them if they were in a park. Although, I only count fair models generally once each unless they're super far from each other in distance that way I know for sure I'm not double counting a cred.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I like to be consistent too - I also have an "if it looks and feels like a coaster I count it" rule - so I have no problem including alpine coasters in my count.

I dislike coaster count and I prefer to do my count by hand. Coaster count includes Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure as a cred, and I don't really count it as one. Does anyone else? It also leaves out a lot of traveling creds.

davidm

Strata Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Coaster count includes Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure as a cred, and I don't really count it as one. Does anyone else? It also leaves out a lot of traveling creds.

Don't think it does?

It also has travelling ones fairly well I think and allows you define what you include (powered etc) - are you confusing it with another site*?

coaster-count.com

(* - eg. coastercounter has HP at IoA as a powered coaster, which it clearly isn't)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
My count is how I want it, I don't count traveling, alpine, or any nontraditional creds. I'm more about quality than quantity. Seeing how many I've skipped in the past, it's hard to say what my number would be if I were super anal about counting, I just don't really care?

Obviously I'll count Olympia looping and the other big traveling ones, but the wild mouses at fair's aren't worth a +1, especially since I don't know if I've ridden the same one from year to year, or fair to fair.