Cheese on Toast - Grated or sliced?

When I make cheese on toast, I

• grate the cheese.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • slice the cheese.

• don't care.

• This topic is spam and Ian should ban himself.

• Total voters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Sad/scraping the barrel topic time!

I'm having a fat day today and am planning on having cheese on toast for my dinner.

Do you grate or slice your cheese? I can't decide.

Mat

Hyper Poster
Slice definately... it melts better, but I would love to click the last option! :twisted:

Martyn

Giga Poster
danthecoasterman said:
Slice, I can't grate cheese to save my life :lol:

What? How can you not grate cheese? Do you not have hands? Or a grater?

Anyway, grated, easily. Because the Lea and Perrins can seep into the gaps, which is good.

Ben

CF Legend
Sliced melts better, therefore its better.

But, I'm not a big fan of cheese on toast. The closest I get is beans on toast with cheese on top. In that case, it's grated, so I guess...

AeRo

Hyper Poster
Spam eh? *drools*

Ah well cheese has to be sliced to melt properly, then once melted...lashings of pepper.... *double drools*. Oh and it has to be strong cheddar, preferably Scottish! :p

Meh I am going for option 4 :p

Gilly

Roller Poster
Martyn said:
Anyway, grated, easily. Because the Lea and Perrins can seep into the gaps, which is good.
Mmmmmmmmm...........Dam right!

Grated all the way!

(For those of you who can't be arsed to grate, buy it already grated!:lol:)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I tried both methods this evening and I can conclude that it tastes better when it's sliced, however the L&P does not settle correctly. Sliced cheese also melts evenly, leaving no gaps, whereas grated cheese seems to make more of a mess and is uneven.

Sliced cheese is the superior when not using L&P, grated with.

Pierre

Strata Poster
If you slice or grate them properly then it doesn't matter, so I voted spam as you clearly should of consulted Ainsley Harriot instead

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Should've waited til thursday Ian, its National Cheese on Toast Day on thursday, allegedly, according to my mum...

Sliced for me though. The cheese needs to be nice and thick, yes still soft. Its got to be done perfectly until the cheese is happily bubbling away and just going golden brown. Oh yeah, and it needs mixed ground pepper in there too.

Uh, Ian should ban himself, really.

But no, on the odd occassion when I do have grilled cheese or something, I'll just rip the cheese slice in half and put one half on one piece of toast and the other half on the other piece of toast.

Yes, I'm that lazy.

Martyn

Giga Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
the cheese slice

That was possibly the most American answer to the question. Cheese slices, for god sake.
Any cheese that you can peel from other cheese is just wrong. And too thin for cheese on toast.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sliced cheese is almost the laziest form of making cheese on toast (obviously ripping cheese flavoured plastic slices off other cheese flavoured plastic slices is the laziest (and most vile) ).

The slice issue is riddled with problems:

1. The cheese tends to be too thick, and needs extra melting, which often causes "Burnt Edge" syndrome.

2. L&P issue noted above.

3. No left over grated cheese! The biggest advantage to grating cheese, is grating too much and then grabbing handfuls of one of the best snacks ever. I don't know what chemical transformation cheese goes through when it's grated, but it goes from great to sublime!

4. You lose the adventurous surface of a grated cheese on toast landscape. Your pallet climbing the mountains, and tongue down the troughs of grated cheesiness is an oral fantasy come true... Or something. Grated cheese on toast is rolling Alton Towers, to a sliced, flat Flamingoland!

Where are the Welsh members anyway in this topic??? Come on, this is your national dish! You've got to have some say in the matter!

Oh, and for those of you struggling with grated fingers, I've provided a quick reference to grating:

cheese.jpg
cheeseslice.jpg

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
6 oz Cheddar cheese, 1 tsp English Mustard and 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce???

And this is the WELSH national dish... I think maybe Floyd should be hung up by his ceilliau (cheilliau, geilliau, ngheilliau - Whatever the Welsh is for balls) :lol:

AeRo

Hyper Poster
Yeah but wtf is a roux? :S

Why cant TV chefs make the recipies simple:

1. Cover bread with thick SLICES of cheese. (cut directly from the slab)

2. Whack it under the grill until melted.

3. Sprinkle with lashings of Pepper.

4. Eat!

I just had 2 slices of toast and cheese as above......yummy... go me for a fat bastard! :p