What's new

CF Music Swap

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Might put something in if I can find the time. Finding some good spooky songs will be a bit of a challenge, though. I'll see what I can do. :)

jayjay

Giga Poster
I'd like to wrap up the submission phase to this round. @GuyWithAStick, @mouse and @Sandman could you give me your picks sometime before the end of tomorrow please :)

Lots of spooky stuff arrived in my inbox so far! I'll shuffle and send shortly afterwards.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Sorry guys! Is this still open or done? I've been busy and haven't had a chance to get my **** together!

jayjay

Giga Poster
I haven't sent anything out yet, so if you can get your tunes to me, I'll send everything out once you're done! Cheers.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Apologies, my work schedule exploded, so Halloween's a little late this year. You should all have a roster of tracks to review now. let's get those critic juices flowing!

jayjay

Giga Poster
Can confirm that I have all of the reviews in now! Thanks everyone, I'll copy over the results when I get back.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Aaaaaand, here they are

@Thekingin64 on HeartlineCoaster
Beast - Shadow:
Catchy although not my style, enjoyable enough to listen to but wouldn't choose to listen to again. 6/10

Ice Nine Kills - A Grave Mistake:
Has potential but not quite pulled off correctly. I do usually like these metal ballad-style songs but this didn't work for me. 7/10

Dreamcatcher - You and I:
Again not my style. Can see people why others would like it though. 6/10

Chiodos - Duct Tape:
Much more my style, very enjoyable. Definitely best of the lot. 8/10

Motion City Soundtrack - Pulp Fiction:
Very good although have heard better. As with Beast, enjoyable enough to listen to but wouldn't choose to listen to again. 7/10

Overall: Decent selection although not amazing, wouldn't complain if any came on the radio. Not sure how Halloweeny any of them are though.

@caffeine_demon on mouse
Childish Gambino - Terrified:
It's kind of like a less bonkers Bjork, with a bit of skunk anansie thrown in - quite pleasant, given a few listens I might actually get to like it!

Lily Allen - The Fear:
Good solid pop - but doesn't seem to be haloweeny! (at least until the moderately scary noise right at the end!)

Kate Bush - Hammer Horror:
Did I ever tell you how much I love Kate Bush? This is no exception - quirky and interesting without being OTT. Lovely video too!

BADBADNOTGOOD & Ghostface Killah - Six Degrees:
BADBADNOTGOOD sums this up nicely - then again, I'm not a big fan of rap

Black Devil Disco Club - “H” Friend:
Does "H" stand for "horrendous" or "horrific"? Certainly isn't "harmonies" anyway... Possibly the worst song I've ever heard!

@HeartlineCoaster on Gavin
Giuseppe Verdi - Dies Irae:
Oh yeah, that one.
Stops being lively and memorable quite quickly doesn't it.
Good for what it is, but not something I'd sit down and listen to.

Krzysztof Komeda - Lullaby from Rosemary's Baby:

Probably needs a bit of context to enjoy, like watching the film.
Someone singing la la la in a creepy fashion doesn't really do it for me.

Tori Amos - '97 Bonnie and Clyde:
Not the sort of ASMR I'd subscribe to. I've already got someone for that (a Korean girl unsurprisingly).
Not much going on musically either. More like a good poem.

Wojciech Kilar - Vampire Hunters from Bram Stoker's Dracula:
Again I think you need to know/like the film to enjoy this stuff. Same with the soundtracks I listen to. Each to their own, bit bored now.

Kate Bush - Get Out of My House:
Here we go, song time. Oh, video is blocked.
Found it.
Weird but endearing, as I've come to expect from her. Dies a bit at the end again as a piece of music.

Well that was a thing. Not bad as such, but no new obsessions on the horizon for me. The mind is full.

@ATTACKHAMMER on caffeine_demon

Echo and the Bunnymen - : Classic song 8/10
Moby - Porcelain: Not sure of the link to halloween 3/10
Camille Saint-Saens - Danse Macabre: Interesting piece of music 7/10
Shane MacGowan with Sinead O'Connor - Haunted: Surprisingly good! 7/10
Bobby 'Boris' Pickett - The Monster Mash: Cannot stand this song 1/10

@mouse on Thekingin64
Michael Jackson - Thriller:
This is a good funky song, but I’m numb to it. I think I’ve heard it too many times to have much of an opinion. I don’t really like Michael Jackson tbh. 6/10

Bad Wolves - Zombie:
I was drawn in by the slightly distorted opening piano, but then it went a bit Eurovision rock ballad. Not really much of interest for me here, the usual big dramatic choruses, distorted guitar solos and angsty male vocal. Its all done fairly well, just nothing new or interesting. 4/10

Lordi - Blood Red Sandman:
Oh it’s that camp metal group from Eurovision! This is alright, kinda sounds like the theme tune to a kids action film or something. Someone needs to give that poor singer a cough sweet. Its all a bit over-dramatic and contrived, but Lordi are good fun. 6/10

The Eagles - Witchy Woman:
Change of tone from the last two tracks, enjoying this. Guitar is nicely understated and I like the husky vocal. 7/10

+44 - Little Death:
I should say that as a general rule I’m not big on anything led by distorted guitars, I like to hear a variety of new and interesting sounds. I like lots of stuff like Radiohead and Pink Floyd that experiments with guitar timbre, but I get bored with a lot of guitar music very quickly. Including this track. 3/10

@GuyWithAStick on jayjay
Röyksopp - Skulls: Hmm, interesting song here. I enjoyed the synth and all the instrumental bits, but the vocals didn't really do it for me. The music video was pretty decent, though. 5.5/10

Radiohead - Bodysnatchers: Quite a fun song! Had a solid beat, some good vocals, and one super creative music video! I really enjoyed this one. 8/10

Susanne Sundfør - Among Us: Another interesting one. Enjoyed the base song a lot, had some nice vocals and a real nice mix of synth and acoustic instruments. But that video was weird. It was cool and all, but it was certainly something. 7.5/10

The Darkness - Black Shuck: Ah, I love me some good ol' glam rock. While the vocals(especially during the verses) weren't the most pleasing, I feel like they fit with the frantic-ness of the singer trying to describe the beast. Not the best thing in the world, but solid nonetheless. 8/10

Kero Kero Bonito - Only Acting: Sweet jesus I hate it. It just kept getting worse and worse. But that's what they were going for, so they nailed it in that regard. 9/10

@gavin on GuyWithAStick

David Bowie - Magic Dance:
Love it. Such a great childhood throwback.

The Lion King - Be Prepared:
Love a good Disney villain song, and this is up there with the best even if I'm not a huge fan of the film itself.

Of Monsters and Men - Crystals:
S'alright. It's a new one on me, but can't help feeling I've heard stuff like it a million times before though.

Childish Gambino - 3005:
Hate the reductive chorus, but really like the rest of it. Donald Glover is just genrerally overall fab.

Gorillaz - El Manana
I don't know what it is about Gorillaz, but I've just never connected with them. Everything about them, and this track, suggests that I should like them, but it never quite gets there for me and I don't know why.

Overall, apart from the first two tracks -and even those are a bit tenuous - I'm not really getting a Halloween or "spooky" vibe with this selection.

jayjay on ATTACKHAMMER
Misfits - Dig Up Her Bones:
Not much of a fan. For the front of a metal band, the lead guy doesn't project a lot of confidence, like he's not sure what he should be singing.

Ghost - Stand By Him:
More like it on the lead vocals front. It's understated, but he sounds like he's supposed to be there. Music wise, it bounces along at a steady pace then mixes it up for the solos in the middle. Decent.

Aqua - Halloween:
Oh God yes! I was going to criticise the completely unenthusiastic "scared" acting by the woman, but that's part of Aqua's charm really. Maybe not as catchy as some of their best tracks though.

Judas Priest - Night Crawler:
This has punch! Their lead singer grabs the song by the balls and rides all the way to the end. That said, his falsetto after the brief solo isn't great. The backing is tight and keeps the flow going all the way. Proper spooky too!

Ramones - Pet Sematary:
80s rock mixing is great, isn't it! Wikipedia tells me it's about a Stephen King TV adaptation. Maybe a bit campy for a Stephen King adaptation.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
@Thekingin64 on HeartlineCoaster
Not sure how Halloweeny any of them are though.
How on the nose did we want them to be? ;) I knew I should have gone for Smashing Pumpkins. Maybe Helloween.

Videos should speak for themselves on the K-Pop.
INK song is based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crow_(1994_film)
Chiodos literally contains the line 'Dressed up so scary like it's Halloween'.
I'll admit MCS was a stretch to give a bit more genre range, but it still references 'slasher films'.

mouse

Giga Poster
@caffeine_demon
Black Devil Disco Club - “H” Friend:
Does "H" stand for "horrendous" or "horrific"? Certainly isn't "harmonies" anyway... Possibly the worst song I've ever heard!
Woooaaahhh careful you just slated the best 5 minutes of music ever created :p

@gavin
Kate Bush - Get Out of My House:
Ugh she is such a genius, the intense production and insane vocals make it so uncomfortable and claustrophobic, chuck in some donkey noises and you got something truly original.

@GuyWithAStick
Kero Kero Bonito - Only Acting: Sweet jesus I hate it. It just kept getting worse and worse. But that's what they were going for, so they nailed it in that regard. 9/10
This has got to be the best review yet.

Thanks for organising jayjay!

Will

Strata Poster
@Nitefly has inspired me.

Anyone fancy another round this week while I've got time to kill? :)

No particular theme, unless anyone wants to suggest one.

Last edited:

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I'm up for another.

Was thinking about this topic a few weeks ago, thinking of a Christmas themed one? Too late for this year now but next year is always possible