What's new

Celebrity Deaths 2009 Edition

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I understand the humor in your posting "I win", but really nothing to laugh about (no offense taken Viper). A real tragedy that. :(

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hmm, I'm not going to add multiple deaths such as the Palestinian/Nigerian deaths as points. Points go to Raybould and Ben.

nealbie

CF Legend
Billy Wilson - American footballer in the 50's (died 27/01/2009 of cancer aged 81)

Jerry Fowler - American footballer in the 60's, later went into politics and finally arrested for tax evasion (died 26/01/2009 of a heart attack aged 68)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
SchumacherFerrari said:
Billy Wilson - American footballer in the 50's (died 27/01/2009 of cancer aged 81)

Jerry Fowler - American footballer in the 60's, later went into politics and finally arrested for tax evasion (died 26/01/2009 of a heart attack aged 68)
American footballers that none of us Americans have even heard of are celebrities? :?
I would also rate Billy Powell as questionable.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Ingemar Johansson, the Swede who stunned the boxing world by knocking out Floyd Patterson to win the heavyweight title in 1959, died Friday. "Ingo" floored the American seven times before the referee stopped the fight in the third round at Yankee Stadium (the largest venue to hold a boxing match at the time).

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I saw that too but didn't post it because only you would consider him a celebrity. :wink:

nealbie

CF Legend
East Coast(er) General said:
I saw that too but didn't post it because only you would consider him a celebrity. :wink:

Considering that we've never met... you know me too well :roll:

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I was crushed to find out that Lux Interior, one of the greatest punk rockers of all time, passed away on Wednesday due to an existing heart condition. I had the privilege of seeing Lux perform with his band, The Cramps, four times and nobody has ever come close to matching the energy & stage presence that Lux commanded at their performances. Lux was 62 years old.

Another musician to pass away this week was Dewey Martin, the drummer who helped found the pioneering country rock band Buffalo Springfield with Neil Young and Stephen Stills. Martin (68) had health problems in recent years and it's believed he died of natural causes earlier this morning.

Our American members might know actor James Whitmore, who is best known as the TV pitchman for Miracle-Gro plant food. The 87-year-old Emmy- and Tony-winning actor succumbed to a long bout with lung cancer on Friday.
His long-running "Give 'em Hell, Harry," tracing the life of the 33rd president, was released as a movie in 1975. Whitmore was nominated for an Academy Award as best actor, marking the only time in Oscar history that an actor has been nominated for a film in which he was the only cast member.
I remember him from many old TV Westerns like Bonanza, The Big Valley & Gunsmoke, but he also had recent roles in all 3 CSI series & The Practice. Some of our British members might also recall seeing him in the films The Shawshank Redemption & The Relic.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
American Freestyle motocross rider Jeremy Lusk died of head injuries on Tuesday after failing to land a backflip in competition in Costa Rica last weekend. He was just 24-years-old.
Luck was coming off his best-ever season in 2008, winning Freestyle gold at the X Games and silver in Best Trick when he landed the first double-grab Hart Attack backflip, the same trick he was performing in Costa Rica. He also won a bronze helmet in Freestyle at the Moto X World Championships in his hometown of San Diego.