What's new

Cedar Point | Valravn | B&M Dive Machine

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
There is a pattern of coaster enthusiasm, one that enters this self-hating stage where no one can offer anything interesting to say and so churns out "but the GP will love it" over and over. I've been there, thinking I was being clever by seeing past my nerdy selfish interests, but I realised I'm just wrong a while ago. It's the biggest trope of the wider community. We need to stop thinking of our opinions as being so vastly different from the masses, because like I said before, the masses just lack of knowledge to pre-judge, but they can tell a good ride when they get off it and they lack our overall preference for comfortability that comes from over-riding. In a similar light, I think a lot of criticisms people throw at coasters are kneejerk rubbish like "it's rough" without seeing the whole ride as a package. No ride is perfect, it's about weighing it up. Maverick, for example, has some transitions that don't work all that well with it's OTSR.

It's hard to tell how popular Maverick is, going back to Snoo's point, because it's capacity ain't great... And like I said before, that's probably why CP keep getting boring B&M's now and spent money transforming Mantis from an operationally slow stand up to a speedy sit down. For all that Maverick did well for them, it's throughput is not going to be anywhere near the likes of Gatekeeper. Cedar Point gets mad busy, but I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to have a sea of samey-feeling coasters from here on out, but I can't think of another reason why they would keep buying B&Ms of recent. There's no way it's because the selling point is good enough alone... Hm, though that said, the surge of people buying wing coasters implies that parks think their gimmick sounds or looks impressive... Why I have absolutely no idea, because no non enthusiast gets why they're unique or interesting without detailed explanation, and I've had people say to me "so it's like Nemesis?" to which you have to be like "well, yeah, except... erm, you're on the side of the track which ...looks cool?" Like, seriously, what is so appealing that is making parks keep buying them, I don't get it? And here's an even better question, why almost 20 years post-Oblivion is CP going "oh hey vertical drops are cool right?" I'm not saying that every new coaster should be some new gimmick, not at all, but it is a bit weird imo that these rides never really... took off, but rather have just slowly appeared over the past 20 years. What is the thought process behind buying one??

There is absolutely zero snobbery in being like "that coaster is boring and the public will agree", which is basically my stance here. What's gross is when someone tries to have an interesting discussion and people, instead of responding and talking about it, throw insults that anyone even had a thought outside their bubble. There's more to this hobby than watching mud and track slowly go up and discussing commenting "I don't like the colour scheme". Cedar Point fans are the absolute worst for defending their precious park, because they never even try to come up with a response, they just throw their toys out the pram and call everyone names. Cedar Point is not very good critically. It's a fun park to visit, there's a lot there, when it's not raining their operations are some of the industries best, but the lineup is mediocre and they keep building boring rides.

I agree with Crazycoaster above, too, that Oblivion's appeal is almost entirely tunnel based. I've heard people say they prefer G5, but it's important to remember it does still have a tunnel. Sheikra's second drop is definitely better than it's first. A lot of my problem with big coasters is they lack falling sensation because they typically have long trains, increasing speed gradually, and the distance from the ground and other objects to compare your speed to is so great that there's no illusion of speed. This is what I mean when I say "Millenium Force's drop doesn't do anything", because whilst the ride has appeal for being so high off the ground through most of the circuit, there is no sense of speed or acceleration. Compare that to Big One, which has a jagged first drop because it's a poorly made piece of poo, but there you have a sensation of speed caused by the fact that it's violently doing stuff as it falls. I'm not saying it's better, I'm just saying that it's important to accept that some rides stereotypical "faults" are actually what make them great, and stuff like smoothness can actually be detrimental to ride experience.

Intricks

Strata Poster
I just tens to label any and all new rides as "Fun.". It is an easily useable blanket term that most people will agree with. I dont expect Valravn to be the next big thing up at Cedar Point (as I expected the same for Gatekeeper), but that doesnt necessarily mean they wont be fun. I actually enjoyed the drop on Griffon as it was floaty and it just kind of felt like I was falling out of my seat on the drop. It wasnt sudden, but the sensarion of being secure and STILL needing to "ground" myself was partly terrifying. I liked that sensation, so having one that is more readily accessible would be nice.

Going back to a comment you said previously Joey, I think an issue with the lack of re-ridership up at Cedar Point is because of the reasons you stated in a later post: Cedar Point gets busy. Stupidly busy. When it gets that busy, you dont really have time for rerides as that line alone took up a decent chunk of possible ride time within the park. Of all the times I have been there, the only people who will do a reride are those that will have a Season Pass, those that are staying for an extended time, or chucked out the 100 bucks ontop of entry price to get Fast Lane. Ive done it before with a friend who hadnt been in forever, and I still barely made it through all the major attractions (Mavericks Fast Lane was about an hour with its main line being about 3hrs). Reriding any given ride is simply too expensive for anyone going there for a day, and is only really plausible if you either stay there for a weekend or get a lucky dead day. Cedar Points size and popularity could be a reason why we may never see another interesting/unforgettable coaster being put in there for a good period of time.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: Cedar Point | Valravn | B&M Dive Machine

Yeah, when I went I thought it was insane busy for a weekday before kids broke up from school. But we could have rode everything easily in a day if it hadn't "rained" (it was spitting). We had two days.

But I'm talking about when its dead - like how Snoo describes. I've heard from staff and regular visitors that quiet days Gatekeeper was walk on after the morning rush in opening season, whilst TTD, MF and Mav had queues. That's exactly the same at Thorpe. Part of that will be capacity - the B&Ms are just capable of better throughputs, but not to this level of extreme, and actually... loading faff on Swarm is so extreme I'd put money on its actual real throughput being lower than most B&Ms.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I wasn't particularly thrilled when this coaster was announced. It doesn't make sense add such big, but vanilla coasters to parks where there is already a huge selection of coasters. After the first year, due to the new coaster hype, they'd just fall into the background of the already busy lineup, while certain coasters which have stood the test of time will continually get queues. How popular are the other 3 B&Ms?

Snoo

The Legend
Quiet days are the measure. The only coasters in the park with a queue on the average day are TTD, Maverick, and MF almost without fail. TTD and Mavvy have some capacity issues but MF is still by far the most popular coaster in the park and when they have all 3 trains running, can mow down a queue with the best of em.

That is why, whenever you see someone ask for advice, you almost ALWAYS see someone tell them to plan around TTD, Maverick, and MF because those are the most popular and the best coasters. The rest? Besides the morning, Raptor and Gatekeeper are walk-on. Magnum can gain a queue mid-day due to TTD, but outside of that, you shouldn't be waiting more than 10 minutes.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Here's my problem with your argument Joey, you sound like anyone who disagrees with you is wrong. That's how I'm seeing it from my side. Realize the history Cedar Fair has had with Intamin recently and you know why they go with B&M. It's a safe investment. You won't have significant downtime, reprofiles, or the plethora of other issues. Mack are simply not a major choice for US parks, which is a shame because the one Mack launcher I did, which is probably their worst, was fun. (Manta SWSD)

That brings me to my next point, why does every ride have to be innovative? Alton is full of gimmicky **** and the only thing that interests me in the entire park is Nemesis because I love inverts. Just because it isn't mind blowing doesn't mean it won't be enjoyable. Isn't that the point, we find roller coasters enjoyable?

Cedar Fair is clearly resisting RMC...look at GhostRider as all the proof you need. Maybe when they enter the true steel market they will.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Snoo

The Legend
Tom.. heres the thing.. why waste time on safe? We've had safe for almost a decade. Cedar Point is supposed to be the best park on the planet right? Why go safe with a coaster that.. well will maybe probably be good? I mean lets go spectacular! Their best coasters are all not 'safe'.. their best coasters were risky ventures that proved to be incredible. Safe gets you Scream! at SFMM, gets you Gatekeeper.. get you Valravn.

My point in all this is we expect more from CP. Innovation is what they do.. or should be. They aren't anymore. They bet safe and hope for the best. Go big or go home. Thats the enthusiast in all of us. Do you want to ride a mediocre B&M Floorless or Maverick?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I don't mean to come across that way Tomahawk, but I'm aware I sometimes do. I'm willing to have my opinion altered, though. I am OK with someone going nah I disagree, here's why... But people don't, instead resulting in poo-pooing anyone who defies convention WITHOUT actually explaining why they think otherwise, and that is frustrating.

There's a huge difference between gimmick for the sake of it and gimmick nestled in good design. I'm not asking for innovation from CP, just something exciting in physical experience terms. Something like Maverick! Something like TTD, something like (arguably) MF. I'm not a huge fan of MF, but I respect it and understand its worth because I listen to how others feel about it and taje that into consideration.

As for the relationship with Intamin being rocky - ya know, that was the case at Busch Willyburg too, and we got a cool Zierra out of it. That's a valid point though - I criticised Busch because the irony of being anti-Intamin and going to someone like Moser for a drop tower is just hilarious. At least CP, if genuinely concerned about reliability, safety and throughputs, are being logical about it. But B&M are capable of great, exciting rides, CP just lacks them. Why? Why else other than misguidedly trying to please the masses without understanding what they actually want? They want an exciting ride. Why can't we have more quality layouts that produce outstanding experience? CP has the space, the money, but yet they have no Tatsu, no Fury, no Banshee, Nemesis or Kraken.

I get what you're saying, that not everything can or should be some hyperactive 10/10, but CPs lack of exciting coasters is a problem given their numbers.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
It's been 10 years since I've been there, but I found Blue Streak and Wicked Twister as the biggest surprises there. Mille was underwhelming, Dragster was amazing, and Maverick was a pipe dream. I'll be going back this year finally, getting my first wing and dive coaster to truly get to judge them.

The dive model is so limited with the train design and how fast it loses speed. I do wish we could see a different layout.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
The biggest surprise for me at CP was Disaster Transport, which I thought was a tonne of fun. And yeah, Blue Streak was decent. But here's the thing, here's the problem, both rides were good because no one had been talking about them, hyping them, posting photos of them on the internet to get me excited. They were hidden gems in CP's sea of mediocrity, because whilst they too were mediocre, they were better than I expected. When you ride some big awesome thing like Raptor and it's less than you expected, but you go on Disaster Transport and it's better than you expected, you come off favouring Disaster Transport even though you KNOW it's not any good. Blue Steak is a decent enough old woodie, but wooden coasters are decent pretty much by default. This goes back to the whole "exciting" feeling relating to roughness I talked about a few posts (essays) back and why B&M aren't exciting unless they're really good. The same applies to dark rides, unless they're REALLY good, they're terrible. Blue Steak isn't anything special in the wider world of wooden coasters. Disaster Transport wasn't special in the wider world of ...indoor coasters. Raptor isn't special in the wider world of inverts... etc etc. We could go through almost ALL of CPs lineup like this.

Jmaster

Roller Poster
Joey said:
I don't mean to come across that way Tomahawk, but I'm aware I sometimes do. I'm willing to have my opinion altered, though. I am OK with someone going nah I disagree, here's why... But people don't, instead resulting in poo-pooing anyone who defies convention WITHOUT actually explaining why they think otherwise, and that is frustrating.
Hey, I tried not to :) If it came across like I did, sorry.
Please keep in mind I'm new here, guys. This is my third freaking post, and the second one that isn't a f-up

Snoo

The Legend
Jmaster said:
Joey said:
Hey, I tried not to :) If it came across like I did, sorry.
Please keep in mind I'm new here, guys. This is my third freaking post, and the second one that isn't a f-up

Nothing wrong with having a differing opinion just don't be a dick about it. :D

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
On enthusiast opinion vs. general public, Joey you put it best as GP simply do not have "knowledge to pre-judge". Indeed, guests are taking roller coasters at face value. Has a big loop? Cool. Large first drop? Yeah, probably worth riding. The general public seeks the same elements and thrills enthusiasts do - we just have the benefit of also knowing what other models exist within the genre. Some are highlighting the notion that Valravn is a repeat of other coaster elements; but that indeed is an angle Cedar Point is going for. Tony Clark only just wrote this passage in the latest CP blog post:

OnPoint Blog said:
And in case you forgot, Valravn will be the 5th coaster at Cedar Point OVER 200 FEET TALL. Nowhere on Earth can you find five coasters over 200 feet tall in one place!

Now in terms of general public opinion directly reflecting favorite roller coasters... things get a bit difficult to gauge. The most ideal way to measure this would be polling of guests to rank their favorite roller coasters. Such data is unfortunately available, yet Cedar Point has released 2013 and 2014 ridership numbers (and hopefully 2015 will be underway):

2014:

1 GateKeeper 1,898,204
2 Millennium Force 1,721,918
3 Raptor 1,414,447
4 Magnum XL-200 1,355,861
5 Gemini 1,298,304
6 Maverick 1,153,896
7 Iron Dragon 1,092,242
8 Top Thrill Dragster 1,077,885
9 Mantis 925,667
10 Wicked Twister 794,264

2013:

1 GateKeeper 2,165,965
2 Millennium Force 1,680,269
3 Raptor 1,511,099
4 Gemini 1,322,320
5 Iron Dragon 1,231,881
6 Top Thrill Dragster 1,171,135
7 Maverick 1,077,276
8 Wicked Twister 791,941

While ridership is not the greatest way to gauge popularity of a roller coaster - "voting with your feet" is still a good metric to bear in mind.

Suffice it to say, roller coasters an enthusiast would call mediocre - Gatekeeper, Raptor - actually end up being the most popular rides in the park. Other factors play into this of course - such as Gatekeeper and Raptor being the first two immediate roller coasters upon entry to the park, and mammoth capacity of B&M trains; but it would be very difficult to call either roller coaster unsuccessful given such large rider numbers.

Now to Valravn specifically, I also agree with you Joey - Dive Machines seemed to hit their ceiling with Sheikra in terms of design, and of the 11 currently in existence, 5 are smaller, one drop-focused roller coasters. The remaining, larger Dive Machines? All Sheikra and Griffon clones. All of which begs the question, how did Cedar Fair land on adding a Dive Machine at their flagship park?

Well, a few things pretty well shown on Cedar Point additions:
1. Focus on capacity - Cedar Point is the second largest amusement park in North America, with 3.247 million attendance in 2014. (Canada's Wonderland had 3.546 million) Indeed, Cedar Point has been very capacity-minded of late, most famously with Windseeker; went with Mondial in the interest of landing more capacity than Funtime's tower swing offering, yet ran into major technical difficulties due to wind dynamics and electronic controllers. For capacity, there is no competition to B&M. Their roller coasters simply offer very large trains with easy-to-load restraints. And the dreaded pay lockers? Indeed, all the interest of expediting loading of passengers. (yes, you can argue the merit of charging for said lockers, but that's another discussion) Cedar Fair's brightest spot is on its ride operations, which should come as no surprise then on a preference for high capacity roller coasters.

This also means certain roller coaster offerings, such as Eurofighters, simply don't appear to register on the park's radar out of concern for rider numbers.

2. B&M has been a steady Cedar Fair supplier for 7 years - Since the debut of Behemoth in 2008, B&M has built 7 other roller coasters for Cedar Fair; the most of any other roller coaster provider for the park chain. It turns out Cedar Fair has found a lot of need for filling roller coaster lineup gaps, such as 200+ roller coasters.

3. Cedar Fair really doesn't like Intamin - Ever since the debacle of Shoot the Rapids, which still is not able to fully operate, Cedar Fair has been pretty well documented at having zero interest in future Intamin projects at this time. Again - B&M has been very busy filling in large steel coasters also offered by Intamin. Yet the technical and design shortfalls of Intamin across Shoot the Rapids, Intimidator 305, Top Thrill Dragster, Millennium Force, Wicked Twister, etc. seem to have simply been a deal breaker, or at last, a mantle that the new Matt Ouimet regime simply does not wish the carry...

4. No More Dick Kinzel, No More Risks - This could be purely anecdotal due to Matt Ouimet still being early into helming the Cedar Fair ship, but the park chain was indeed innovative and pushed the envelope... with another CEO. MF and TTD were both risky investments, Kinzel even expressed later regret on TTD - but ones that certainly paid off in popularity, ridership, etc. That all being said, Fury's entire design process would have occurred under Ouimet's care.

Rather, the design ethos of Cedar Fair has seemed to turn more to "sense of place", something I was able to talk more in-depth with Rob Decker, Cedar Fair VP of Planning and Design, during Gatekeeper's opening.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qimGo74uKCA[/youtube]​

Having laid all of this out, I'd anticipate Valravn to make it's mark similar to that of Mantis/Rougarou. It is a novelty at the end of the day, yet one that simply will not be as popular as inverts, gigas, etc. Given the ride's immediate proximity to the main park entrance, I would anticipate ridership to register in at #4, right behind Raptor.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: Cedar Point | Valravn | B&M Dive Machine

Thanks Hyde!

The throughput stats I'd dismiss though... The number one deciding factor for most guests when walking around a park is queue length, and most people simply won't get in line for anything long. And they do it to extremes. I've worked in a small park with limited ride selection and witnessed people not ride anything all day because the queues are too long. Those stats are how many people physically could ride, so the best people eaters and longest operating hours will win by default. It has nothing to do with actual popularity, unless measured on very quiet days only.

For all my criticism of CP, I'm being unfair in a big way. I complain endlessly about Merlin's capacity issues, about their neglect to even consider it when designing new attractions. The most important questions to ask are who is this new attraction going, how many people do we need to accommodate, how much money have we got and what space can we play with. Most parks neglect the first two points to shocking extremes, though it would seem Cedar Point really care about the throughput. That's evident from their operations, let alone hardware choices.

What I don't get is not so much the lack of non B&Ms, its the lack of exciting ones. The fact that there are so few Fury's is a question without answers. What leads to the design of some great great over something mediocre? In Valravn's case, the dive machine is a gimmick that hasn't evolved, maybe because it can't... But I'm not sure I believe that.

I just don't get what the ride is offering - its not a substantial lengthy unbroken experience like Raptor, but its not the punchy gimmick that is TTD. I've ridden Griffon a lot, and its such a dull lifeless thing that then repeats itself identically a second time. I do not get dive machines at all, and Griffons perpetually nonexistent queue, even on a busy day, is a fun fact to point ouuut.

Ben

CF Legend
The fact that TTD is so far down that ridership list just shows how **** annoying this park is.

Also not all the large Dive Machines are Sheikra and Griffon clones - Chimelong's is unique and the new one will be too. So really there's a Sheikra clone and that's it. So don't call them all Sheikra and Griffon clones. Griffon hasn't even been cloned!

This will be a great, solid ride. It might not be a number one but it's a **** huge Dive Machine, come on.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Come on Ben you pedantic fart, what Hyde meant is they are all the same layout in essence. They all do the same damn thing. They all drop and do an immelman. Drop and immelman. Drop and immelman.

They're basically clones. The lot of them.

Ben

CF Legend
Even if they were all clones (they aren't) there's TWO more large DMs other than Griffon and Sheikra. And they're spread out across the World.

That's not 'the lot of them' - you're making a point that they're repetitive when they're not. I'm not being pedantic, just correct. If someone points out something in an argument that is false it's not pedantry, it's correctness.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I know you like to keep reminding everyone you've been to Asia, but no one claimed there weren't others bar the Busch divers. People talk about those because more people have been on those as a point of reference. They are all VERY VERY similar, more similar than inverts are, more similar than even mega coasters are. Whether the Asian ones are better or not is irrelevent, they all do the same thing. They drop and immel. Hyde's use of the word "clone" is technically wrong, but from the context it's obvious that we're talking loosely and pointing out every time someone doesn't mention an Asian coaster is not noting when they're wrong, and it's a pattern on the forums. When someone IS wrong, like I was in the Mack spinner topic, that's great - educate, elaborate, contribute... Instead of being cryptic and expecting everyone to know what you're on about. But in this context, I think it's fairly obvious what was meant.

Ben

CF Legend
Please point out the part where I've said the Asian versions are better. I've not even mentioned that I've been on them and I knew there was differences before I even rode them.

But that's fine ignore my point about there being few enough of them spread out across enough of the world to make the argument of 'omg they're like the same' moot anyway.

How dare parks make good, solid business investments when you want something else.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Sorry Ben, it just comes across that way - as a derailment from discussion, because the point seems irrelevant to me. They are very, very similar, the fact there's some not identical but so damn close they may as well be doesn't change what I'm saying about Valravn being boring - because the boredom doesn't stem from there being so many that are near identical in ride experience, it comes from the fact (opinion?) that ride experience isn't very exciting. When Sheikra was announced, everyone was excited because we all collectively sort of wanted more from Oblivion... But when we rode it, most people agreed the bonus content wasn't very interesting. It doesn't just distract from the drop, its not just that without a tunnel the drop feels less intense either physically or mentally, it's that the immelmans aren't exciting. Fun, maybe, smooth and flowy, yes, and that doesn't mean bad... All I've ever said is that its unexciting and that I feel the public would rather have an exciting ride.

Which is why your final comment just misses the point completely - I'd rather have more Mavericks, yes, but I wouldn't rather have more Eurofighters, yet I still think they are more exciting ride experiences than the B&M divers, and more appropriate for most parks. Capacity is really the only legitimate issue.

What I don't get is why CP wanted a dive machine. Elsewhere, their appeal is in scale. Elsewhere, their vertical plummet a gimmick. CP has bigger, it has steep, it has imposing, it has flowy. Valravn adds nothing to CP, not only because it has no selling point, but because it won't be an exciting experience for CPs guests. I don't believe it is a solid investment, I believe its misguided in a lot of ways, lacking anything to draw guests in with marketing and lacking a memorable ride experience for those who ride it. Its just another coaster, just another forgettable ride in CP's ocean of them. That's their gimmick - having the most of any proper resort park, and people will continue to come for that reason, but not for Valravn.