What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It's in the post all: "ballast bag". To @Peter Immelmann's point, a more improvised water dummy than one with more body form/designed to fit within the restraints for regular testing. Something more akin to photo 1 than photo 2 below:

ZW-090_1200x1200_crop_center.jpg
Bart_4.jpg

Used balast bags a lot during my high rope climbing career days, and can affirm they are quite squiggly/easy to flop out if you don't have good, tight synch.

File under user error rather than a deeper, fundamental ride design error.

Can we also acknowledge: that train is cooking over that top hat!

Trax

Hyper Poster
Nah, we’re happy with our 2 dummies, I don’t think that they‘d need a squishy friend. Also, carrying 2 at the same time is annoying enough.

CaliAngel

Roller Poster
Not sure if this belongs here...but Cedar Fair has finally reached a settlement with the lady who got hit by the piece that flew off the train.

Seems like they are happy with what they received. Considering costs at $10 Mill for the rest of her life, I would assume Cedar Fair went above that.

CaliAngel

Roller Poster
I hate that blank ugly wall between the loading dock and the launch track, because now you can't see riders get on the train.

Why couldn't they make it a chain link fence or something see through?

Watching guests anticipation while strapping into the ride was great to see from the midway, and also you won't be able to see trains zooming by during their circuit while waiting to board. Definitely a lost opportunity IMO.

Snoo

The Legend
I hate that blank ugly wall between the loading dock and the launch track, because now you can't see riders get on the train.

Why couldn't they make it a chain link fence or something see through?

Watching guests anticipation while strapping into the ride was great to see from the midway, and also you won't be able to see trains zooming by during their circuit while waiting to board. Definitely a lost opportunity IMO.

It might have been that injured woman that caused the ride to close and be redesigned. :)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Love Cedar Point doubling down on their locker policy in the new ride safety writeup, especially saying shared lockers were "not possible": https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/2024/top-thrill-2-rider-safety-guidelines

Working with the manufacturer’s recommendations, Top Thrill 2’s rider safety guidelines were revised after initial testing, resulting in our strict policy of loose articles not being permitted past the ride’s entrance.

Due to the later revision, the integration of lockers into the queue, similar to those at Steel Vengeance, was not possible. We encourage riders to leave any loose articles with a non-rider. If you wish to rent a locker, they will be near the entrance for a nominal fee.

davidm

Strata Poster
^^ and also;
Riders are not permitted to utilize waist packs, zippered pockets or pockets that fasten to store their loose items – they must be left with a non-rider or in a locker. There are no loose article bins on the station platform.
I remember when going to amusement parks was fun not faff :(

oriolat2

Giga Poster
So you keep a ride closed for YEARS to be reimagined and you didn't have time to think about locker placement to avoid turning your new ride into an upcharge attraction?

Sure, Jane.

Wait for this to backfire.

Will

Strata Poster
^^ and also;

I remember when going to amusement parks was fun not faff :(
Oh, bloody hell...

Assuming this is strictly enforced(?) this is FLY levels of PitA...

(And if they think I'm taking my glasses off before joining the queue, they can **** right off.)

RcTmix

Mega Poster
^Glasses with a strap are allowed.

As for the locker policy, yeah who could have POSSIBLY foreseen the need to have a strict loose articles policy given the TTD history. Not planning for free lockers was either a deliberate choice or an embarrassing oversight. Either way, shame on them.

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
I guess I'm in the minority here and maybe I've come to expect this but I don't mind paying for a locker, especially when I can move it from ride to ride. It's actually quite freeing not worrying about my phone, keys, etc... I guess I'm just more willing to pay for the convenience than anything.

I do agree that lockers should be free, as they are at Universal. But since it's something that will most likely never happen I just go with it.

As for the shoes thing... that does seem a little over the top but there must be enough moments of weightlessness where there is concern flip flops/sandals could fly off someone's feet. That should have been designed into the ride so people could get their footwear after the ride rather than forcing people to wear a specific type of shoe in order to even get in line for the ride.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I guess I'm in the minority here and maybe I've come to expect this but I don't mind paying for a locker, especially when I can move it from ride to ride. It's actually quite freeing not worrying about my phone, keys, etc... I guess I'm just more willing to pay for the convenience than anything.

I do agree that lockers should be free, as they are at Universal. But since it's something that will most likely never happen I just go with it.

As for the shoes thing... that does seem a little over the top but there must be enough moments of weightlessness where there is concern flip flops/sandals could fly off someone's feet. That should have been designed into the ride so people could get their footwear after the ride rather than forcing people to wear a specific type of shoe in order to even get in line for the ride.
Agreed overall, and I'm realizing I may have already assumed lockers would be pay-for when they announced a few weeks back there would be no storage space within the TT2 infield. While I'd like to think this is more an oversight (e.g. Steel Vengeance too debuted with pay-for lockers, which eventually received in-station/in-queue locker storage in subsequent years), it's still an obvious gaff having had years to plan this retrofit and lay blame at "later revision" of layout.

We unfortunately have been desensitized to requirement of pay-for lockers (cue SFGAdv) as a society, and while I know coaster enthusiasts are hoping for a certain Les Miserable-style battalion to form of unhappy guests rising up against the tyrannic bourgeoise - I fear this will mostly be an annoying grumble from park goers as they still cough up their $5 locker fee. Here's hoping CP rights the wrong (as requiring pay-for lockers for any guest experience once in the park is always wrong) in subsequent years. 🙏