What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It turns out Cedar Point finally diverted their webcam to TT2 view during the latest passholder preview event. So of course coaster enthusiasts are gonna enthusiast - and make dispatch timing spreadsheets!

1714397698182.png

1714397707827.png

For funsies, I calculated what an actual representative sample of data would be. That is: how many hours of operation is statistically significant enough to draw an inferred trend from? Assuming a very conservative 9-5 business hours of operation (CP operates within a 10-8/10-10 window, so even more hours) across roughly 6 months of operation - you get 4382 hours). At 95% confidence interval, that equates to 354 hours of operation, or roughly 2 months of observation.

On the whole it wouldn't be outside the realm of plausibility to have some tech/programming/ride operation tweaks that could lead to a more consistent dispatch timing as the coaster gets dialed in.

It appears webcam 2 is our main "TT2" shot (active shot link below):
cedar2.jpg

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
^ a nice thorough review, and seemingly pretty objective.

I strongly suspect I'm gonna like it a lot too.

That old hydraulic blast was epic, but sign me up for a considerably longer, far more complete ride experience.

If this thing can remain reasonably reliable, then hats off to ya, Zamperla!

CaliAngel

Roller Poster
A promising review…!

Hey, thanks for sharing. Really appreciated the in-depth, cut-to-the-chase review.

Not surprised about the roughness of the ride...you can just see it from the off ride videos. Really wish that was something they would have considered in designing the trains...especially considering it's all pretty much just straight track. I would guess the higher center of gravity on the trains is probably a cause of this, and also, probably the result of the Zamperla installed track.

Only other criticism I have is the first forward launch. First, I wish it was a lot more jumpy, instead of gradual. Think Superman The Escape, how it just jets off so quickly. Second, I just wish it launched faster so you went higher up the top hat before the rollback, I think it would have added a little bit more.

Nonetheless, I am glad this ride is getting another dose of life, it seems like it will be a success with the public, and I definitely look forward to riding.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Fwiw it’s worth, I’ve now heard somewhere between a dozen and twenty reviews, and nearly all of them are saying TT2 is better than TTD (something I definitely hadn’t expected before opening). Haven’t heard anyone say it wasn’t phenomenal — even if some did have nitpicks.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Fwiw it’s worth, I’ve now heard somewhere between a dozen and twenty reviews, and nearly all of them are saying TT2 is better than TTD (something I definitely hadn’t expected before opening). Haven’t heard anyone say it wasn’t phenomenal — even if some did have nitpicks.

Ditto - this is now, probably, my most anticipated cred. Super hyped to get out there at some point!

Will

Strata Poster
Really not my favourite ride type, though I figure it'll be quite an experience - but this is one of the first coasters I remember seeing on TV and going 'I've got to get out there and ride this some day' so I've been watching this with more excitement than I usually have for a construction topic and I'm pleased to see the reviews.

It's no Voltron though 🤣

Ollie

CF Legend
but this is one of the first coasters I remember seeing on TV and going 'I've got to get out there and ride this some day'
Was it that American show with the top ten thrill rides? Also had Alepngeist, Volcano Blast Coaster, and Buzzsaw Falls with Top Thrill being number one shortly after it opened?

InvertsAreMyJam

Mega Poster
I guess my one “nitpick” is that the loading times are going to be brutal. Look at Ice Breaker. Although these two coasters are very different, they share a similar element: the backwards and forward launches with a spike. Because of this one element, the wait times can get insane on Ice Breaker. I was there on a quiet day and the wait was 45 minutes! There were barely any people in the line. It’s crazy. I predict it’s going to be similar for TT2. On summer days…oof. The waits are going to get ludicrous on this coaster.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Just capped off my trip report of TT2! https://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/top-thrill-2-baby-im-ready-to-go-again.46883/

Overall some quick hits:
  • What we give up on TTD (fast acceleration) is traded for new elements and feature on TT2 (sustained speed, better airtime, longer ride). Add on higher chance of ride reliability and other quality-of-life improvements, and it's better than the predecessor.
  • Ride queue held steady at 2-2.5 hours throughout the entire opening day; gives promise of ability to handle wait times through solid dispatch.
  • Locker system is fine; improvements will be welcomed but $5 per 3 hours is still cheaper than other parks that require lockers.
  • Queue got a massive shade upgrade, which you'll be grateful for in high summer heat.
  • Train design is mint, especially in ditching seat belts and swapping for OTSR.
  • Ride is smooth all things considered (code speak for wind resistance at 120 MPH means everything is bopping around ;) )
Also, photos!

IMG_6749.jpegIMG_6756.jpegIMG_6746.jpegIMG_6761.jpegIMG_6763.jpegIMG_6778.jpegIMG_6741.jpeg

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
So update, apparently TT2 was struggling yesterday against 20-30 MPH gusting headwinds, with many, many rollbacks counted.

The greatest mistake of Top Thrill was building it to face westward (weather usually blows from west/southwest direction at this point), and we would eventually run into this moment to see how high-wind-worthy TT2 is. As reference, Gatekeeper, Sky Ride, Windseeker, and a few other rides are also wind sensitive.

Will be curious to see if there's any adjustment needed/if TT2 remains persnickety on higher wind gust days!