What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Not sure one can fully judge by the POV, but doesn't it look relatively shaky even in the new track sections? Was actually hoping the new trains would do a better job than the (aged) original ones but that's not obvious at all from what you see. Curious to hear the first reports on its smoothness after opening.
Overall wouldn't read too much into that, as it could be a bad mount point or simple on-ride jostle that isn't noticeable from the rider seat. (See the TTD POV below) Or at the very least... still smoother than Kingda Ka. :p

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
As long as the rattle isn't as bad as it is on Ka then I'll be happy. I always assumed the reason TTD was a smoother ride was due to the restraints (lap bar vs. over the shoulder). The mechanics for the restraint below the seat vs. at your head has to play a roll since the weight distribution at those high speeds will be different.

If I'm completely wrong please let me know.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
To be honest, after the reliability getting worse and the accident their only other option was probably demolition.
From what I understand that's exactly it. After the last accident the cost of insuring the ride went up considerably and along with the decreasing reliability it was either a refurb like this or lose the ride completely.

The travesty would have been removing it completely and not doing this to it.

CaliAngel

Roller Poster
Not sure one can fully judge by the POV, but doesn't it look relatively shaky even in the new track sections?

I definitely noticed this before, you can see it during the off ride footage. Certainly a bit of a "shuffle" left and right similar to, dare I say, Kingda Ka? Especially on the final forward launch.

I really wonder if the trains being more "top heavy" due to the design of the trains and restraint assembly has something to do with it, as the original trains had all the mechanics fairly low and closer to the bottom of the train.

One thing to keep in mind however, is because of the lap-bars as opposed to the over-the-shoulder-restraints, there won't be any headbanging, so this will probably be much less of a complaint or concern amongst riders.

Dar

Hyper Poster
I imagine the whole 420ft in the air part attracts a lot riders, with the launch just being the way to get there :p

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I don’t get it lol
He's saying that Kingda Ka needs demolishing... Or to be more precise, that demolition of Kingda Ka would be preferable to removing KK's hydraulic launch.

On a serious note... Why is KK still rocking those old trains / restraints? I wonder if this will push them to refurbish the ride and add new trains with better restraints... 🤞

FogZog

Mega Poster
He's saying that Kingda Ka needs demolishing... Or to be more precise, that demolition of Kingda Ka would be preferable to removing KK's hydraulic launch.

On a serious note... Why is KK still rocking those old trains / restraints? I wonder if this will push them to refurbish the ride and add new trains with better restraints... 🤞
Oh I thought people liked kingda ka

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Oh I thought people liked kingda ka
I think people prefer, or preferred, TTD... They may end up preferring TT2 too...

But I don't really know, I haven't ridden either... But I loved Red Force, and I know I absolutely hate those old Intamin OTS restraints, so no doubt would have been team TTD.

spicy

Giga Poster
I never rode the original TTD either and pretty skeptical when Zamperla was announced as doing this refurb but after watching this from 1 minute this is going to be pretty awesome, how can it not be.

The first launch looked pretty lacklustre but the backwards launch into the spike and final launch looked amazing.

I can imagine the backwards launch into the spike feeling similar to Superman: Escape from Krypton but then your back into an insane 3rd launch and 420ft top hat.

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
Color me optimistic on having more attraction versus a 16 second trick shot. On the whole I've found I generally prefer Aceelerators with longer layouts - Formula Rossa doesn't get the nod over TTD because it's faster, but because it's longer and has a far greater sense of speed. That is possibly what K'm most intrigued by - we're going to sitting at high speeds, a lot longer, than with TTD.

Yeah, a much more complete ride experience of moving at speed for ~55 seconds vs. the old 16 second mega-blast.

I completely understand the nostalgia for that old face-melting hydraulic launch, but I'm utterly incapable of wrapping my mind around the logic of why removing the ride entirely would've been the better option here.

Last edited: