What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

Archie

Mega Poster
An “old fashioned” rollback is still possible. Like.. it could still not make it over if it doesn’t get enough speed for some reason.
in this case what happens, does the train fly back into the station because the switch track will have changed back?

owenjohn

Roller Poster
in this case what happens, does the train fly back into the station because the switch track will have changed back?
Maybe the station and main track will have track on them @ the same time, when it moves to the right the main track will also move to the right. The train can then move forward into launch position, and then the track switches back so the station and main track are back in position prior to launch!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I mean the answer is obvious...

1690990273777.png

In general, in the event of a rollback on third rollback, the most likely fallback design is the train will reset back at original launch position, and restart the launch sequence. That being said, the likelihood for this type of rollback is significantly slim - the best chance (which @Snoo and I have experienced on Maverick) is a power cut to the LSM, essentially powering down the launch and the train slowing down/rolling back down the launch track.

If there were the need, the switch track could be theoretically flipped and the train rolled all the way back into the station (and bump the loading/unloading trains back a block), but that's usually reserved for clear/specific reasons for unload, such as an inbound thunderstorm or maintenance downtime that would make running the launch sequence unsafe.

Christian

Hyper Poster
I'll be intrigued to see how capacity looks for this tbh- CP gets real busy so not sure how it'll handle the crowds.
Is the three train prediction actually a thing.... because I can't imagine how it could be

With three trains CP could pretty much always have a train ready to go and I think the station will be long enough to accommodate two trains. Thereby ensuring that a train is always on the launch track and utilizing the ride to the fullest.

cookie

Giga Poster
Looks like the height restriction isn’t getting lowered unlike what the Zamperla leak said, since their updated page still lists it as 52 inches.

About the ride

• Total Track Length: 1043 meters (3422 feet)
  • Maximum height: 128 meters (420 feet)
  • Number of Trains: 3
  • Vehicles per-Train: 5
  • Passengers per-Train: 20
  • Height Restriction: 132 cm (52 in) minimum

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
This looks fun! I can imagine that a swing launch on that scale could be spectacular!

Now the question is; would Top Thrill 2 be a new credit? I’m unsure myself…
I go by RCDB logic, and thus am considering it just TTD but modified a bit (So not a new cred)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
For “new cred” convo, there’s the obvious question: was a significant portion of track modified?

That’s a “maybe” for TT2’s case, as we have a brand new spike track, but original track that was up-fitted with new LSM track.

But I also add a second qualified question: is the ride a fundamentally different experience? This helps address moments like the Incredible Hulk retracking, where the track was 100% replaced and 0% new experience. This retrofit is far more significant than adding a simple element or tweaking launch settings - so it’s a “yes” from me.

Adding it all up, I consider it a fundamentally new cred, distinctively different than its predecessor.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'll entertain the debate for Hulk or Nemesis retracking, but this is a fundamentally new and different coaster. It's like saying Phantoms Revenge wouldn't be a new cred. Of course it is.

Tempted to make claiming otherwise a bannable offence, to be honest.

Matt N

CF Legend
I mostly agree with RCDB’s logic on retracks; I don’t consider new Hulk to be a separate credit to old Hulk, and I don’t consider new Nemesis to be a separate credit to old Nemesis. I’m not even sure I’d consider something like CanCan Coaster to be a separate credit from Eurosat.

One notable exception, however, is that I personally disagree with them on things like Phantom’s Revenge and Powder Keg.

RCDB says that Phantom’s Revenge is the same credit as Steel Phantom and that Powder Keg is the same credit as Buzz Saw Falls, but I’d definitely consider those new credits myself, as the ride experience is totally different.

By that token, I’m tempted to err towards Top Thrill 2 being a new credit, as the hydraulic launch becoming a swing launch is a pretty significant change.

Efan

Mega Poster
Should Powder Keg or Phantom's Revenge be considered new credits (yes, obviously) then TT2 should be considered a new credit - some portion of track being replaced/added to, some portion being kept, and (as @Hyde states) a fundamentally different ride experience.

emoo

Hyper Poster
RCDB says that Phantom’s Revenge is the same credit as Steel Phantom and that Powder Keg is the same credit as Buzz Saw Falls, but I’d definitely consider those new credits myself, as the ride experience is totally different.
It puts Dodonpa & Do-Dodonpa together too yet Thorpes Flying Fish (among countless others) have a separate entry just for being moved a little. RCDB is an invaluable website but I think we all have our own thoughts on some details.

SimonProD

Mega Poster
With three trains CP could pretty much always have a train ready to go and I think the station will be long enough to accommodate two trains. Thereby ensuring that a train is always on the launch track and utilizing the ride to the fullest.

Do you really think Cedar Fair can operate 3 trains without stacking? I greatly doubt it. Just been to Canada's Wonderland lately and again US/Canada operations are - well - very slow. With all their 'thumbs up' and japping non-intelligable into the speakers the trains always stacked - and that on way longer coasters. The guys from Olympia Looping could do this, maybe also Disney - but not CP.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Do you really think Cedar Fair can operate 3 trains without stacking?
At least at opening & hopefully beyond just the first season, absolutely yes. Put the best crew on this ride, with at least 4 operators on the platform, and let them cook. These trains should be very easy to load, which will help.

That said, perfect, zero-stacking-ever operations are pretty much unattainable anywhere. So I expect that while Train 1 is on the swing launch and once Train 2 is loaded, it will be dispatched to that holding block, waiting for the train to clear the top hat. It should be capable of this, but the inevitable "operational hiccup" (large rider, backpack/loose article in line, etc.) will always throw a wrench in operations.