What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
From a marketing perspective, 420 ft is amazing. Ohio is one of the next states likely to get recreational cannabis legalized 😎

TTD 2.0 - Get Real High, Real Fast
TTD 2.0 - It’s Always 420 On This Ride
TTD 2.0 - You’ve Never Been *This* High Before
Weed puns were obviously the driver here. #JustBlaze

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
Trying not to enter conspiracy theory territory too much, but there is the possibility the Saudis have 'come to an agreement' with CP/Zamperla to stop them from breaking the height record. I don't think that's too unimaginable
you took the ****ing ball and run wayyyy past just territory lmao

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Exclusivity deals between a park & ride manufacturer are a thing that can happen (ex. If Cedar Point put in a 500ft spike, they could "buy" a guarantee that Zamperla wouldn't retrofit Kingda Ka and reset the height record until [X] amount of years later) at the right price; probably an insane amount of money, as the mfr would be prevented from a double-digit million-dollar sale. No idea if CP/Zamp and SFQ/Intamin would all agree on something like that, but I'd doubt it.

As for Qiddiya specifically, I don't see a reason anyone there would've been worried that TT2 would break any real meaningful record. Even if they did break 500' on it, Qiddiya would have the record right back within a year.

Archie

Mega Poster
just wondering something I'm not sure has been considered, is this the worlds fastest backwards moment on a roller coaster?
If that's the case its still a new record, of sorts

MagicMountainFan

Roller Poster
I personally think that while this isn't breaking any records, if this is more reliable than dragster was and Zamperla gets it right then i'll be happy. The only thing at this point that I care about is that Zamperla have truly done their homework on building a 420 foot launch coaster.

Archie

Mega Poster
I personally think that while this isn't breaking any records, if this is more reliable than dragster was and Zamperla gets it right then i'll be happy. The only thing at this point that I care about is that Zamperla have truly done their homework on building a 420 foot launch coaster.
considering this is zamperla's biggest project, i'm sure that they will be pulling out all the stops to make sure this is the best it can be because their reputation and relationship with cedar fair is at stake

MagicMountainFan

Roller Poster
considering this is zamperla's biggest project, i'm sure that they will be pulling out all the stops to make sure this is the best it can be because their reputation and relationship with cedar fair is at stake
Well obviously they've done their research for years to prepare for this, but I still feel that hiring Intamin who designed the ride seems to be the better option even with their past reliability issues, as they have invested in making their rides much more reliable. This is still Zamperla after all...

Fiender

Mega Poster
If this is a notable failure in any way, I think it will be a long, long time before any major chain will give them another chance.
It also seems to me that this project doesn't fully demonstrate that they can build+design quality thrill coasters of their own. It's a spike, a launch, and a switch track. That tells us nothing about their potential layouts or how their trains would handle inversions.

I'm a bit surprised that Top Thrill 2 wasn't just a placeholder name.

I just kind of wish that they'd added something new as well as the spike. Like an airtime hill launch or something. This whole time I've been thinking that they should have added a massive vertical loop after the top hat. I'm not sure how feasible that would have been but it could have delivered some nice hangtime and then they could have claimed the world's largest loop or tallest inversion or something.

But I like the train design (probably because of how similar it is to the old one) and to be honest, I think I prefer this new colour scheme.

When this finally opens, I can see people liking this more than we'd think.

Last edited:

Heth

Mega Poster
I am surprised that so many are complaining that it's just the spike, or that the spike is not 500ft tall.

I think it looks really cool!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Some nice concept renderings of the new digs:

cp-24-php-cta-3.jpg
cp-24-php-cta-2.jpg
cp-24-php-large-banner-desktop.jpgcp-24-php-cta-1.jpg

Color me optimistic on it all. While I was hoping for more major modification, a 420 foot back spike is too juicy to not get excited for. I will be curious on launch speeds and how that will compare to the original 0-120 MPH; overall expecting something quite different, with it's own new spin.

Cascade

Roller Poster
Does it has an unloading platform? I heard it will have a seperate station but the image doesn't show that.