What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

Peter Immelmann

Mega Poster
Maybe they kept the hight record for the next iteration, top thrill three ;D hence the name... Anyway, I actually like colors as well. Just the white an grey looked a bit blunt but now it works out. Trains also look great. Regardarding the height of the spike: As much as I would have thought beating Kingda would have made a lot of sense from a marketing perspective, I do actually think the overall ride experience is better this way. Now the third launch actually accelerates the train considerably. As said in an earlier post, with a 500ft spike that launch would have been there to rather mitigate speed loss due to friction and hence would have felt pretty dull. But this way it's actually a proper launch. Still a bit surprised to see the teaser being presented in a relatively modest fashion in comparison with "smoke the competition" etc

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
My initial reactions to this are:
  • I think the "you'll get a rollback" is true and all, but the 'good' rollbacks where when it only just didn't clear the crest and you got to some backwards down the whole drop. Dunno if the rendering is truly accurate, but it made it look like it only just clears the pull out. So it's not really much of a rollback, so not really that exciting.
  • Whilst I think this is going to be a bit of a weak experience overall compared to the original, I do think it's fantastic they're keeping this beast alive in some way. I just hope Zamperla can pull it off.

opivy028

Mega Poster
  • I think the "you'll get a rollback" is true and all, but the 'good' rollbacks where when it only just didn't clear the crest and you got to some backwards down the whole drop. Dunno if the rendering is truly accurate, but it made it look like it only just clears the pull out. So it's not really much of a rollback, so not really that exciting.
  • Whilst I think this is going to be a bit of a weak experience overall compared to the original, I do think it's fantastic they're keeping this beast alive in some way. I just hope Zamperla can pull it off.
Yeah, 74 mph is what a lot of hyper coasters just over the 200ft drop mark make speed-wise, so that momentum should only take the train around halfway up the top hat

smiffy9373

Roller Poster
Quite surprised to notice from the images that the queue line remains in the same place.
The name and theme is a bit lame (who are you racing?).
Ride looks good though.

Sent from my SM-T545 using Tapatalk

spicy

Giga Poster
From a marketing perspective, 420 ft is amazing. Ohio is one of the next states likely to get recreational cannabis legalized 😎

TTD 2.0 - Get Real High, Real Fast
TTD 2.0 - It’s Always 420 On This Ride
TTD 2.0 - You’ve Never Been *This* High Before

😂

New TTD 2.0 soundtrack, Notorious B.I.G - Let's Ride & Get High ?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Correct on these fronts. Watching through b-roll of the ride, some other takeaways:
  • First launch generally goes to the top of the Top Hat pullout.
  • Back spike doesn't have full train travel distance - I'll best guess it's 380-400 ft. of total height.
  • Train starts launch from a stand still.
  • Train load/unload looks like it will happen under the main canopy (jumping back to earlier convo), and not need to use the turnaround for unload. Unsure where the exit ramp will go, but would imagine something to the effect of walking out by way of the original photo booth.
  • The spoiler is back! There's a cute F1-inspired spoiler on the back of the trains.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Exit path should be this enclosed box:
1690904712225.png

Incredibly interested to see how the station gates look here. Not a lot of room on that new platform, especially with the steel structure of the canopy jutting out so far out:

1690905205782.png

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
So many pro's, one meh, and one big matzah ball of a con (that we all knew anyway):

Pros:
- first and foremost, a light years better outcome than sending the whole damn thing to the scrap heap
- LSM launch should prove FAR more reliable than the old incredibly temperamental hydraulic launch system
- a considerably longer ride experience
- partial rollback every ride! (I never got a rollback on the original)
- another massive new peak on the CP skyline
- I love the new color scheme (I may be in the minority, but I always thought original was a bit too garish/loud)
- the new trains look dope

Meh:
- the new name is beyond boring. Oh well.

Matzah ball:
- so long face-melting hydraulic launch. You were a ton of fun for us thoosies, but nothing but a GIANT decades-long pain in the ass for CP. You were too powerful for your own good.

Now let's all hope Zamperla is up to task here and can deliver on this.

codeman94

Mega Poster
I think my main concern is the first launch being underwhelming.

The first launch used to to be so unbelievably amazing. The anticipation of it all was sick. And now—- you have all of that runway to get to only the same speed as Maverick? Maverick’s launch is fine because it’s a small ride, and it’s in a tunnel, and it’s dark… but the scale of TT2 is so much bigger that I think it will seem slower than it is.

My hope is that after ride testing, they realize the first launch is too slow, and crank it up so that the train goes higher up the top hat. It will also help the next launches because they won’t have to work as hard.

Last edited:

vaugc002

Hyper Poster
I'll be intrigued to see how capacity looks for this tbh- CP gets real busy so not sure how it'll handle the crowds.
Is the three train prediction actually a thing.... because I can't imagine how it could be

smiffy9373

Roller Poster
Could this also be the fastest backwards on a coaster?
Superman at SFMM is 100mph backwards but TT2 will be 101mph.
Trying to think of any other coasters that go fast backwards.

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

FogZog

Mega Poster
So many pro's, one meh, and one big matzah ball of a con (that we all knew anyway):

Pros:
- first and foremost, a light years better outcome than sending the whole damn thing to the scrap heap
- LSM launch should prove FAR more reliable than the old incredibly temperamental hydraulic launch system
- a considerably longer ride experience
- partial rollback every ride! (I never got a rollback on the original)
- another massive new peak on the CP skyline
- I love the new color scheme (I may be in the minority, but I always thought original was a bit too garish/loud)
- the new trains look dope

Meh:
- the new name is beyond boring. Oh well.

Matzah ball:
- so long face-melting hydraulic launch. You were a ton of fun for us thoosies, but nothing but a GIANT decades-long pain in the ass for CP. You were too powerful for your own good.

Now let's all hope Zamperla is up to task here and can deliver on this.
I’m really sad about the disappearance of hydraulic launches to be honest 🥲

codeman94

Mega Poster
An “old fashioned” rollback is still possible. Like.. it could still not make it over if it doesn’t get enough speed for some reason.