What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

CaliAngel

Roller Poster
^^Agreed about the paint.

Considering the color scheme it had before, the plain white is definitely lacking the red and yellow "pop" the ride originally had.

I can tell already I will most likely forever miss the original color scheme, I thought it was bad ass.

Might be the stupidest question on earth, but if the spike were to be 500 feet, surely it would be too fast going over the 420ft top hat? Especially considering the swing launch would speed it up after the drop? Obviously the train won't be 500 feet in the air but considering how slow the train has to make it over the top hat then it doesn't make much sense to me.

So with the magnetic launches, even if the train were to go 1000 feet on the rear spike, they could control the speed of the train on the front swing before it goes over the top hat. Definitely an advantage to the magnetic launches, they can slow or speed up the train however much they need to on the front swing, so it goes a safe speed over the spike.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
So with the magnetic launches, even if the train were to go 1000 feet on the rear spike, they could control the speed of the train on the front swing before it goes over the top hat. Definitely an advantage to the magnetic launches, they can slow or speed up the train however much they need to on the front swing, so it goes a safe speed over the spike.
A quick point of clarification: this is the case with LSM launches, versus earlier LIM launch design. For LIM launches, they are often a very binary operation - on or off. And often weren't designed to factor in train velocity for tempering launch speed. Quite literally, the entire LIM launch array is turned on, train enters from either side, and that entry direction is (obviously) accelerated.

LSM has more techno wizardry up it's sleeve, essentially turning on individual fin array as the train progresses through the launch, which in part requires/allows for train location and speed to be calculated (ensuring proper fins are turned on at correct timing). This allows far greater launch control (and reduced need for trim brakes), and also lets the train be held at a moderated speed if it reaches target speed mid-launch - such as Maverick or Disneyland Paris' RnR lift launch.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Your drawing is almost certainly what will happen. Except the "inner" circle is the supports for the track, and the "outer" circle is [probably] the supports for the catwalks. You can see these here, where there isn't an obvious track connection plate, rather this little "shelf":
1690400570540.png
Weird way to do it, but it's definitely not for track.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Looking at track, switch locations, I made this sketch. What would the inner circle track be? Is the braking run going to unload above the load?View attachment 25915
To @MLDesigns' point - I would expect the load/unload process to be the same as before, with two-train "shotgun" loading under the canopy and two-train unload on the turn. This also let's two-train dispatch stage nicely, where you can have one train on launch and one pre-staged just out of the station (again, just as staging worked before). This all to also say, wouldn't be surprised if train storage was also infield, alongside the switch track.

Appreciate the mock up! It's a bummer that not much "new" has come into being beyond the swing launch, but glad TTD will come to see the light of day once more!

opivy028

Mega Poster
To @MLDesigns' point - I would expect the load/unload process to be the same as before, with two-train "shotgun" loading under the canopy and two-train unload on the turn. This also let's two-train dispatch stage nicely, where you can have one train on launch and one pre-staged just out of the station (again, just as staging worked before). This all to also say, wouldn't be surprised if train storage was also infield, alongside the switch track.

Appreciate the mock up! It's a bummer that not much "new" has come into being beyond the swing launch, but glad TTD will come to see the light of day once more!
Personally, a swing launch that massive and that speedy sounds like incredible fun

Qsilverrdc

Roller Poster
I looked at some parts in the storage yard. They could go together this way, but just a thought.
There are quite a few mysterious parts. Massive columns that look to be differing lengths...
If this is close then the spike drop will just be clearing the station roof.. at 80mph+ dropping very close to ground level or just below the platform.
That will get the hands down.. lol.
sketch1690463375028.png

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
I was just doing that last night! Very fun puzzling this together.

I think this piece will complete the triangle for the two footers on the station side of Iron Dragon, and then will bridge over Iron Dragon connecting to the spike itself.
1690465005844.png
Something like this:
1690465219828.png

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Personally, a swing launch that massive and that speedy sounds like incredible fun
Yes but acceleration will most likely be down - LSM is amazing launch technology, but will always be "slower" than hydraulic and pneumatic launches when it comes to acceleration.
Has anyone figured out where the queue line will be going?
Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if the queue remains in the infield, albeit at a more removed distance from the track. The general populous doesn't really know origin of TTD's closure, and the ride will need to be certified to the same level of safety as always - that is to say, moving queue for the sake of perceived pieces-falling-off-of-the-ride risk is a little counter-intuitive; that's why the ride has undergone a 2 year refurb!

But, if the queue were not infield, I could see a possible angle of having some wrapping queue where the lockers and entrance now stand, passing briefly through the infield, and creating new queue on the backside of TTD, along pathway currently used for the Blood on the Bayou haunt. You do need to work out a queue that can hold a 3-4 hour wait level crowd however, which TTD was great at packing them in for.