What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

HandsUpPantsDown

Roller Poster
Hyper-analysis time!

A friend of mine did some measurements of the footer locations using Blender, and calculated that the triangle footer arrangement is around 25.6m wide and 11m deep.
View attachment 24858

Using that info, I did a few mockups of potential spike heights of 300ft 400ft, and 500ft:
View attachment 24855

Based on the spacing of the footers & looking at these side by side, I personally feel that the 500ft spike structure seems to make the most sense with how wide the rearmost footers are spaced. (I also did the same double-angle rear column design that the tophat structure does, I personally think it looks the best haha.)

And lastly, to get an idea of the overall operations & everything of the ride running, I made a recreation using the 400ft spike:
View attachment 24860
In this version, the stats are:
-3, 20-passenger trains
-55 trains/hour = 1100 theoretical riders/hour (realistically 800-1000, factoring operational hiccups)
Launch 1: 0 to 78mph - 13 seconds from launch to forward stall (Point #1)
Launch 2: 71 to 106mph - 16 seconds from Point #1 to Point #2
Launch 3: 99 to 115mph - 20 seconds from Point #2 to Point #3, where the track switch can reset for the loaded train coming from the station.

Mainly wanted to type this last section to prove that the capacity has the potential to NOT be sacrificed for the spike & swing launch.

TLDR: Spike potentially BIG, operations potentially not ass. Thanks for reading!

The recent ElToroRyan video released speculates that the coding 'HP' used for the project could stand for 'High Point' and suggests CP will push to take the world record from KK. I was a little sceptical about Zamperla's involvement when he first announced it, but that seems to have come true, which makes me fairly confident that he has a man on the inside.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I dunno man, does anyone else think that new section of track looks awfully thin and flimsy to be handling coaster trains travelling at 120+mph? Yeah I know it's a straight section of track so won't be subjected to any bendy forces or laterals but even so... you'd think they'd at least make it look sturdy and robust.
Looks sh*t.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I dunno man, does anyone else think that new section of track looks awfully thin and flimsy to be handling coaster trains travelling at 120+mph?
Yeah, and I've seen this mentioned elsewhere too....but it's literally how Dragster ended previously, haha.

Looks sh*t.
Sure does

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230712_073608_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230712_073608_Samsung Internet.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 95

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Pretty sure it's the original track, that was shipped to Zamperla for them to paint it white and install their brakes on. Same with the launch track.

Project "High Point" sure sounds like it'll be a sizeable spike. I was assuming it'd be in the 300-400' range, but that may indicate they're going for something there.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
For the brake run track - do we have any hard evidence it is indeed new track? Indeed, TTD (and MF) come from the early Intamin track design era where track was supported to crap, rather than having the newer spline design.

1689178753901.png

As they never removed the brake run supports, it would partly make sense to stick with the original track and/or fabricate track to the same original parameter.

Efan

Mega Poster
Might be the stupidest question on earth, but if the spike were to be 500 feet, surely it would be too fast going over the 420ft top hat? Especially considering the swing launch would speed it up after the drop? Obviously the train won't be 500 feet in the air but considering how slow the train has to make it over the top hat then it doesn't make much sense to me.

cookie

Giga Poster
The recent ElToroRyan video released speculates that the coding 'HP' used for the project could stand for 'High Point' and suggests CP will push to take the world record from KK. I was a little sceptical about Zamperla's involvement when he first announced it, but that seems to have come true, which makes me fairly confident that he has a man on the inside.

FTR, Ryan makes it clear in the video that this part is entirely speculation and theorizing from his end and it’s not anything his source claims beyond the project name. ”High Point” could very well be a weed joke given TTD’s height for all we know.

Efteldingus

Mega Poster
Might be the stupidest question on earth, but if the spike were to be 500 feet, surely it would be too fast going over the 420ft top hat? Especially considering the swing launch would speed it up after the drop? Obviously the train won't be 500 feet in the air but considering how slow the train has to make it over the top hat then it doesn't make much sense to me.
Just trim the crap out of it going up the top hat :p

Peter Immelmann

Mega Poster
Don't underestimate how much speed the train actually looses when traveling that fast. I could very well imagine that without any launch after the spike the train would not make it over the top hat even if the spike is 500 ft (and the center-of-mass of the train reaching, say, 460ft or what is reasonable here). Of course this highly depends on the conditions. So, my guess is that the last launch is there to mitigate speed loss and carefully trim the speed to just make it over the top.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Don't underestimate how much speed the train actually looses when traveling that fast. I could very well imagine that without any launch after the spike the train would not make it over the top hat even if the spike is 500 ft (and the center-of-mass of the train reaching, say, 460ft or what is reasonable here). Of course this highly depends on the conditions. So, my guess is that the last launch is there to mitigate speed loss and carefully trim the speed to just make it over the top.

Yeah, basically this.

If you have a 500ft spike, then the train can naturally reach a speed of about 120mph...but that's assuming no friction / wind resistance and stuff. So really, some form of launch (or, more accurately boost) post-spike would be needed really to ensure it makes it over the top hat.

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
Don’t mind me, i’m just gonna make some predictions:

New height (spike): 488 Ft tall
4 launches: back, forwards, back + forward
Additional track length added: 987ft