What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
So a quick update: we have trains on track!
1701465733919.png

Also, the three remaining pieces of track for the back spike still need installed (high winds and weather have begun as winter sets in). Looking at the CP webcam, the large cranes look like they're getting into position for some major hoisting though:

1701465718454.png

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It's all vantage point, but swear the back spike is taller than the top hat.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Unfortunately we have lost one of our own, as Lake Erie Lifestyles has been strong armed into discontinuing Cedar Point content. Everything related to the park has been unlisted so if you have links attached then keep them where they are. They've been a fantastic insight on the coaster's progress over the last 10 months;
IMG_2146.jpg

JackFish

Mega Poster
Unfortunately we have lost one of our own, as Lake Erie Lifestyles has been strong armed into discontinuing Cedar Point content. Everything related to the park has been unlisted so if you have links attached then keep them where they are. They've been a fantastic insight on the coaster's progress over the last 10 months;
View attachment 28739
If it is still great lakes, can't Cedar Point be included?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
If it is still great lakes, can't Cedar Point be included?
I presume the rebrand is because of the need to exclude Cedar Point, and thus the need to expand the focus on other major parks like SFGA, Michigan's Adventure, Darian Lake and Canada's Wonderland.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
TBH, there are some clear moments in Lake Erie Lifestyles' drone coverage where they were flying over Cedar Point property, which qualifies as trespassing. Unfortunate they have to shut down the Youtube coverage, which can indeed be due to cease and desist issued by Cedar Point/not having wealth to wage a long-term legal battle in the courts. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Cedar Point (frankly) timed out the maneuvering for once they have started testing and might pick up their own Youtube/media coverage of TT2.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
TBH, there are some clear moments in Lake Erie Lifestyles' drone coverage where they were flying over Cedar Point property, which qualifies as trespassing. Unfortunate they have to shut down the Youtube coverage, which can indeed be due to cease and desist issued by Cedar Point/not having wealth to wage a long-term legal battle in the courts. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Cedar Point (frankly) timed out the maneuvering for once they have started testing and might pick up their own Youtube/media coverage of TT2.
Wow, is that how it works in the US? If you own the land you own the skies above it too? Presumably up to a certain height I guess?

Doesn't work like that here, or anywhere else in Europe, I can't imagine what it'd be like if we all controlled the air space over our property. What happens if a small helicopter flies over, or what about a hot air balloon?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Wow, is that how it works in the US? If you own the land you own the skies above it too? Presumably up to a certain height I guess?

Doesn't work like that here, or anywhere else in Europe, I can't imagine what it'd be like if we all controlled the air space over our property. What happens if a small helicopter flies over, or what about a hot air balloon?
A primer: https://www.housedigest.com/844848/heres-who-really-owns-the-space-above-your-house/

In short: Yes, American legal system allows a land owner to own mineral (below ground), ground, and above ground (air space) to a certain height (~500 ft.) of property line, at which point air space is federal owned and regulated by the U.S. Federal Aviation Authority. There are some quirks/wrinkles to that depending on the state and respective state laws you live in.

For drones, there is a legal FAA permit that can be granted, but that only clears up to 500 ft. (Which is to say, no drone flying in FAA-regulated air space). So if there was any inkling of flying over Cedar Point property, the park most likely cut a scarily worded cease and desist, threatening further legal action if the Youtube didn't immediately stop/remove existing content.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
A primer: https://www.housedigest.com/844848/heres-who-really-owns-the-space-above-your-house/

In short: Yes, American legal system allows a land owner to own mineral (below ground), ground, and above ground (air space) to a certain height (~500 ft.) of property line, at which point air space is federal owned and regulated by the U.S. Federal Aviation Authority. There are some quirks/wrinkles to that depending on the state and respective state laws you live in.

For drones, there is a legal FAA permit that can be granted, but that only clears up to 500 ft. (Which is to say, no drone flying in FAA-regulated air space). So if there was any inkling of flying over Cedar Point property, the park most likely cut a scarily worded cease and desist, threatening further legal action if the Youtube didn't immediately stop/remove existing content.
Interesting thanks, so if you’re a US drone pilot you can fly up to 500ft (higher than us) but not above private property at all without permission? So only over public open space, your own property or permission property.

That seems very restrictive.

bratcurry

Mega Poster
Doesn't work like that here, or anywhere else in Europe, I can't imagine what it'd be like if we all controlled the air space over our property.
Yes it does. You are not allowed to fly a drone with a camera (even if it's turned off) over any private property (at least in Germany, and I'd guess the EU is pretty much the same) or you're bound to get sued.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Yes it does. You are not allowed to fly a drone with a camera (even if it's turned off) over any private property (at least in Germany, and I'd guess the EU is pretty much the same) or you're bound to get sued.
Fair enough, I do not know Germany's specific restrictions, but I do know the EU's laws on drones very well, and that is NOT the norm. Most of these camera drones being used over theme parks are A1 open class drones such as the DJI Mini 3, or to put it another way, sub 250g, and can be flown anywhere under EU law including over private property and near to people, as long as the airspace is not restricted (i.e near an airport) and you do not exceed the height ceiling. So what you're telling me is that Germany does not follow EU law on this. That in itself is not surprising, the EU Drone guides all tell you to check each member state's own additional restrictions and rules. :)

A quick cross check shows that you're right, well kind of. Seemingly only residential areas in Germany have extra restrictions for drones that can transmit or record sound or video. 👍 Not sure that would restrict flying over a closed theme park.

UK laws are still broadly in line with the EU laws, although they're just starting to branch out now. We can fly over your back yard as long as we don't deliberately look through your windows. (As you DO have a right to privacy inside your home.) You do not own the airspace above your land, nor do you have a right of privacy in outdoor spaces, including your own... Which is kind of the opposite of what I'd always believed until I learned more about drone laws.