What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Mean Streak Removal - What's Next?

Hyde said:
Apologies for lack of live stream last night from the CF channel - it turns out throngs of people is great at killing wifi signal. :p
Exactly why I don't use wifi for Live streams.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

ECG said:
Hyde said:
Apologies for lack of live stream last night from the CF channel - it turns out throngs of people is great at killing wifi signal. :p
Exactly why I don't use wifi for Live streams.
Cellular was even worse unfortunately.

Have a moment to post a longer recap of last night's festivities.

The first thing to emphasize was how many people were there - A TON! The last time Mean Streak's queue was this active was during it's original opening year. A lot of folks turned out to see the coaster off, which made for a very fun atmosphere.

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/CoasterForce/photos/pcb.10153814660043639/10153814658458639/?type=3&theater[/facebookpost]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoasterForce/status/776919004007063552[/tweet]

Another fun touch to the funeral were flowers left by park staff. Maintenance and Carpenters were especially excited to see the coaster go.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoasterForce/status/776923030584958976[/tweet]

There was of course Tony Clark's fantastic eulogy, which featured an especially great latin incantation.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoasterForce/status/776951321127682048[/tweet]

The procession then proceeded along the Gemini, TTD, and Main Midway, with (zombie) Tony leading the procession of various pieces of Mean Streak. It was quite the mob of a procession!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoasterForce/status/776934804751343616[/tweet]

And finally, Mean Streak was entombed along with the rest of the dearly-departed rides of Cedar Point's past.

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/CoasterForce/photos/a.57182843638.69352.48452768638/10153815174558639/?type=3[/facebookpost]

Indeed there was the fun dig to RMC, and reference to Frontier Town's future looking bright. But, in similar fashion to the removal of White Water Landing back in 2005 - we haven't a clue what is in the future for the Mean Streak plot.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Well if you still aren't convinced, this was spotted at the Point...

14370450_1653061611635495_235388541151800107_n.jpg

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I think this has been debunked as a photoshop hoax?

tomahawk

Strata Poster

I was about to fangirl squeal....thank you for sparing me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VonRoll23

Roller Poster

Hyde said:
I think this has been debunked as a photoshop hoax?

Not a Photoshop hoax by any means, this is like the Valravn leak all over again.

Those people are looking wayyyy too hard into that single photo (I have seen plenty, including a high resolution, non-pixelated version). The speculated picture was very low resolution, If you look at cell phone pictures lettering and objects always seem to look distorted around the border of the subject.

Also, i have many friends that live in Sandusky that have gone to the location to see for themselves.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

That crane may be a photoshop hoax but Mean Streak is obviously going to be RMCd, it just is. I know that jumping out with overly confident statements is usually silly but I can't see them going to the trouble of removing it to slap a generic B&M in its place.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Welppppp, new reports coming in that this actually is a real crane on real Cedar Point property.

I'm still keeping a stake out for backup photographic proof... but this could be the real deal.

EthC

Mega Poster

That is true, maybe this picture is more convincing. Then again Mean Streak is one of the closer coasters to the water park so I dont know...

image_14243.jpg

djreplay26

Roller Poster

Well the cranes got its legs down so it's lifting nearby, surely they wouldn't need a crane for the waterpark at this stage anyway.

VonRoll23

Roller Poster

Ben said:
Calm yourselves, RMC does water parks too.

Remind me what CP are getting next year?

Not sure why I keep seeing this.

RMC has helped with only 3 Waterpark projects.. two of them in their own state (Idaho) and one nearby in South Dakota.

Why would Cedar Point hire a company all the way from Idaho to help construct a waterpark? There are way more companies and a lot closer too.

Ben

CF Legend

^Because it's the logical thing?

Rather than a week after Mean Streak has closed omg they're ripping it down already for 2018.

Just, no. Everyone calm your tits and look what's logical and maybe, just maybe, have some patience.

I've been doing this too long to **** myself over a crane. Hold out for actual, you know, something.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

It might just be because it's way past midnight here, but I struggle to think of a reason why RMC should need to have their own crane on site at this part of any construction project. Whether it's a water park or a Mean Streak retrack... why would RMC need a crane there, now? The park is still open, Mean Streak is still standing, and they wouldn't close off sections of the park for heavy lifting work now? At any rate, shouldn't there be a bunch of inspection and planning work to do before you start lifting things into the air? Okay, I presume the waterpark is either closed for the season or about to close now, but still...

VonRoll23

Roller Poster

Ben said:
^Because it's the logical thing?

Rather than a week after Mean Streak has closed omg they're ripping it down already for 2018.

Just, no. Everyone calm your tits and look what's logical and maybe, just maybe, have some patience.

I've been doing this too long to **** myself over a crane. Hold out for actual, you know, something.
I'm curious as to why you think it's logical for RMC to come all the way from Idaho to help Cedar Point construct a water park (that construction has already started on btw, they obviously found a company before RMC got there). Why would they park the crane at the maintenance shop.. and the very next day go right for Mean Streak's infield and then go help tear down the golf course and rip cord with a company that is already there? They aren't even ready to have slides on site yet.

Pretty certain RMC helped with those waterparks out of the convenience of location.

Kind of hard to "look at what's logical" when somebody thinks that RMC is at Cedar Point to help construct a waterpark which absolutely blows my mind.

Dave

CF Legend

You'd think a company who's good at assembling rides would be quite nifty at taking apart a large ride such as Mean Streak and get paid money for it. Oh and it's quite a tall ride, might need a crane for that!

Lofty

CF Legend

I'm not saying this is the case by any means but if the pictures are in fact real, is there some form of possible chance that they might potentially have put decals on a normal truck to troll enthusiasts and geeks? I really wouldn't put it past a park to do something like this for some form of promotion into a niche sector (I know coaster enthusiasts would be talking about it anyway), it's the first time I've ever seen a manufacturer use their own crane with their own branding on it?! I know some of you will correct me with photos, and I'm more than happy for you to do that?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Dave said:
You'd think a company who's good at assembling rides would be quite nifty at taking apart a large ride such as Mean Streak and get paid money for it. Oh and it's quite a tall ride, might need a crane for that!

Of course, in the off season. But Cedar Point is still open for another month or so, if only in the weekends. I'd expect RMC to bring a crane to do the lifting work, but not the lifting work to begin already.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Lofty said:
I'm not saying this is the case by any means but if the pictures are in fact real, is there some form of possible chance that they might potentially have put decals on a normal truck to troll enthusiasts and geeks? I really wouldn't put it past a park to do something like this for some form of promotion into a niche sector (I know coaster enthusiasts would be talking about it anyway), it's the first time I've ever seen a manufacturer use their own crane with their own branding on it?! I know some of you will correct me with photos, and I'm more than happy for you to do that?
The other difference with RMC is that their background is in building rides. It's quite plausible to me that they have their own kit with branding on from back in the days when their team would arrive and build someone else's coaster. In that respect they'd be no different to any other construction company. I think this is slightly different to B&M (for example), who've never really been involved in the construction industry.

That doesn't really help validate the picture of the crane, but I don't think it would be unreasonable for RMC to have branded cranes given their past.

Ben

CF Legend

Yeah alright Mean Streak is definitely getting RMC'd, they've started the work straight away it can't be anything else, this is definitely genuine, booked my flights for 2018 already.

Sigh.