What's new

Cedar Point | Siren's Curse | Vekoma TILT | 2025

Looks pretty awesome but at the same time when at a park like CP seems like it could easily be overlooked when you have such other massive rides all around it.

If this was indeed the coaster intended for Six Flags Mexico it could have gone to a bunch of other parks in the chain.

SF St. Louis, MiA, Valleyfair, Six Flags America, La Ronde... why Cedar Point?

It's a stock layout that only a couple months ago seemed to be penciled in for Mexico. Hell it even showed up at Mexico...

If Cedar Point knew in July they were receiving a major coaster there would have definitely been signs, but they've already filed a slew of permits now...

They're using the old dorms site, their ultimate break-glass get-out-of-jail-free card for expansion...

I'm going to be extremely excited for this later on, but right now my mentality is
1726750606665.png

Did Top Thrill Poo poo-poo the bed that hard? Is new Six Flags management trying to instill confidence in the new company with insane capital expenditure?

What a shocker, but a positive one. Just curious as to why they teased it and named it water-related when neither the ride nor its surroundings have anything associated with water lol

What a shocker, but a positive one. Just curious as to why they teased it and named it water-related when neither the ride nor its surroundings have anything associated with water lol

I mean, I guess they could argue that the park is surrounded by a Great Lake, but I do admit the colour choice is a bit weird for something that is meant to be sort of water themed. Maybe a light blue would have been okay, but it's next to Millennium Force which is also blue, and Gatekeeper is light blue as well.

Looks fun. I didn't even see the teaser for this so it's totally out of left field, and I thought whatever they got next was going to go where Snake River Falls was, but I suppose maybe this is the "filler" until they get their next major attraction, since TT2 was a flop so far.

hot take: cedar point did NOT need a tilt

reasons
  • first of all, people will think it's somewhat similar to valravn. at its core, a tilt coaster is type of dive coaster
    • in relation to that, valraven fills the gap of diver.
  • the layout is good...not great. don't get me wrong I think it looks like a banger, just doesn't really fit at a major park like cedar point, they should have handed to another park
  • (IMO) they need a modern woodie that has a moderate thrill level, not exactly family but not exactly extreme. thats somewhat a gap that needs to be filled.
their are still a handful of things I absolutely love
  • the name actual isn't to bad: its not "iron menace"
  • the layout as stated is actually good. I think people will REALLY enjoy it. its not world class but it could easily break some peoples top 50.

Well ... I wasn't expecting that.

Doubtful it will be open in time for my visit on memorial day weekend so it's a shame I'll miss it, but I bet it will look awesome on the skyline.

Via ParkFans's User Unagi (who seems to be trusted over there), this might be in response to upper management having little-to-no confidence that Top Thrill will be open in nine months, in time for CP's 2025 opening.

I'd love to see if they can get this open in nine months, given how Six Flags tried and failed to get two similar-ish situation coasters (smaller ones at that) open in such a time frame.

So this coaster layout is a cloned model?
Yes and no. It's Vekoma's Cliffhanger model, one of two stock standard models that they designed themselves, not specifically for any customer (at least that we know of). It's on their website, where you can also find the Pitfall model that's currently being build at COTAland. IF this is the coaster that is currently at SF Mexico, it's not yet a cloned layout, since that's the only one of this model around as of now. But if this is a 4th Tilt coaster project (could it be *the* 4th one?) from Vekoma then yes this will be a clone of the one in Mexico. This model has definitely been desinged to be cloned, so I guess it'll be a matter of time before more of these pop up.

First, new off-ride rendering:

Second, upon further thought, and to echo @TPoseOnTantrum's sentiment - why is Cedar Point getting a tilt coaster!?

Plugging the open plot of Wildcat's land after years of sitting idle I understand; further rumor mill suggests this or another coaster was in the works for that piece of property before the TTD debacle, requiring resources to shift to TT2 retrofit (and... ahem... still underway).

But you want to know another park that also has a gapping plot of land from a roller coaster recently removed? Kings Island (and the Vortex lot). What's all the funnier, as mentioned earlier, they are getting a dueling water coaster in 2025!

Call me crazy, but maybe the timeline where Kings Island gets a Vekoma tilt coaster, filling a gap left by Vortex and bringing a completely new, vertical drop experience to the park lineup (rather than duplicating attributes of THE ROLLER COASTER IMMEDIATELY NEXT DOOR), and Cedar Point receiving a water coaster to fill in new gap made in their water park is the better outcome?

This really is the most RCT roller coaster ever. Filling a hole, nice compact and intense design, and zero consideration for immediately neighboring roller coasters. :p

The timeline from what I understand it is a little different. Kings Island was preparing for construction before this coaster was penciled in for CP, which from cross referencing several accounts took place within this month. The park was indeed planning another ride… until new corporate leadership visited one of the Six Flags parks (won’t say what or which) and were impressed enough to divert that over. Seems like this was a big last minute project switcheroo, specifically one to give CP this coaster. There’s a lot of people attributing this as compensation for and a lack of confidence in Top Thrill 2.

Evidently things also weren’t going smoothly in Mexico and Vekoma was already delivering the ride, so it was also a matter of maintaining the project (asset). Mexico started the public consultation and permitting process after this began as opposed to Merlin, who wisely used the year it took to drag Hyperia through approvals as a way to wait out Mack’s production waitlist. Six Flags began everything at once, which I imagine would create tension with the team because suddenly you’re coordinating delivery to a location where everything’s still in the air. Government asides they probably could have worked it out in the end if Team Zimmerman didn’t step in, they just needed more time and flexibility.

Okay, because I'm confused after reading different things from different places and just want a direct answer...

What is the general thought consensus? Is this the same coaster that was planned for Six Flags Mexico / appeared at SFM, or is this another tilt coaster?

Seems like this was a big last minute project switcheroo, specifically one to give CP this coaster.

Yeah, it certainly seems that way from the outside looking in.

CP's normal MO would be to let a few smaller versions of these get built at other parks, then swoop in several years down the line with a giant custom record-breaking mama-jama.

Not that I'm unhappy about it or anything; it just seems a little out of character.

Fun-looking ride still looks fun!!

ElToroRyan has made a short analysis video. Seems that the most popular theory is that this is Six Flags Mexico's Tilt. I am now thinking it might be very late in the game for a 2025 opening.

ElToroRyan has made a short analysis video. Seems that the most popular theory is that this is Six Flags Mexico's Tilt. I am now thinking it might be very late in the game for a 2025 opening.
TBH, with such a compact layout, it may not be as late as you think. Track construction often doesn't go vertical until the off-season, for instance.

WoOOOOah that wAsN’t ThE cHoC i ExPeCtEd iN mY aDvEnT cAlEnDaR.

Fingers crossed it’s not an Abyssus-like ‘quease-machine’!

I feel a bit green just looking at the start of Abyssus (in real life or off-ride POVs) … 🤢

TBH, with such a compact layout, it may not be as late as you think. Track construction often doesn't go vertical until the off-season, for instance.
True, but this feels more like a traditional flags cooperate decision and based off most six flags installations which have been delayed extensively, this looks like a late summer addition at the earliest.

Granted some of six flags delays were due to covid, but I get the feeling that some of the delays are probably a cost saving measure.

If it is the Mexico coaster then at least time will be saved on fabrication and shipping. Maybe an August opening is possible?

Either way this coaster looks awesome, I'm just starting to get a little salty over here because I won't get to ride it 🤣