What's new

Cedar Point | Rougarou | Mantis Floorless Conversion

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Re: Cedar Point Mantis to Close October 19

Guys, come on, they're obviously converting it into a stand up floorless coaster (think acrophobia but in coaster from) :lol: Ha, please note that was sarcasm, I can't even imagine how vile that would be if somebody ever dared do it.

As much as I hate to say it though, I really can see this being just a floorless conversion and a retheme, most likely tied to the whole Ragarou theme (Or however you spell it) I'd love to see a new coaster but the whole thing just reeks of a conversion, and also the timeframe would surely be too short to remove mantis and install another coaster. Also the whole squashing thing, makes me think it's a reference to the size gap between the standup cars and the sitdown/floorless cars.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Suggesting anything but conversion at this point is moronic at this point.

I wonder if they may do some track changes as well, like the turnaround before the drop, something like that. Pulling that out of my ass and completely making it up.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

I love the idea of calling it Rougarou. It's already built over wet, buggy terrain and happens to be close to their Blood on the Bayou haunt if I'm correct, absolutely perfect for a swamp werewolf. That green and grey could look cool if it were held up by black supports and given a theming package similar to Banshee's. Could also see new flyer restraints going on this, and possibly a whole new train design altogether. I could see them redoing the station since they already have to retrofit it with the removable floor for loading, might as well theme it.

I'd like to see this run on three train operation (I thought it was originally designed to as a standup, there's a train sitting by the maintenance bay if I recall correctly) and rock a textured lighting package. Banshee's is amazing, I'd love to see what they do here if they really want to go all out.

The Hedgehog

Mega Poster

tomahawk said:
Suggesting anything but conversion at this point is moronic.

I don't necessarily think it's "Moronic". Granted most signs point to it happening, and it's been rumored in the past. However, that tweet from Dorney does raise some eyebrows with me.

Intricks

Strata Poster

The "rumored" conversion to floorless has been nothing but some enthusiasts hope for a more comfortable ride.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

Tony Clark posted a new blog post on Cedar Point's website. Take it for what you will. He is making it sound like Mantis is leaving the park for good, but we all know that parks are getting pretty darn good at throwing us off their trail. The definite thing is that there are bigger announcements to come:

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog-article ... usekeeping

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster

Michigan's Adventure needs this coaster, but just transferred into floorless and a new paint job.

Boom.

AquaTrax

Mega Poster

I was just about to say the same thing, MA needs a new coaster badly and this could be a perfect fit. They could retrack their railroad and put it to the left of Shivering Timbers.

Ben

CF Legend

This topic got very weird very fast. Is Mantis going to spit me out of a cred next June or not?

Edit - Split this post as this part of it belongs here and won't be answered otherwise. ECG

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Okay I've cleared out all that stuff and I'm looking into the claims that AquaTrax and Jason Voorhees (and gforce) are the same person using multiple accounts.

That's the end of it in this topic, please continue the discussion about Mantis and it's future.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

My guess is that Mantis gets floorless trains and for a season the name King James' Coaster.

Darren B

Giga Poster

rollermonkey said:
My guess is that Mantis gets floorless trains and for a season the name King James' Coaster.

Agreed.

With floorless trains and a new theme is it acceptable to count it as a new cred?

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Who cares? I don't.

Everybody uses their own counting rules. Do what you want.

I won't. My personal thought is it's the same track.

Snoo

The Legend

Darren, I'd say no for me. New trains aren't that drastic of a change to warrant a new credit. Now, if they had to alter the track significantly to make the floorless work and it isn't the same ride just floorless.. then it would be a new credit IMO.

D1993

Hyper Poster

I think the conversion is going to be slightly more drastic than people are thinking.
You can't just take stand up trains and plop down floorless ones on the exact same track.
The heart line is going to be different for a stand up and floorless coaster. That means that pieces of track (possibly quite a few) will need to be replaced.
The rides also got an 18 year old lift motor and chain - I wouldn't be surprised to see those replaced along with new brakes. It's more than just putting new trains on the track.
Hopefully they actually build a really cool new station and nice storage shed for 3 trains - meaning Cedar Point would have it's fourth people eating roller coaster when it comes to capacity.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Well this is what Cedar Point tweeted today:

It's BIGGER. It's BETTER! It's our news on @KingJames. Tuesday. 9/16. 11 am. #IPROMISE

The term Bigger certainly doesn't inspire a thought of just a conversion. Let the anticipation continue through to Tuesday.

And on the topic of does a new train count as a new credit, I too fall in the camp that one set of tracks counts as one credit. If the track doesn't change, neither does the credit.

BBH

Giga Poster

D1993 said:
I think the conversion is going to be slightly more drastic than people are thinking.
You can't just take stand up trains and plop down floorless ones on the exact same track.
The heart line is going to be different for a stand up and floorless coaster. That means that pieces of track (possibly quite a few) will need to be replaced.
The rides also got an 18 year old lift motor and chain - I wouldn't be surprised to see those replaced along with new brakes. It's more than just putting new trains on the track.
Hopefully they actually build a really cool new station and nice storage shed for 3 trains - meaning Cedar Point would have it's fourth people eating roller coaster when it comes to capacity.

The heartline issue could "easily" be solved by altering the height of the trains to match the existing heartline. Even then, the heartline of riders on a stand up coaster varies wildly, much more so than on any other coaster, so the point of rotation was never that exact to begin with. No track will need to be replaced.

A new lift chain, motor, brakes, and drive tires are all to be expected here. And yes, I think their intention is to run three trains on this.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

I wouldn't be surprised to see an inversion or two added to be honest. If this is their big 2015 thing, it has to be more than a retheme and new trains.

People are stupid, but I hope they aren't they aren't that stupid.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

D1993 said:
The heart line is going to be different for a stand up and floorless coaster.

Naive youngster. More than a few of the earliest stand-ups did exactly this, heartlining be damned.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

There are still some standups that have both standing and sit-down trains operating alternately on the same track.