What's new

Cedar Point | Rougarou | Mantis Floorless Conversion

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Cedar Point Mantis to Close October 19

^ And Cedar Point used to allow riders to sit on Mantis, having the restraints lowered all the way down. If I recall correctly, they stopped this in the early 2000s.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Bust.

Cedar Point's anticipated 2015 announcement today turned out to be an announcement of CP partnering with the Lebron James Foundation.

The Hedgehog

Mega Poster

Hyde said:
Bust.

Cedar Point's anticipated 2015 announcement today turned out to be an announcement of CP partnering with the Lebron James Foundation.
So legitimately closing Mantis????

Darren B

Giga Poster

They will announce what happens to Mantis on the 19th October.

My guess is it'll become a floorless called Centurion or Fury as they are the 2 names they've got in the bank.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Thus far October 19 has been only confirmed as the closing of Mantis.

If history is to be a precedent - Disaster Transport shutdown on July 29, with Gatekeeper announced two weeks afterwards.

October 19 still has two more weekends of operations behind it to wrap up the Cedar Point schedule - what would y'all think about a ride announcement on the last day of the season?

Darren B

Giga Poster

^Good point, it was only fan mentioned that there would be an announcement on that date.

In the charity announcement it mentions having a 'first rider auction'. We can at least take that as a new ride coming to Cedar Point or the Mantis refurb.

Edit. Mantis is closing far to late to be relocated. Rides that are set for relocation generally tend to be closed by now. Iron Wolf closed on September 5th to be removed and reopened the next year. CP are 2 months behind, surely that can only mean a refurb. There's no way it's getting torn down.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

^Unless they put it somewhere for 2016. Not that I think that, but that's the one argument for relocation. Repaint that turd and ship it too Valley Fair, Worlds of Fun, or Michigan Adventure as, according to recent history, those parks deserve second hand crap or nothing.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Let's not forget Dorney Park corner of relocated toys with Stinger (From CGA), Possessed (From Geauga), and Demon Drop (From CP). :razz:

Darren has a point - it takes time to remove a roller coaster, even more if you are relocating the ride (far quicker to bull doze the structure than take it down piece by piece). The time frame is off for Cedar Point to remove Mantis AND add a new attraction.

Things seem to be swinging the conversion way at this point.

Intricks

Strata Poster

The blog though states something interesting, and whether or not it was to toss the trail off or not, but he stated in it (that antinos has linked to) that this was never stated as part of 2015.

I dont see it as a conversion simply because if they were to retheme it to Rougarou, than it would stay a Stand-Up.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Rougarou official video announcement!

hFMOH3S.png

Nicely done logo, CP.

Intricks said:
The blog though states something interesting, and whether or not it was to toss the trail off or not, but he stated in it (that antinos has linked to) that this was never stated as part of 2015.

I dont see it as a conversion simply because if they were to retheme it to Rougarou, than it would stay a Stand-Up.

Could you have said 'I'll eat my hat if it becomes a floorless named Rougarou' too?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zey3WWThErw&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

So there we are - Mantis is (unsurprisingly) back with a Dominator-esque paint job, floorless trains, a new name, and apparently, an untrimmed first drop! Let's face it - we've all been taught a PR lesson by the point!

Despite being correctly guessed months ago, Cedar Point still played the game! The whole point of their teasing was to gain attention and prompt us to doubt the rumour, which we all did. They lie low for a few weeks, then announce to announce something which is presumably the new coaster, and isn't. All media attention fades, and then BAM! Just when we weren't expecting it....
I wonder why they've announced it this early though? Maybe fans really were shedding tears about it...

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster

I really like the new colour scheme and I'm glad the conversion rumour was true. It should turn an almost universally disliked ride into a pretty decent coaster.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Wow. That was a bit....unexpected.

So congrats are in order for those that pushed conversion (which I dont see the point of). Ummm, the retheme is lame - like, severely so; HOWEVER, the name fits where the ride sits, so it works well enough.

That color scheme though. Orange and teal TOTALLY yells of a werewolf.

Im laughing at this sadly.

The Hedgehog

Mega Poster

I hope it bring popularity back to the ride, but I don't know how much different the experience will be. Yeah, the first drop won't be trimmed hopefully, but that ride is missing airtime, even if just for a moment IMO.

I'll still ride it next season, but was hoping for some small changes in the track possibly.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster

Hmmm not digging the name and color combination. Brown track with white supports would have been better. I'm really hoping for new improved floorless coaster train with the new B&M restraints. Overall its a meh for me.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Would have preferred something less orange, and the logo leaves something to be desired, but these are things that ultimately don't matter while riding.

Glad Cedar Point made the announcement, and excited to have new life breathed into the ride.

Snoo

The Legend

Intricks said:
Wow. That was a bit....unexpected.

So congrats are in order for those that pushed conversion (which I dont see the point of). Ummm, the retheme is lame - like, severely so; HOWEVER, the name fits where the ride sits, so it works well enough.

That color scheme though. Orange and teal TOTALLY yells of a werewolf.

Im laughing at this sadly.

We've been saying it for 6 pages. How are you surprised? :p

Intricks

Strata Poster

^Not surprised, but it wasnt exactly high on what I thought was happening to it. While I doubted a conversion, it still had some plausibility.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Intricks said:
^Not surprised, but it wasnt exactly high on what I thought was happening to it. While I doubted a conversion, it still had some plausibility.

Dude, yesterday you said it would be a removal and not a conversion. Or the day before.

Floorless>stand up.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Would be nice to see a lights package on the roller coaster with the conversion, but thinking through it further you'd have to battle A LOT of bugs.

Cedar Point is inadvertently carving out a New Orleans Bayou theme in the middle of the park between this and the Blood Bayou haunted walk-through during Halloweekends.

And on the prospect of losing Mantis, I guess I don't feel remorse over the different train styles, but there is a certain part of me that feels the roller coaster will pale in comparison to straight B&M floorless coasters.