What's new

Canada's Wonderland |"Leviathan"| B&M HyperGiga

D1993

Hyper Poster
This one seems to be taking a little longer than the usual B&M Hyper ....
I remember when Intimidator was being built and it literally went up like a KNEX Set!!
this has taken every put of 3 months though .....
I guess its to be expected, because of the much colder conditions and large scale of the ride.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ How is the station meant to be themed? Medieval? And there's virtually nothing medieval about that part of the park other than the little dragon thingy and the castle that has had nothing in it every time I've been there. :p

The park used to be organized into themed areas. The Medieval Fair section has lost a lot of its theming with the addition of the top-spin, drop-zone, and the go-karts/arcade. All the games and rides have Medieval themed structures. Nightmare, Rage, Dragon Fire, and the tea-cup/barrel ride all have light Medieval Theming. Its by far not the best theming but its better than anything at Cedar Point :lol: Leviathan is mythical creature it'll fit in just as well as Dragon Fire does.

As for it's station theming I don't know what its planning to look like, but it was mentioned in an interview I watched somewhere that it would help "bring back" or "restore" the area.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
^I'd stick with medieval theming, anyway, weren't medieval people supposed to be superstitious of things, like mythical beasts? They were strong christians and (were just about forced to believe) believed in heaven and hell...so why not?

I know the area is MEANT to be Medieval, but I can't say I go there and feel like I'm in some sort of ancient land :p I don't think they did a good job with it. It still has a nice atmosphere, just like the whole park does, but it's not greatly themed by any means. I miss Hannah Barbara land </3

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I actually think the station might be themed a tad bit. Look at the ride's teaser site, it has a medieval motif to it. Even if it is somewhat light, I could see the station having a castle-like look to it.

Yeah, Wonderland is a nice park but I wouldn't say they're gonna really go all out with theming anything. Maybe a bit on the station, but it won't be that extensive.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
CoasterCrazy said:
^I'd stick with medieval theming, anyway, weren't medieval people supposed to be superstitious of things, like mythical beasts? They were strong christians and (were just about forced to believe) believed in heaven and hell...so why not?

Not in medieval Canada they weren't :p

Or Medieval China, Mongolia, Middle East (well, they tried there), Africa, etc. etc. etc.

Leviathan is actually an Old Testament reference and Jewish in origin. It was one of the three great beasts mentioned in the books. I think Behemoth is another and the other escapes me at the moment.

I've read medieval bestiaries (I'm great fun at parties too :p ), and they don't mention either beast (but Chimera, Unicorns and Griffins tend to get a passing nod). Not that it has anything to do with our skewed view of the medieval European people and fictional theming based on those misconceptions mind - just, erm, dunno, adding accuracy :lol:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^The third would be Ziz, the flying beast.

What you get to learn from Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire...

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
I don't think the general public will know what a leviathan is anyway. Everyone I've talked too just says its a mythical beast. I really don't think they'll look too harshly on it being put in the haphazardly themed Medival section, just as no complained when Behemoth we put in the Action Zone (or World's Exposition) section. Though it would have been smarter to put the creature of water over the lake and not the parking lot.

Mike T

Mega Poster
Not to mention, when is the last time a Cedar Fair attraction has had a rich back story? Like you said with Maverick - they attempted to do something that they inevitably failed at - what makes you think they're going to up the ante with an already extraordinarily expensive roller coaster. This things going to have a plain station, a big sign that says Leviathan, and maybe a small garden near the entrance. Seriously don't get your hopes up people. Not going to happen.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
The evolution nerd in me doesn't see "biblical sea serpent" when I hear Leviathan, I see...

article-1290945-0A460909000005DC-353_468x598.jpg

A extinct species of gigantic sperm whale. <3

Anyway, UC is right. Leviathan, to most people, just implies giganticness, (which is why the whale got the name, after all) and is a great combination with Behemoth for anyone who knows their biblical monsters, but that's where the creative marketing ends.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I mentioned this to family_furie last night.

Madame_Furie just thought both Leviathan and Behemoth meant "huge"
Minor_furie thought Leviathan was a giant sea monster and Behemoth the land version.
Maxi-Minor_furie thinks Thor is his favourite god, but he likes that Santa and Jesus are friends.

Historical theology is great fun in our house :)

I never once said I thought it would or should be themed. In fact I said it won't be, because that's just not how Canada's Wonderland rolls, especially since they're installing a 300' coaster that doesn't really NEED theming to attract people to it.

Also, Behemoth can be "something big" as well:

Noun:
A huge or monstrous creature.
Something enormous, esp. a big and powerful organization

That's what I always thought it meant until this whole Leviathan business popped up.

vekomahater

Roller Poster
Hi guys, im new to the site and decided to join after reading this topic and your questions regarding the theming of Leviathan and Medieval Faire.

Kunpc1, an administrator from CWMania, confirmed on the site's Leviathan Construction Update Forum that the facades and buildings (including the arcade) would be getting re-themed in order to bring back some of Medieval Faire's theming aspects back up to par and he would recieve more details during the next construction tour he gets for Leviathan. Regarding Leviathan's theming itself, nothing has been confirmed. We have heard that the queuing area would be "well-themed" and would contain a few suprises but we will have to wait for Media Day to roll around to find out what those are.

Mike T

Mega Poster
According to Theme Park Review, B&M engineers will be on hand for Leviathan Day to speak about their first Giga Roller Coaster. Although that sounds great - the firm is notorious for not being very open about their design principals. Now, if Leviathan was an Intamin and Sandor showed up - I think we'd be in for a treat.

Actions are also officially underway - with all charitable profits going to the Sick Kids Foundation.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
^So it is a giga then...
I can really see this being much more popular than the hypers...

vekomahater said:
We have heard that the queuing area would be "well-themed" and would contain a few suprises but we will have to wait for Media Day to roll around to find out what those are.

Let the speculation start! What about a random waterjet which spurts red coloured water at the people queueing?