What's new

Canada's Wonderland |"Leviathan"| B&M HyperGiga

Re: Leviathan - B&M giga coaster for Canada's Wonderland

It takes alot of money to haul a train full or rider, plus a steel train up 306 feet in the air. At least Arrow doesn't build gigas :roll:

If anyone was going to build a decent chain lift up to +300ft I would put my money on B&M. Even though they have only ever done chain lifts they have worked at perfecting almost every part of it. And that includes the speed of them.

Venom2053 said:
The first element isn't a airtime hill its a barrel roll thats 164' tall, the first airtime hill is after the high speed curve, and its 183' tall.

I know it's what CW is calling it (I assume because that's what B&M are calling it), but I think we need to be careful to state that it's not a traditional barrel roll "inversion". Rather it's an over banked turn (or something, I don't really know exactly what the element is) in this case :)

Yes, and as I was saying before about over-exaggerating and over-explaining things, I suspect the term "barrel roll" is used here to add to hype. Half of the "elements" that CW is claiming Leviathan will have are simply segments of the track that if any other coaster included in their list of elements it would result in a half page list of random track contours.

reddude333 said:
YI suspect the term "barrel roll" is used here to add to hype.

Um, isn't that why ANY PR and Concept drawings is done for any coaster?

This is clear that's why they're naming these elements, so people talk about them when it's opening etc. Also, it's so they can actually make the coaster look bigger (in terms of what happens to you, as the rider) than what it actually is. In all honesty, as Furie posted, it is actually just an Overbanked Turn, that's it, but cleverly marketing it as something else will actually make it seem more exciting for the other Non-Enthusiast Community.

Yea agreed, its more like a Overbanked turn than a barrel roll. Though thats what they call the turn on Behemoth as well, and it is much sharper and returns parallel to where it enters. On Leviathan its more of a high banked turn.

It's more like a small Eastern European laundry company than it is a barrel roll as well.

There is no "oh it's a bit like this" about this, it IS an overbanked turn, that they've named incorrectly out of either stupidity or the desire to make it seem better than it is. Behemoth's is a turnaround. Overbanked turns don't HAVE to go 180degrees to be overbanked turns.

The awesome thing about Leviathan's first huge overbank (barrel roll whatever), is that its not that high in relation to the drop. So the train will drop from 300 feet and hit over 90 mph, then go into a 160 foot overbank really fast - kinda like Millennium force I guess.
Its going to be awesome, whatever theyre calling it.

And hopefully we'll feel some significant lateral Gs (even if it is overbanked)...vertical Gs work too :)

^ Well of course there won't be any lateral G's.. This is a B&M coaster we're talking about here.

Haha, but what about all those "high-speed turns" lol. I can always hope...

Yeah, the ride has a bunch of high speed turns.. but then it also has a thing called banking too :p

I'm pretty sure B&M do everything in their power to minimise even the thought of lats on their coasters.

I never really enjoy lateral forces that much.
I mean they are fun every now and then, but the other forces are much better.
I wont not enjoy a roller coaster because its got lots of lateral forces, but its not my favorite sort of ride.

Basically, Leviathan't not going to have much, but im sure you will get plenty of other good forces!!

D1993 said:
I wont not enjoy a roller coaster because its got lots of lateral forces, but its not my favorite sort of ride.

I like the ones where I go "Wheee!" :--D

Really looking forward to this how this coaster pans out. Hopefully if other parks decide to have B&M Gigas built, they will get rid of that stupid, stupid stupid brake run! I305 doesn't have reduction brakes that long, and it has twice the length of train to stop! Unless, of course, that this ends up with 9 trains or something, in which case I'll eat both my words and my mattress.

^I305 is only running two trains though, while Leviathan is running three trains. The extra long brake run is necessary to run the three trains without a MCBR.

emery96 said:
^I305 is only running two trains though, while Leviathan is running three trains. The extra long brake run is necessary to run the three trains without a MCBR.

Oh yes it may well be necessary, it just looks horrible!

It'll have to be fast at loading its breaking Canadian records. Thats not saying much but Wonderland gets a massive amount of visitors each summer and B&M and CW needed to make sure it would support itself. Behemoth also runs 3 trains and its line is no more than 45 minutes long every time i've ridden it (other than opening day).

^ But think about it, with at least 45 minutes waits with 3 train operation thats a pretty dam long line.
Every time I go to SFGA I never have to wait longer than 20 minutes. The line is always fairly long, but because of the 3 train operation, capacity is absolutely fantastic.

Anyways, basically I'm saying that 2 train operation isnt an option for this park and 3 is neccessary, hence the longer sort of brake run. Usually, some of the B&M Hypers trains can have 9 cars (like Nitro), but Leviathan will have 8.
Keep in mind these are still fairly long trains, and definetly not 'half' of the length of Behemoth's.

Well unless there is a major influx of crowds due to Leviathan, I think that the wait times for both B&Ms should decrease significantly once the season gets going and some of the initial hype dies down (i.e.: not opening day/week)

^The lines likely won't be as ridiculous once the season is further in and the hype dies down, but Canada's Wonderland gets pretty busy in the summer months and the lines for both Leviathan and Behemoth will likely be a fair wait.