What's new

Canada&USA;LaR/SFNE/SFGE/Quassy/Compounce/Coney/Knoebels/Cedar Point/Waldameer/Niagara/CanWonderland

davidm

Strata Poster
Was simples ; I ordered the Gold Season pass online - that gave me a print-out with a bar-code on it. They scanned the bar-code at the parking booth and let me in, then later in the day picked up the pass at the processing-centre (free plastic glass that I immediately dumped).
The pass was not the new SixFlags finger-print jobbie tho' ; it was old-school crappy-photo-on-the-card job - but was accepted fine/no questions in the later parks for parking and entry.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Was simples ; I ordered the Gold Season pass online - that gave me a print-out with a bar-code on it. They scanned the bar-code at the parking booth and let me in, then later in the day picked up the pass at the processing-centre (free plastic glass that I immediately dumped).
The pass was not the new SixFlags finger-print jobbie tho' ; it was old-school crappy-photo-on-the-card job - but was accepted fine/no questions in the later parks for parking and entry.
Did you need to go to the processing centre right away, or did you mooch about in the park a bit first?

davidm

Strata Poster
No mooched - big Q when I entered the park, no Q later in the day.
Its the biggish building immediately to the left of the main gates (if you look on Google satellite view)

davidm

Strata Poster
Monday 4th June

So thanks to the weather storm getting Canobie Lake to put up that message on their website (lucky that I spotted it to be honest - there was
nothing on their socials saying the park was closed or anything like that) I had some rescheduling to do. I had a hotel booked that night near
Six Flags New England and since it was a bit of trek to get there (would have been an even bigger trek had I gone via Canobie Lake though) I
figured I might as well have a late start and just just head there. If the weather was awful by the time I got there then I'd go to the cinema
or something otherwise go to the park (I had got a SixFlags season pass at La Ronde, so it wasn't going to cost me anything extra to park/get in
anyway).

Didn't look promising on the (3 hour) drive South though.

But thanks to the coaster-gods, as I got close to Six Flags New England the rain eased and as I was getting into the car park I even saw
the RMC cycling. :)

Goon-behaviour took over then and I rushed to Wicked Cyclone and because of the weather I guess that had put everyone else off going to
the park that day (I got there around 1pm) I was gloriously greeted by the sight of an empty station (the train was full, but thats fine of
course).

Front row first ride, like to do that if I can... and it was good. Very good for its size indeed.

Rode it a half dozen times (no wait) until I got used to it. Some sillyness towards the end with the mini-ejector hills that was a bit weird,
but lots of good stuff in it. Was the smallest RMC I've ridden but on a thrill-per-height basis very good indeed.

Felt the need to get my "credits" in ASAP just in-case the rain came back and closed stuff (rain was forecast for the next day too when I'd
planned to be here). I didn't need much as I'd been here a while back (2007). Headed across the part towards the super-hero area, but passed
Great Chase on my way just as the train was loading (with little kids, its a kiddie coaster after all). "Can I ride this?" I asked the
ride-op, "sure" he says (surprising me a little to be honest). So unexpected (only in that I'd expected to be denied) +1.

Back on plan I get to Joker the entrance of which is even further away than the ride was as they have slapped a big flat ride in the
way that you have to circumnavigate and ride both sides of that ('cos you should really shouldn't you?).

Not sold on these rides to be honest - the original one at Fiesta Texas I'd ridden a few times as it was a novelty back then, but I don't
think they give a very good ride. They look interesting, but not as good to ride as the similar Intamins I think (well at least the one
in Sweden, the one in California was just horrible).

This is the new ride they stuck in the way - was down all today, had only opened 2 days earlier as well - ha.

Batman - The Dark Knight was up next, just because it was right there. Ridden this before but couldn't remember much about it so I had
resolved to pay a bit more attention to it this time. Was good, if a little standard-floorless-B&M ; nothing wrong with that of course just
nothing "special" about this one.

Despite the next coaster being installed here since my previous visit, this wasn't a credit since it lived many years ago at Kentucky Kingdom
where I'd ridden it on a couple of visits (even got evac'd from the lift hill on it the last time I rode it there).

Gotham City Gauntlet Escape from Arkham Asylum had had a bit of facelift since its Kentucky days and it was reasonably well presented
for "just a mouse".

I'd only ridden the mouse next as Superman - Ride Of Steel / Bizarro / Superman the Ride had been down, but by the time I'd processed the mouse
it had reopened with no line - cool, get a few rides in on that I thought.

Only I get seated on the thing, seatbelt buckled, restraints down, but they are struggling with one of the cars (getting the previous
riders released) and they close it down again. Pah.

I resolve to try to ride everything else then, just in case tomorrow is a washout.

Not getting to ride this though; down and no train in sight (have the credit from Magic Mountain though, but still would've liked a go)

Yay, a working boomerang, Flashback;

Little spinner thing, Pandemonium (had been a Tony Hawk branded thing last time I was here, Tony Hawk was even doing a show out in the
staff car park that day which I watched)

Even rode the SLC Riddler Revenge, also re-branded (from the more fitting 'Mind Eraser') since my last visit. And with actually
not-uncomfortable new restraints! The ride was still a bit awful though, shuffling around a lot when it should be gliding, but at least the
vest restraints saved you from mashing your ears on the solid horse-collars of the old restraints.

The old woody Thunderbolt - was a bit rougher that I remembered but its not too big so no great pain was had.

Park had an annoyingly early closing time of 4PM too, so with an hour left (yep I'd done the whole park in 2 hours with several rerides) I saw
Superman the Ride was running again and re-boarded that (at the front).

Fab ride that, fast and an airtime machine. Perhaps showing its age a bit though, since along with the earlier random downtime, got to the
brake run and it stopped (as normal). But they then didn't/couldn't move us from the brake run to the station. Hmmm.

Sat there a while (was one train ops so no-one was panicking yet). After a while someone came over and apologised for the unspecified delay.

Pretty uncomfortable those Intamin lap bars when you are locked into them for 20 minutes I'll tell you.

Happy face!

Some mechanics turn up and do very little - I'd have thought they could have released us at least, we were sat on a platform in the brake-run
after all.

After a while something happens and the train rolls back into the station. Drama over. There is a PR-person handing out exit passes to us all,
only you can;t use the exit pass on any of the BIG rides there (like Superman nor the RMC), so thats some poor PR right away. Pah. (Not that
I needed an exit pass anyway).

Right, maximise my time left on this then,

Cycle it a few times until closing time, ride-op was going to let us stay on for the last ride as there was no Q, but evil ride supervisor
told us to get off. I told her she was "mean".

---

Hotel was in the city centre of nearby Springfield (lol, Simpsons), I had thought that there might have been some life to the place to keep
me occupied for a couple of hours in the evening (food & beer mainly), but it was a bit of a dead-zone. I found some German restaurant within
walking distance so that looked like the best option.

Place was quite cool actually - decent (German) food, had a local pint though.

Walked around the city a bit, zombies could have been through here before me, wouldn't have noticed.

So pretty decent day in the end, despite the weather. Can't recommend Springfield as a tourist destination though, apart from its proximity to
a lovely RMC that is!

Pear

Strata Poster
Nice to see you enjoyed my home park even with the poor weather!

Strange that Harley Quinn was down all day as it was down all day for me as well. I didn't think these rides are prone to much down time.

Last edited:

Hutch

Strata Poster
Even if you already had the cred, trying out Goliath again is not worth it. New trains are so painful. It seems to be down a lot more often, maybe they'll take a hint and scrap it.

Jealous about the Wicked Cyclone walk-ons...not that I haven't ridden the thing plenty of times, it's just they normally assign the seats for you.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Glad to see some more love for Superman. It's dated, sure, but it still gives one hell of a ride.

As for Goliath, it sits firmly in the bottom of my count, so you didn't miss much. I got the first train after it had been closed all day, and the riders getting off were in such obvious pain that they closed down the ride again.

Snoo

The Legend
Shame about Goliath. I wanted you to experience the pain we all felt when we rode it a few years ago. :D

Just noticed this report and was able to catch up on it! Sounds like an awful start to the trip, but that bar actually looks pretty awesome and I think I might have to check it out next time I'm in the Toronto area. I'm really shocked with your opinion regarding Ottawa, because I thought it was really reminiscent of London and a lot nicer than some of the other big Canadian cities on this side of Canada (Toronto and Montreal to name a few).

La Ronde can go die though, my poor dad drove me ten hours to get there back for like, my sixteenth or seventeenth birthday. Thankfully it wasn't all a waste as we were able to stop in Ottawa for a few days, but imagine if we'd gone all that way to the park only to drive back?! We had a similar experience driving in Montreal, which made me want to spend no extra time there and has put me in no hurry to go back. It was 120 degrees during a heat wave when I went there with queues at about an hour each, except for Toboggan Nordique which I actually skipped because the line was verging on two and a half hours. Thank goodness they took out Cobra, that think probably gave me a brain hemorrhage.

Probably a slight blessing that Goliath was closed! It was once a fun ride, but certainly not anymore. Wicked Cyclone <3 Glad you got to enjoy the park on a dreary day, always nice when parks are dead.

davidm

Strata Poster
^ "Craft Beer Market" was the bar ; think its relatively new in Toronto (was one in Ottawa as well but not in the city-centre/Byward area). My original Toronto beer-plan was to go to the Goose Island place next, then work my way back towards my hotel (near the CN Tower) via a few more places - was a brewbar at the railway depot thing near the CN Tower that looked interesting too when I was there later, but was not drinking then.

davidm

Strata Poster
Tuesday 5th June

Having had a half-day at SFNE yesterday I was in two-minds whether to trek back to Canobie today (3 hours in the wrong direction though and I'd
have to come back that 3 hours to get to the next stop), or just have a slower day at SFNE again and get to my next stop.

I chose the latter, Canobie Lake can wait until another trip - shame as I did fancy their old woody, but there is another woody in that general
area that I'd need to get at some point (which did not work in this trip's plan at all).

Since I'd "done" everything in a bit of a rush the day before, today was a much more sedate day - rain was still forecast though, but the morning
was much nicer weather than the day before at least (got worse later).

Gonna be a bit of a photo-dump then this, since I took a lot more pics today than yesterday;

Had felt that I had not given Superman enough respect the previous day (just the one ride that I got stuck on), so I did ride this a few times
to start off the day

And I did ride the lovely RMC a few times as well, why wouldn't you?

They were running two train on it as well (day before was only one), the park was probably even quieter than the day before though, so they
soon changed their mind on that and removed one. So I geeked out watching that for a while.

Think I only rode Batman otherwise

I had ridden this yesterday (but forgot to take a picture, or mention it in the last post, d'oh) ; Catwoman's Whip

This started running early afternoon, so I did get in line for it...

Just as the heavens opened with a heavy downpour - I bailed but they still ran it, people came off soaked. Then they shut it again.

And given that it was raining a lot by early afternoon, that the park was closing again at 4, and I was only killing time anyway - I left mid
afternoon and headed back North-wards (some opening time issues meant a little convoluted route planning was involved this week)

--

<mini-rant>What the deal with these electronic tolls and rental cars though - bastards don't let you pay cash anymore, they scan your license
plate (if you don't have an EZPass) and send the bill in the mail, so that means the tolls I incurred on the Mass Pike go to the rental company
who apply a processing fee to it and then bill me - such a scam. I worked out that you could prevent the bill going to rental company by paying
it online for some tolls, but not the Mass Pike ones ; I have that bill to come</rant>

I was stopping near Albany that night, had picked a random hotel just off the freeway that had a beer&bbq restaurant place next door so that
seemed a good plan...

Albany in the distance

View from my room ; beer place is that grey building

Only the stupid place had closed down at some point between me booking the hotel and now, so had to drive somewhere to get food and then just
some beer from Walmart ; that was not the plan! :(

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Aw mate - don't start me on those tolls, I had that hassle too. Unmanned booth, no card payments, no dollar bills - coins only. I had no coins, so had to do the pay online option... which I later found out doesn't work unless you're a US resident with a US drivers license... or something.
I'm sure I'll be getting charged by Thrifty for that at some point in the near future too.
Bastards.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Was that a Holiday Inn in Albany? We might have stayed in the exact same hotel up on that hill!

I think I'm the only person that actually enjoyed Goliath. It was too bat **** insane to focus on the pain it induced.

Snoo

The Legend
Was that a Holiday Inn in Albany? We might have stayed in the exact same hotel up on that hill!

I think I'm the only person that actually enjoyed Goliath. It was too bat :emoji_poop: insane to focus on the pain it induced.

I didn't think Goliath was BAD.. just not good. :p