What's new

Butterflys Are Not Roller Coasters

Darren B

Giga Poster
They have a track, car, lift hill, and coast. Ben is right when he says they're play equipment, but it doesn't mean they're not a coaster.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Before riding a butterfly I didn't consider them creds, but I was surprised by how "cred-worthy" they felt when I rode my first earlier this year. My only problem with them is that their purpose isn't really to act as a coaster; like people have said, they're a piece of self-operated playground equipment. I can't decide whether to count them or not tbh and I think they're are worse excuses for a cred out there, for example, Pilotti at Linnanmaki or that thing at Parc Saint Paul which I would definitely not count. Rcdb and CC are usually good to base your count off, but at the end of the day they aren't gonna work for everybody because essentially, they are just one persons opinions.

In conclusion, to make things simpler for myself I'm just gonna discount anything that I find dubious, so that's butterfly's out for me as well as Bayern curves. Water and powered are creds and I'll judge anything else on a ride-by-ride basis. I don't really care if people decide to count the above as creds even if I don't, as ultimately it's their choice and doesn't really affect me.

Ben

CF Legend
Darren B said:
They have a track, car, lift hill, and coast. Ben is right when he says they're play equipment, but it doesn't mean they're not a coaster.

But Nautic Jets have all of those qualities as well, and yet they're always widely dismissed. Surely if one counts, so does the other? Or, in fact, neither?

Butterflys just get a free ride and it fascinates me as to why.

Darren B

Giga Poster
You need to remember that RCDB, coaster Counter, Coaster-Count are ultimately guided by the coaster enthusiast community. Even if Butterfly's and Nautics are very similar, the community recognises that the butterfly is more of a coaster in their eyes. Whether that's right or wrong, it's just the way it is.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
At this rate Ben and Darren will be heading for divorce!

I don't think they're coasters but as I can tick a box on coaster-count, I'm counting them. Should they be removed from C-C, I wouldn't be upset.

Ben

CF Legend
Darren B said:
You need to remember that RCDB, coaster Counter, Coaster-Count are ultimately guided by the coaster enthusiast community. Even if Butterfly's and Nautics are very similar, the community recognises that the butterfly is more of a coaster in their eyes. Whether that's right or wrong, it's just the way it is.

Yes but whyyyy.

I can't just blindly accept that things have always been done that way so we should keep doing it.

Did Norma Rae just accept it? Did Rosa Parks? No! Stand up, stand up against the ridiculous practices of the coaster World!

Y'all are sheep, I'm like the Erin Brockovich of counting.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I'm pretty sure Rosa Parks stood up against discrimination, you're trying to discriminate against Butterflys, that's racist to butterflies ;)

What Ian said pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. They aren't 'rollercoasters' but they are on coaster count and it's all about that extra box to tick. The only one I've ridden was at Trampoline Trier and they had another coaster there, Racing Coaster. I probably (well probably not anyway) wouldn't travel long distances for a Butterfly..

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I just don't get why people would even want to fill their coaster list with non-coasters :p But that's just me I guess. Also, you can decide on Coaster Count whether you count butterflies/alpines/water/powered as coasters, so the fact that they're on Coaster Count is no excuse to count them :wink: But like Cookie said, to each their own. What others count doesn't have impact on my decisions.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Ian said:
At this rate Ben and Darren will be heading for divorce!

I don't think they're coasters but as I can tick a box on coaster-count, I'm counting them. Should they be removed from C-C, I wouldn't be upset.

Ian pretty much sums up why I, and many others count them. I really done care about the politics of what is, and what isn't a coaster. It's boring.

Ben - count Nutty Squirrel, Perilous Plunge, The Hayley Williams memorial cred, the +7 at Wicksteed. Who cares? We may judge you, but let's face it, we actually don't really care, it's all for fun. Only a pathetic, lonely moron would actually give two **** about what you count.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
The only ones I don't count are the ones that coaster count labels as "undefined" if you can't classify it is a coaster or not I wouldn't count it. CoasterCount has all of these different things for a reason and it is so anyone who wants to count them can and anyone who doesn't want to doesn't have to and you can filter it out. You ultimately decide what is on your list even if you count it or not. They have anything that you could possibly argue as being a coaster.

The day they add log flumes, bobkarts, alpine slides, and water slides is the day I quit using it though.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Yh, they're not creds. Why? Because common sense dictates that they're not. They're just....not? They're like an elaborate slide.

For the record I count alpine coasters, blatant creds. Not bobkarts though. And Fuga is also blates a cred.

Darren B

Giga Poster
nadroJ said:
Yh, they're not creds. Why? Because common sense dictates that they're not. They're just....not? They're like an elaborate slide.

For the record I count alpine coasters, blatant creds. Not bobkarts though. And Fuga is also blates a cred.

I agree with Alpines, definite creds. Have you been on a Butterfly, Jordan? If you haven't I fear that's your reasoning. You've got the same syndrome as Ben...

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, Alpine Coasters are 100% coasters. The ones in troughs, aren't though. Neither are Bobkarts, WTF.

I know, I know the Mack Bobsled coasters are the same thing, but, they're designed and marketed and placed in parks as a coaster, the trough ones just don't share enough of the characteristics to count.

Whereas Alpine Coasters have the track, cars and look of a coaster, so they count.

Fuga I'm not convinced about, but I won't make my mind up until I've done that one.

Not Butterflys before you say it bae, you'll never convince me until I hear my reasoned argument!

I haven't been on a Butterfly or a Nautic Jet, but I would never count either if I'd been on them. Honestly, Butterfly "coasters" seem more like play equipment to me, and Nautic Jets just seem like a fun attraction. I don't count things that don't feel like creds and to me those wouldn't feel like creds at all.

I do count alpine though, because they feel like coasters , are brought up on a lift hill, and you coast down.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I do count alpine though, because they feel like coasters , are brought up on a lift hill, and you coast down.
Not all of them bring you up. I've been on a few that take you up on a ski lift and you have to get off at the top to board the coaster.

TilenB

Strata Poster
^ Agreed, those don't even complete a full circuit! How about Brandauer's Alpine coasters? There are very few outside the Alps, but they look far less as a coaster than Wiegands. There's single rail for track and cars look less coastery...

Zac

Roller Poster
Well according to the oxford dictionary a coaster is "A fairground attraction that consists of a light railway track which has many tight turns and steep slopes on which people ride in small, fast open carriages:"
So by that definition a coaster must have a) Track similar to that of a railway b) Stuff that happens, drops/turns/slopes and c) Open carriages. So, a monorail isn't a coaster because the carriages aren't open and the track isn't like a railway. Powered coasters fit under this definition because gravity is not mentioned, however a water coaster should not count because it does not have track all the way around, this includes nautic jets. So on the topic of butterfly coasters, no they do not have track similar to a railway, yes they have a drop and yes, they are open. So I think that technically they are not coasters, but using the definition/catogorisation I have created, disk'o's are technically coasters. So really, you need to decide whether you are going to use my definition of what a coaster is, or the traditional "does it coast", because using the tradition definition will cause many clearly non-coasters to be coasters, while using my definition is clearly more restricting, for example if you remember back when legoland Windsor added those stupid lids to their mack thing, that would make it not longer a coaster as it is not open.

ignace

Mega Poster
TilenB said:
^ Agreed, those don't even complete a full circuit! How about Brandauer's Alpine coasters? There are very few outside the Alps, but they look far less as a coaster than Wiegands. There's single rail for track and cars look less coastery...

I agree that Bobkarts look less like a coaster, but they feel more coastery.

I count Butterflys. I also count the Ghost Castle in Blackpool (But not the two sides of Grand National because that is ****). My reasoning:

To be a rollercoaster, a ride has to follow all the following rules, but one and only one exception is okay:

-A full circuit
-Wheels on running rails
-Not powered
- The abbility to safely go up using the cars own force (It doesn't have to, but it has to be possible - so in Alpine coasters this is not the case, because people would stall easily right before a hill)
-The car doesn't leave the track
-The train is shorter than 50% off the track length (Bayerncurves with one ring = not a coaster, 2 rings: a coaster)
-It feels like a coaster only the slightiest bit.

Butterflys do count imo. They feel like one, the cars go up, don't leave the track, have wheels and rails. Nautic Jets are shuttle and leave the track = not a coaster. Disko's are powered and shuttle. Powered coasters do count. Menhir Express doesn't (leaves the "track", but doesn't have an actual track either and also doesn't feel like a coaster), but Supersplash in Plopsa does (only breaks one rule).

This is why Butterflys are, to me, in fact coasters. And because I have ridden about ten of these and don't want to lose them on my CC.

Ben

CF Legend
^If you don't count Nautic Jets because they leave the track I hope you don't count any Mack Water Coasters!

ignace

Mega Poster
Ben said:
^If you don't count Nautic Jets because they leave the track I hope you don't count any Mack Water Coasters!

I believe you didn't read my post very well. As I said, one exception on the rules is okay and a ride can still be seen as a rollercoaster. Two exceptions and it is not.

Nautic jets = shuttle and leaves the track = not a coaster
Mack watercoaster = leaves the track = still a coaster
New ride in walibi = shuttle, but won't leave the track = coaster