What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

MakoMania

Mega Poster
I really can't believe some of the bad reviews, I'm at a loss for words, totally not what I expected the reviews to be like after riding it myself. Wow.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
Don't get too upset! Not everyone is going to love every new coaster - that's often the way!
Yeah I know, I wasn't expecting people to worship it but man, some reviews don't even make it seem half decent.

Anyway, I'm going tomorrow so screw y'all haha :p

Snoo

The Legend
Yeah I know, I wasn't expecting people to worship it but man, some reviews don't even make it seem half decent.

Anyway, I'm going tomorrow so screw y'all haha :p

I mean.. it is kinda just there. It doesn't jump off the page like Taron or Helix did upon viewing. Plus, CF tends to be a wide variety of opinions and given what I've seen from those who aren't about to jump on the BPB bandwagon, it's just kinda there.

And tbh, its a cycle we've seen over the years with new coasters in the UK. When Wicker Man opened, I saw a number of people cream their pants when.. lets be honest.. its a kids ride. Same with Smiler.. Swarm.. etc etc.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
To be honest, though, it doesn't seem like anybody finds it a bad or boring ride per se. It seems like the consensus is "solid, but not outstanding", which is in the upper echelons for a UK coaster at any rate. It seems to be a well-built coaster that lives up to reasonable expectations, and it doesn't seem like its (to be fair, pretty narrow) design limitations have ruined it. Could it have been better? Sure, with a higher budget or more room to build on. Have we seen worse elsewhere? You'd have to be majorly disappointed to deny that. Will it be a hit with visitors in general? That seems pretty certain, which is a good thing considering what a revenue increase would enable the park to do in the future.

Will

Strata Poster
As others have said, we've basically got Wicker Man in reverse - with WM, we'd all been expecting utter mediocrity, so when it was slightly better than that, it seemed a huge win. Here, we've had ~120 pages talking about how the ride will be the best in the UK (never likely, in my book as it's not built by B&M) and so anything less than that makes it feel flat.

Having said that, the reviews from so-called-VIP and media are still to be taken with a sizeable pinch of salt, as a few people have said. Let the dust settle from 'new ride syndrome' or better yet, ride it yourself and draw your own conclusion! Rides tend not to be running at their best in their first few weeks of operation, but the first of the semi-reliable reviews will probably start to appear today.

henryjwillis

Mega Poster
Yeah, it was very unlikely it was going to live up to the crazy high expectations people had. However, it's still arguably the most exciting thing to happen to the UK theme park industry for decades. Those who have been able to ride coasters all round the world may not thing this is top 10 or 20 worthy but for myself and many others who haven't ridden any coasters abroad I still reckon it'll be fab.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Poke is right - it’s a solid ride and something everyone should do. I’m hoping it’s a grower.

davidm

Strata Poster
Coaster Touring has applied a video filter to remove the fish eye lense effect, and makes the ride seem slightly faster:-
Huh weird ; that youtube link is now to the CF copy of the POV (the original wide-angle one) - has someone been sneakily editting the only useful post ATI has ever made?
The processed one is here ; youtu.be/iDwz-kUm2d4 (link rather than embedded)