What's new

Best & Worst Names

BigBad

Mega Poster
Some coasters have great names. Lake Compounce must have been proud when they thought up Boulder Dash. That's such a terrific pun. Nitro is also a great name. It makes a bit more sense for a launched coaster, but using kind of a slang science term for a known explosive is awesome for a huge coaster. I also like Zumanjaro as a play on Kilimanjaro, even if it's not a coaster and the area is themed to India.

Those parks did have some lapses in judgment, however. Phobia Phear Coaster shouldn't use the ph for fear. It would have been fine to do that for Phobia Phear Phlight, but without that symmetry, it's just dumb. Great Adventure also missed with Kingda Ka. Maybe they did their research into how Hindi works, but doesn't King Daka make more sense? Is it supposed to be the king of the Ka region? I've always disliked its name. I'm not sure that King Daka is much better, but at least I get what it means.

What do you think are good and bad names, paired at a park or otherwise?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
All recycled, generic, and overused names are pretty bad imo. There is 0 originality in them. I also was never a fan of Lightning Rod's name. Remember Shot Rod? That was 1000x better.

One of my favorite coaster names is Thunderbird. The name itself sparks off visions of a big, legendary bird soaring overhead in the midst of a storm. I love it. I also really like Sooperdooperlooper's unnecessarily long name. Outlaw Run and Powder Keg are also names I'm quite fond of.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I really enjoy those names that are simple and make contextual sense. Simple concepts that require little-to-no explanation. Some favorites:

- Millennium Force
- Expedition Everest
- The Voyage
- Phantom's Revenge
- Hydra the Revenge
- Banshee
- Gatekeeper
- Ravine Flyer II

On the flip side, those names that are complex or requires more explanation are not a top pick. Cookie cutters and blatant promotions are also not appreciated So not-so-favorites:

- Rougarou
- Cú Chulainn
- Intimidator
- Goliath
- Batman/Superman
- RMC rebranding names (New, Iron, Twisted, Wicked, etc.)

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I love ridiculously sounding names: Wan Wan Coaster Wandit, Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain, Rock N Roll Duncan, Havoc In Heaven Palace, Wallis's Wonderful Wriggling Wirral Wacky Worm.
I love accomplished alliteration: Mystery Mine, Joker's Jinx, Riddler's Revenge, Tennessee Tornado, V2: Vertical Velocity
I love sublime rhymes: Stress Express, Flying Ace Aerial Chase
I love words that define the ride: Oblivion, Voyage, Maverick
I love when the best IPs exist in coaster form: Spongebob Square Pants Rock Bottom Plunge, Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster, Hello Kitty Angel Coaster, Peter Rabbit Coaster
I love haunting imagery: Phantom's Revenge, Vampire, Raptor, Raven, Alpengeist
I love pleasent imagery: Apollo's Chariot, Hollywood Dream, Thunder Dolphin, Great Fluffy Sky Adventure, Sequoia Adventure
Others I like: Baron 1898, Top Thrill Dragster, Magnum XL 200, Shivering Timbers, X:/No Way Out, Thunderhead, Nemesis

Cornball Express is just the worst.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
Best Coaster Names (IMO):
The Big One
Nemesis
Magnum XL 200
Riddler's Revenge
Phantom's Revenge
Sheikra
Revolution
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Boardwalk Bullet
Fly The Great Nor' Easter
Infusion
Mind Eraser
Top Thrill Dragster
Banshee
Blue Streak

Worst Coaster Names (IMO):
The Joker
Galactica
Rita
Ninja
Goliath
Big Loop
Vortex
Silver Star
Nitro

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Some personal faves-
Th13teen
Oblivion

Not so good-
Silver Star
The Dragon
Rita
The Smiler
Furious Baco

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Best coaster name ever, no contest:
http://rcdb.com/13697.htm

Other favourites include:
Nemesis
Oblivion
Alpengeist
Leviathan
Gatekeeper
Outlaw Run
Maverick
Helix

Turd names include:
Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket
Flying Over The Rainforest (wtf?)
Rita
Bizarro
As mentioned, any of the RMC prefixes (New/Wicked/Twisted etc..)
<Insert comic book character here>: The Ride.
<Anything> Mouse.