What's new

Best Theme Park in the UK

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Neal said:
Alton Towers - no contest.

This.

However, in an effort to make this a non +1 post, these polls have been done a gazillion times before, so I suspect this will be locked sometime soon.

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
Alton Towers,great ride line-up,nice bit of theming,job done.

But I do have a rather soft spot for Chessie too.

andrus

Giga Poster
Well I do think there is a similar topic in the "polls & opinions" section of the site.. But I'll answere the question anyways! :)

Thorpe

Because it has more thrillrides than Alton and you don't have to run that long distances. And of course because I personally consider Stealth to be the best coaster in the UK!

NASHER

Roller Poster
forpe <3
nah, Alton by a country mile...there really is nothing else on that scale here!!
Although if I had to choose a park to go too tomorrow it would undoubtedly be Blackpool, because I have done Alton literally to death...but for a visitor to the UK, definitely Alton! :)

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Alton by far. There is nothing that can be compared to it in the UK.

Blackpool isn't really a 'theme' park. To me a theme park needs proper theming. Blackpool is more of an amusement park with some themed rides. Although I would say it is the second best park in the UK if every park is included.

A

Anonymous

For me, Blackpool Pleasure Beach has transcended being a mere amusement park by the respect that it has shown to the heritage of its rides, several of which are from the 1920s to 1950s (the Fun House would still stand too if it hadn't burn down). It also weaves some rides in and out of each other, creating more of a sense of an overall design plan than some amusement parks might have. This makes it a true theme park to me, one of the themes being being a sort of historical survivor of the golden age of wooden rollercoasters.

Alton Towers' concentration on extreme rides doesn't fit especially well with the country setting (The Ultimate at Lightwater Valley showed magnificently how it can be done, although the rest of the park has sadly stood still or declined since its 90s heyday). It's ironic that Alton Towers neighbours have long scuppered a tall wooden rollercoaster ever being built due to noise and visibility - such a rollercoaster would actually respect its setting much, much more.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
I always used to answer Alton to this question, but at the moment, after having had a bit of time away from theme parks, i'm finding I don't miss it quite as much as I miss Blackpool.

I don't know if its just down to the fact that i've done Alton so many times now that its spoiled that magic that used to exist, but I find the charm of Blackpool more appealing. Especially at night, its a park thats got a bit of magic still for me.

...and for the sake of the question, i'm generalising the term 'theme park' to mean "anything with rides"...

A

Anonymous

Alton Towers by a mile, Such a good selection of rides and attractions.

luke8

Mega Poster
How anyone can seriously say Thorpe has always been an odd one for me - I fail to see how as an overall, all-round theme park, it is better than Alton?

I mean it's good to fulfill your 'YEAH FORPE LOLZ LOADS A' FRILLS **** OFF" - but as a proper, overall attraction? I'd put Thorpe about 4th or 5th on a UK List to be fair.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^No, it isn't obvious, or the question wouldn't need to be asked.

Please read the CF rules, which you would have been sent when you signed up: http://www.coasterforce.com/rules

So far, all we're seeing from you is spam posts, with little or no thought going into them, and contributing sweet FA to the topics you post in.