• Frontier city

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Of the ones I've been to (missing Over Georgia, Mexico and Frontier City so far), I'd put them into the following categories - based on my experiences and days at those parks.

Bottom-Tier
Six Flags America - dump.
Six Flags Darien Lake - see above, but at least I got the Superman cred at this one.
Six Flags St. Louis - the park itself isn't bad, but it's not exactly great either.
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom - I went pre-RMC, and didn't think the place was up to much.
Great Escape - pretty, but the coaster selection is crap.
[I'd hazard a guess that Frontier City would slot in here somewhere]

Mid-Tier
La Ronde - bottom of the mid-tier, but I really enjoyed my day here and I quite liked the inner-city-but-not-really vibe it had going on.
Six Flags New England - I went pre-RMC, but still thought this had a pretty decent coaster selection.
Six Flags Fiesta Texas - a decent park marred by a rather heavy handed bad weather policy.
Six Flags Great America - top of the mid-tier, but I also only went pre-RMC (and Maxx Force) so it might jump up a tier if I were to revisit.
[I'd hazard a guess that Mexico would slot in here somewhere]

Top-Tier
Six Flags Over Texas - actually had a really great day at this park.
Six Flags Great Adventure - a pretty solid line up, and home to a few of the true icons (albeit none of them are 'stunning').
Six Flags Magic Mountain - best of the lot, in my opinion.
[I'd hazard a guess that Over Georgia would slot in here somewhere]

Indy

Hyper Poster
From a coaster standpoint, Six Flags Magic Mountain is the clear winner.

From an overall experience and theming standpoint, Six Flags Mexico is the clear winner and received my vote.

StevenX

Roller Poster
Magic Mountain. It does get a bad reputation in some circles but it's always been great when I've visited - except X2 always being closed. It's actually landscaped nicely in some areas.

Discovery Kingdom is the worst I've been to by some margin.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Can't decide between Magic Mountain and Great Adventure for the top slot. MM was my first taste of the Six Flags experience and I enjoyed it immensely. X2 is still a top 5 coaster for me.
On the other hand Great Adventure, despite having fewer coasters, seemed like a greener, nicer place to be.

Great America sits firmly in the middle. Lots of coasters, some very good, but none of them particularly stand out for me and it's also a bit... what's the word? Tarmac-y.

At the bottom we have Discovery Kingdom and St Louis. Neither of which are actually bad per se, just somewhat forgettable.

Of the ones I haven't been to, I'm quite keen to get to Over Georgia one day, and at least one of the Texas parks looks good but I can never remember which one.

davidm

Strata Poster
Over the years, I've been to MM on 5 different trips (took me 3 trips to even get X/X2, stupid thing), GAdv on 3 different trips, GAm on 3 trips, STL on 3 trips - but MM was also my first experience of a 6F park (first experience of a US-chain park in fact). (The other ones, just once or twice apart from Mexico)

There's some very good coasters at GAdv no doubt, but the park itself I borderline hate, awful layout, shabby and last time I went whole sections closed off, whereas I've always had a pretty good time at the Mountain (even back in 2010 when I had food poisoning the whole day). GAm I quite like too but STL I only went to by accident the last time.

So SFMM for me. Easily.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I've done 5 of them.

I can never decide whether I like Six Flags Great Adventure or Six Flags Great America best so they're joint top. SFGAdv has some bit hitters like Ka, Toro and Nitro but SFGAm has an interesting, varied line-up of cool, quirky and fun things like whizzer, the log flume, goliath, american eagle etc.
Six Flags New England- I feel like this park lacked the atmosphere of SFGAdv and SFGAm. It's got some good stuff but not loads of amazing stuff.
Six Flags America - a few interesting things, like superman and joker's jinx but lacking a bit.
Six Flags Darien Lake - simiar to SFA but lacking a bit more.

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
Depends on what you're looking for

A large coaster line-up: Six Flags Magic mountain takes the cake no questions asked.

A quality and varied line-up: Six Flags Great America or Great Adventure wins. (this isn't to call Magic Mountain's line-up bad)

Themeing with thrills: Six Flags Fiesta Texas wins with flying colors here

I've only been to Sfgam so I can't really talk about which is the best. I'll probably always have it as my favorite Six Flags park because it is my homepark and I've been there more times then I can count.

rideguy70

Mega Poster
I've been to every Six Flags branded park in the US (just missing the international parks and Frontier City, Great Escape). And Magic Mountain is basically my home park.

I actually sort of prefer SFGrAdv... mainly because of it's crazy theming, and huge variety of flat rides--which are completely non-existent at SFMM--as well as the animal park option. The coasters may be "meh" as a whole, but as a collective park, it's got something for everyone.

Fiesta Texas is a close second for the amazing theming as well. I'd put SFMM 3rd... it is a pretty good coaster line up, and has sections of nice theming here and there (notably Rapids Camp area), but it's severe lack of flat rides really hurts it. Great America and Over Texas would be just behind that.

lom.lom.lom

Roller Poster
I've only been to four and I'd rank them

1. Six Flags Great Adventure - home park, amazing line up and great top 4
2. Six Flags New England - among the best top 2s, a pretty cool vibe for a Six Flags park, terrible parking lot situation, ops can make or break experience
3. Six Flags Darien Lake - I very much dig the park and the lack of DC branding, I also particularly liked Viper and Predator so they have a solid line up IMO
4. Six Flags America - dump, I liked Wild One though

Magic Mountain has the full package, in my opinion. I know a lot of people rip on the atmosphere, but I actually didn't think it was an ugly park despite the layout being quite odd. Their selection of attractions is very well rounded as well, and I would say only rivalled by Great Adventure. I think the clientele at Great Adventure as well as the lackluster atmosphere really knocks it from even being in contention with Magic Mountain.

That being said, Great Adventure still gets an honourable mention because it does have an incredible selection of coasters. It sits in the runner up position alongside Over Texas and New England.

Bathtub Gin

Roller Poster
I originally selected Fiesta Texas, but recently got to spend a few hours at Magic Mountain- a park I had been wanting to get to for 20+ years. Had a fantastic time that exceeded all expectations, and so I revised my selection. What a great collection of rides, and awesome setting. Looking forward to getting back at some point to spend some more (less rushed) time out there. Six Flags Over Georgia would be my third pick, followed by Great Adventure (haven't been since the El Toro/Kingda Ka/Chang/Jersey Devil additions- but I did get on Chiller and GASM), and then my home park of Great America, which has been trending downwards because of their shoddy "15 seconds and it's over" additions over the last decade. The only major SF parks I haven't had a chance to see yet are Six Flags Over Texas, and New England.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
SFMM and SFGAdv are the coaster capitals but god are they soulless dumps, SFFT takes it by a country mile.

lom.lom.lom

Roller Poster
SFMM and SFGAdv are the coaster capitals but god are they soulless dumps, SFFT takes it by a country mile.
Aw I wouldn't say SFGAdv is soulless, aside from the two DC areas near Superman/Green Lantern and Batman/Dark Knight. I like the shady walkways and the lake and drinking margs by El Toro.