What's new

Best and Worst Coaster Names?

TilenB

Strata Poster
Valravn's spelling
Just a short note on that, Valravn is named after a creature in the Danish folklore. It's not like Cedar Point thought of naming a coaster Wall Raven and editing it to Valravn to make it sound more marketable.

I agree with you on Velocicoaster, though. It sounds like a project name that somebody forgot to change when they announced the ride and the park just decided to go with it.

Otherwise, I don't think 'Superspeed Cool-Cool Bear' had any competition when it came to best named coasters back when it was still in operation.

Another one that has always bothered me is iSpeed. Might not sound like much nowadays, but calling a coaster that in the era where Apple debuted a new iProduct every other year does feel a bit cringey.

Leon_K

Mega Poster
Unpopular opinion: I actually like the name Hagrids Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure. Sure it's not catchy at all but I like the weirdness of it in a magic themed coaster.

Also have to give Alton Towers the credits for having the best coaster names (and themes) in a park.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
There's a few that have came to mind for this one:

Best:
Nemesis
Oblivion
Furious Baco
Dragon Khan
The Smiler
(It's such a weird choice for a coaster name, but makes me like it even more)
Hyperion
Velocicoaster
(Didn't like it at first but it's really grown on me, possibly helped by how good the coaster looks too)

Worst:
DC Rivals Hypercoaster
Nemesis Inferno
(this one just feels so lazy and I think it's a major reason that the two are compared to each other)
The Big One (If Thorpe's new coaster is built, they should get their sponsors back and call it The Pepsi Max...)
Saw The Ride (Another lazy name - I guess they couldn't have called it much else with it being themed to the horror franchise)
Any DC/Marvel superhero/villain named coaster....yes, you Six Flags.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
A smattering:

Good - Short, sweet, and to the point names. Bonus for clever word play
  • Nemesis
  • The Voyage
  • Raptor
  • Mako
  • Lightning Racer
  • Gemini
  • Grizzly
  • Vortex
  • Hydra
  • Phantom's Revenge
Bad - Clever whims that don't exactly hit
  • InvadR - apparently Vikings only use some vowels?
  • [Insert DC Character]'s [Insert Adjective] [ Insert Action Verb]
  • Anything titled "Boomerang", "Blue Streak", or "Dipper"
Ugly - you played yourself
  • Adding numbers next to names - 305, 325, 75; just let the names stand on their own.
  • De-IPed-names - former Paramount, Six Flags, and other attractions that were named for movies for specific trademarks, only to be renamed. Skip the IP and royalties - it was never worth it anyways.
  • [Structural material/action verb] [Name of Roller Coaster that was RMCed] - I get it, the intended effect is that the ride has been improved through I-Box treatment. It's lazy writing, and a missed opportunity to just, go for an entirely different theme or vibe. Even "Steel Vengeance" is a little iffy of a name, as it creates a theme of outlaws "coming back into town to fight bad ol' Maverick" - a storyline noone wanted and still don't.

Heth

Mega Poster
Good:

Nemesis
Oblivion
Big Thunder Mountain
Colossus
Black Mamba

Bad:

Velocicoaster - the 'Veloci' part of the dinosaurs' name means "fast"...so this is "fastcoaster". Lame. Really lame.

Th13teen - Xtr3me K00l Lett3rz.

Silver Bullet - Good name, but ill conceived given THE COASTER IS ORANGE.

Ruth...

...wait, I mean Irene...

...no, actually Rita. Sorry, I got confused between the name of 70 year old ladies.

Steel Venom, Steel Force etc. - pure nonsense.

So Bad I Love It:

X:// No Way Out - unlike Th13teen this was acceptable in 1996.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
@Heth - I think "silver bullet" refers to a phrase of the same name which means 'a simple solution to a difficult problem; something that quickly solves/eradicates a long-standing issue'.

Thinking about it the difficult problem is 'Knotts has no space' and the silver bullet is 'Just build really high'. Then it makes sense, and becomes an almost alright name.

Heth

Mega Poster
@Heth - I think "silver bullet" refers to a phrase of the same name which means 'a simple solution to a difficult problem; something that quickly solves/eradicates a long-standing issue'.

Thinking about it the difficult problem is 'Knotts has no space' and the silver bullet is 'Just build really high'. Then it makes sense, and becomes an almost alright name.

I get the reference of the name, but even then it winds me up that not even the supports are grey!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
who was high when making that name
The honest answer is that these sort of names are usually distorted translations, not so much that they've got these sorts of names on purpose.

It can be rather entertaining, though.

Trax

Hyper Poster
Bad:
Names which include sponsor names:
blue fire megacoaster powered bei Nordstream 2
I mean... not only is this name way too long, but why? WHY?

The Ride to Happiness by Tomorrowland
The Ride to Happiness is already long and does not roll of your tongue, but than you have to put the sponsor behind it because of... money, I guess?

Still pretty bad:
Unnecessary long names:
Hagrids Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure
Jurassic World Velocicoaster (I really like the name Velocicoaster, though)
Wodan Timburcoaster (Why the Timburcoaster suffix? Pretty much no one will know by the Timbur that it is a wooden coaster anyway)
Arthur im Königreich der Minimoys (Just realized that it's just called "Arthur")

Good
Usually shorter names, with a nice sound to it:
Taron
Fenix
Icon
Nemesis

Last edited:

RcTmix

Mega Poster
For a moment I thought nobody had mentioned Candymonium for worst, yet. Upon checking I see that @SilverArrow mentioned it in post #19.

So I suppose I have nothing of substance to contribute other than to say that Candymonium is a truly horrible name. I like a good pun as much as the next guy, this is just so cringe.

Fun side note: my phone tried to autocorrect Candymonium to “Candy mom” which might have been an equally good name

Heth

Mega Poster
For a moment I thought nobody had mentioned Candymonium for worst, yet. Upon checking I see that @SilverArrow mentioned it in post #19.

So I suppose I have nothing of substance to contribute other than to say that Candymonium is a truly horrible name. I like a good pun as much as the next guy, this is just so cringe.

Fun side note: my phone tried to autocorrect Candymonium to “Candy mom” which might have been an equally good name

Agreed, as many have pointed out elsewhere the pun doesn't even work, as pandemonium is pronounced Pand-ah-monium, not Pand-ee-monium like Candy.

I would like to nominate F.L.Y. for the worst names. Do the letter even stand for anything?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I would like to nominate F.L.Y. for the worst names. Do the letter even stand for anything?

Very few German words start with a Y. And it's hard to imagine a set of English words which work too. So one would imagine it's just stylised in that way and does not stand for anything.

However, my favourite thing about this is reading the rcdb entry:

Etymology​

F.L.Y. = Flying Launch Coaster.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Velocicoaster looks like a great ride, but damn what an absolutely awful name it is.

However, Th13teen absolutely takes the cake. Whoever greenlit that ought to be fired. Out of a cannon. Into a brick wall.

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
Best:
Phantom's Revenge: An actual good example a coaster paying homage to it's predecessor
Nemesis: Sounds cool
Maverick: Again it sounds cool
El Toro: Do I need to explain why?
Orion: It sounds cool.
Viper: This doesn't always work but on some like the one at Sfgam it fits as you weave into the wooden structure
Fahrenheit: The vertical lift fits.
Oblivion: You fall into a hole so it works.
Voyage: The ride is long.
Blue Fire: I don't know why but I really like this one.
Gemini: A really good name for a racing coaster, if only they didn't choose that ugly color scheme.
Cheetah Hunt: Perfectly fits the ride experience .
RailBlazer: Really cool play on words, a little cheesy but still works.
Wildfire: Again,it just sounds cool

Bad:
Hagrid's magical mouthful: WHY IS THIS NAME SO LONG!?!
Sik: Who's idea was it to theme a ride to clothing?
Dizzy Love and Whirling Passion: Why? Just why?
wicked Cyclone: The first of many wickedly bad RMC names on this list
Superman: Escape from Krypton: Why on earth do you go right back to Krypton?
New Texas Giant: Could SIx Flags have been any less creative
Medusa Steel Coaster: Yes, Yes they could.
High Speed Thrill Coaster: It's a kiddie
Steel Vengeance: I honestly don't know how to feel about this one
Scream!: Just a bad name

CoasterGoji_501

Roller Poster
best
GhostRider: the name is just pure gold.
Oblivion (alton towers): the name just makes sence when your litteraly staring into oblivion
goliath (great america) : with its roman theme and it being one of the biggest woodies to exist, it just makes sence.
jersey devil coaster: honestly idk why, its a cool for me
tatsu: a tatsu is a mytical flying dragon in SFMM myth that swoops up its victims from sky. also tatsu litteraly means dragon in japanese
gwazi: the perfect name for a dualing coaster themed to a lion fighting a tigers
outlaw run: if theres a coaster that looks like your chasing down outlaws, its this one
raptor: brid of prey+invert= fine wine
gatekeeper:perfect for a wing coaster at the front gate a cedar point
railblazer: makes sense considering yout blazing through the layout
el toro (great adventure): themed to a raging bull tearing across great adventure
intimdator 305: it really is one intimidating coaster thats for sure
hyperion: a hyper coaster themed to saterns moons
maverick: sounds cool

mid
flight of fear: cool sounding name, it just does not work for a premier LIM launch
lightening rod: the name is cool but i dont think hot rods sticks of metal that bring lightening
valravn: its a good name once you look into it's meaning
steel phantom (arrow phantoms revenge): the name does not really make sence but it sounds cool.
full throttle: name is nice, but its themed to YOLO.
jungle trail blazer(various fantawild parks) : take out jungle or add more themeing to the jungle park and its actualy good
el toro (GCI): same theme but not nearly a wild as great adventures
racer:it anit bad but it anit good
iron dragon: cool name for a god awful looking ride
wicked twister (rip): an impluse with a twister theme that has 2 twisting spikes
superhero named rides (various parks around the world): when done right it can be an elite name

bad
iron gwazi: do i even half to explain this one
corkscrew (various parks): if its on an arrow corlscrew than maybe but on pinfari looping zyklon, nah
Colossos - Kampf der Giganten: the name is right for the theme, it just does not sound good
helix: would litterally be a perfect fit for single helix family coaster and not a world class mack.
flight of the himalayan eagle music roller coaster: remove the "Music roller coaster" and its a mid name for a low tier B&M

cant decide
suspended looping coaster(various SLC knockoffs): gets to the point of the ride
mind eraser: it makes sense since your on an unbearably rough coaster with head banging inducing restraints that will erase your mind