What's new

Bad moments on good rides

Saw an old thread about good moments on bad rides...though this would be a fun topic...

Full Throttle-Brake drop

Iron Gwazi-zero g stall-
Completely forceless, and kills the flow for me

Silver Bullet-first drop

Hangtime-corckscrew and cutback
Both are forceless and kind if rough

Viper-literally any transition

X2-ski turn
It just does nothing

Velocicoaster-speed hills
Is it just me?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The zero-g-cutback thing on Steel Vengeance after the turnaround. Doesn't flow, is uncomfortable and adds nothing. Another zero-g-roll would have been much better.

Awkward transition for the sake of an awkward transition. A habit I hope RMC eventually get out of.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The indoor section of Karnan post-brake run. Doesn't flow, no theming. Ends the ride on a low note.

The turnaround on Colossos following the fab airtime hills. Just kills the momentum and takes a while for it to get going again.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
The zero-g-cutback thing on Steel Vengeance after the turnaround.
Definitely this, it's so quick and snappy I've always ended up bumping into the rider next to me during it and it adds nothing to the ride. A full roll would have flowed so nicely there

And to add another RMC to the list.... the last part of AF1's quad-down, and the hill up into the brakes are legitimately painful and ruin what otherwise is a fantastic ride but that last 50 feet or so, gross.

jasone

Roller Poster
First turn on Blue Fire, it’s just an underwhelming start. If it had a better first element I’d rate the ride much higher I think.

Last airtime hill on Taron, it’s a dead spot for me and it’s more pronounced because it’s right at the end of the ride.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
And to add another RMC to the list.... the last part of AF1's quad-down, and the hill up into the brakes are legitimately painful and ruin what otherwise is a fantastic ride but that last 50 feet or so, gross.
Agreed - I'd probably capture this under:
Awkward transition for the sake of an awkward transition. A habit I hope RMC eventually get out of.
There are a few others out there. The s-bend into the turnaround on Storm Chaser is awful, the final bunny hills on SteVe would be a lot better with one fewer and slightly bigger (see also Storm Chaser), I personally don't love th3 outerbank thing on Zadra.

They're not unique, mind. This stuff cropping up on Intamins (Kondaa) and Vekomas (Fonix) now too.

Trax

Hyper Poster
The Floater hill and the subsequent Overbanked on Hyperion. Guess from dynamic and intense to sluggish and forceless.

Juvelen‘s final hills. Whilst the ride is surprisingly intense and well paced for a family coaster, it’s final pair of hills are just there and add nothing to the ride experience.

The twisted bunny hop on Zadra. Very strong and unpleasant laterals, with extra pain coming from the shin-guards.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Nice thread, but I am waiting for the one about "Good moments on bad coasters".

🤓

RcTmix

Mega Poster
The trim’s right after the tunnel launch on Maverick. Are the necessary? Emphatically yes. Is it still a buzz kill? Yes.

The jojo roll on Copperhead Strike. The hangtime with lap bars is just awkward.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
The ending spike/brake/turntable on Batman @ Parque Warner Madrid.

The ride stops with so much wasted momentum so soon after launch 3 it gives me whiplash. The ride's duration is very decent (dare I say, sufficient) but this sequencing feels like the blast of LSM kinetic energy could have been better utilized.

Kondaa's Non-Inverting Cobra Roll. Looked like it would mix snappy s-hills a la Taron with some forceful G+ pullouts. In reality the rotation feels somewhat lackluster and faint. Hyperion's Twist n Dive is the considerably superior turnaround element for me.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
SteVe's cutback inversion. Too snappy.
Helix's final inversion. Too hangy.
Shambhala's post MCBR finale. Too short.
Kondaa's twisty double down. Too twisty.
Untamed's cutback inversion. Too snappy. See SteVe.
Wildfire's final airtime hill. No airtime.
Taron's final airtime hill. No airtime.
Zadra's wave turn. Too janky.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Love the rest of the ride but Valkyria's drop just feels like the real life equivalent of zooming into a photo. It's not 'bad', just much rather 'could have been better'. I think my main issue is the holding brake releases too gently as opposed to something like Oblivion. You're eased quite slowly into the drop, I would have liked some more oomph.

Rest of the ride is great.